Isx 15 will not start
06-15-2018, (Subject: Isx 15 will not start ) 
Isx 15 will not start
Hello, I have a following issue on my 2012 Kenworth t660 with Cummins Isx 15 cm2250 engine. I left sleeper fan on one time over the weekend, came back and noticed the fans, started the truck to see if it completely drained my batteries, it did start but was running weird, low rpm and then it just died and would not restart. I replaced all the batteries, still would not start. Pulled out the fuel pump which I know often caused problems, it already has been upgraded to steel plungers but one of the plungers was stuck.. replaced the plungers and rollers, and still no start. On insite it shows me that it wont hold the fuel pressure in the injectors. We replaced the shut off valve thing located to the front of injectors on the rail and still nothing. Any advice on what should we look for next? Thanks in advance!
replyreply
RE: Isx 15 will not start
In low voltage situations, the 871 isx will stop voltage to the injectors causing the truck to not start even though batteries will crank. I'm not sure if the newer ones do this as well.

Have you left a boost on for a hour or so then tried cranking?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Id listen for low pressure fuel pump. It may not be coming on. ALso look at ALL fuses. Those T660 sometimes has fuses in the battery box as well as in the front of cab.... If you have insite hook up and see what its telling you...When you turn it over will the RPM gauge move at all...Im leaning on that when the batteries was weak the start up may have zapped a fuse,,,
What part of the world is the truck in
replyreply
one of the plungers was stuck? ......wonder why? did you do the fuel pump head test? I think you apply low air pressure to inlet side of fuel pump head (off pump) and plungers should extend, then with springs off of barrels you flick the plunger down quickly with finger and it should return ....(this is all on cummins quick serve). On mine the book says the engine needs to turn over at a minimum of 150 rpm's ...I don't know if it wont start if slower tho. Sounds like to unrelated problems to me.
replyreply
Im just west of Chicago, checked the fuses in front of the cab, inside and by the battery, it seems to be in order. I have insite and I will hook it up tomorrow and do some more tests, and well first thing that came to my mind when it didnt want to start was the fuel pump, so we took it apart and indeed the plunger was stuck which could be a reason it didnt start, got new plungers and rollers, putted it all together and still nothing. Truck seems to start and just dies after few seconds, low pressure fuel pump turns on, I will need to find my compucheck fitting somewhere and see the pressure. I really wonder if theres some low voltage protection on Kenworth, because before that truck was running flawlessly.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.