In-frame, what to do with ECM? Need guidance
04-13-2016, (Subject: In-frame, what to do with ECM? Need guidance ) 
In-frame, what to do with ECM? Need guidance
My motor is coming along, hopefully be up and running by Friday this week. But, here is the question the owner of the dealership has asked me, and I don't know the answer.

When they near the end of the in-frame, they normally do their thing on the ECM with a clean program and whatever else they do. I have the @m*m^2 on there, and do not know how to proceed? I was going to ask Unilever to do a fine tune on her, but what do I tell, or allow the dealer to do? They know about the MM. Need some guidance here.
replyreply
RE: In-frame, what to do with ECM? Need guidance
Run it like ya brung it! Do you really think they can improve it?
You running 485 or 650 tune?

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
Just leave it as is,.. break the motor in good (heat it up really good once/borderline overheat it) when it gets cranked up, and let her rip, drive it hard for about a week or so -- drive it like hell to get everything seated in. Just be sure to not let it go above 38 lbs of boost if you can.

if they are using the new step (anti-carbon packing) liners, and pistons, I thing they lowered the compression ring a bit on them. this means slightly lower compression in the enigne too,.. so maybe turbo needs slight adjustment to get it back perfect.

I will be facing the same thing on mine when it gets back together.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Ok, that is what I wanted to know and what my thinking was. Just wanted to make sure this was the correct route. As far as which tune, it is at 485 hp, right where I plan on leaving it unless there is a reason to return the motor to it's factory 600hp state. I do want Unilever to go through the programing and really tune this thing in. When should I do that, the fine tune? Give it a week or two, or would a few days after getting her back be ok?

i will check on those pistons and liners, I did not know that.
replyreply
(04-13-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  My motor is coming along, hopefully be up and running by Friday this week. But, here is the question the owner of the dealership has asked me, and I don't know the answer.

When they near the end of the in-frame, they normally do their thing on the ECM with a clean program and whatever else they do. I have the @m*m^2 on there, and do not know how to proceed? I was going to ask Unilever to do a fine tune on her, but what do I tell, or allow the dealer to do? They know about the MM. Need some guidance here.
I'm curios what they want to do?
What actually shop can do with Insite related to in frame - reset faulty codes, reset DPF.
Are you sure they not want to lure you in situation to drop warranty.
replyreply
(04-13-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(04-13-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  My motor is coming along, hopefully be up and running by Friday this week. But, here is the question the owner of the dealership has asked me, and I don't know the answer.

I'm curios what they want to do?
What actually shop can do with Insite related to in frame - reset faulty codes, reset DPF.
Are you sure they not want to lure you in situation to drop warranty.

The shop owner asked me the other day about flashing the ECM, putting the latest software on there and making sure that I did not want them to do that. I told him no, just leave it alone. But, it was fine to use Insite to set up the new Turbo and do anything test wise, just don't get into Calterm and play with the programing. He seemed cool with that. I just wanted to be sure this is the correct course on my end to take. This is my first rodeo on this in frame stuff, and figured it was a good question to ask. I don't see him trying to weasel out of any warranty, this reflash is a part of their in frame service and is typically done. Like I said, just don't mess with the programming, resetting codes is fine.
replyreply
That just sounds like salesman talk for updating the calibration to the latest revision. There's no reason at all to touch the calibration if it was stable before the rebuild & the shop is putting all your block off plates back where they were.
replyreply
(04-13-2016 )Signature620 Wrote:  That just sounds like salesman talk for updating the calibration to the latest revision. There's no reason at all to touch the calibration if it was stable before the rebuild & the shop is putting all your block off plates back where they were.

No plates on my baby.... Calibration is good, but I still want it fine tuned to get the most out of her, which I will do. And no, he was not selling anything, just wanted to make sure what the plan was going to be when we get to that point where they hook up the laptop.

The reason I asked, is because I was not 100% sure with what goes on when one of these motors are rebuilt. This is my first rodeo and only want to have to do this once. This is very stressful for me, hurting my marriage and finances like no other truck I have owned has. Over the past two years it has sucked us dry, an unreliable bucket of bolts. First it was the EGR system and then I found Rawze, which saved me then. And then the head gasket failed this year, along with allot of other parts and pieces due to just wearing out.

I try to do as much work as I can on her, but I am no mechanic and yet have invested quite a bit in tools and test equipment. This is not the trucking I am used to doing. The days of changing the oil and filters along with regular greasing and general mainteance are long gone. Now I need to wear an engineering and mechanics hat to keep the truck on the road. This has not been a pleasant ownership experience.
replyreply
Maybe a dozen rose's for the wife, and a reminder that you still love her, may help.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.