Looking to purchase first truck! HELP
07-08-2018, (Subject: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP ) 
Looking to purchase first truck! HELP
Hello to everyone!
I'm a newbie so please take it easy on me. A few months back I made the decision to go do what I always saw as my dream job and of course that's owner operator. in the past years I have held a few different positions mostly welding related but now I seek to pursue one of my dreams and that's to own a big rig trucking company.
the goal is to start out small and maybe end up with a few trucks and a custom truck for me of course but for now I'm looking for guidance and all the information that you guys can give and share with me so I make a great purchase for my first truck.

Guys I'm needing some advice my advisors that I have are very biased towards the 12-7 Detroit which is a great engine but the only downfall is getting a truck with that engine sometimes it means getting a truck with a million plus miles and I'm a newbie I do not want to be overwhelmed with breakdowns.

I will be honest that I love all big rigs nothing is too far-fetched for me but one of my favorites is the t660 by Kenworth and the Peterbilt 386 but as you know there are only a few of these trucks for sale with the caterpillar motor and the rest have the ISX or Paccar. My advisors has warned me over and over how bad the ISX motors are and how costly it is to repair so after reading on this forum it has enlightened me about the ISX motor I definitely do not want the paccar motor. On the table is also the W900 with a cat or Detroit.

I have found quite a few t660 and Peterbilt 386 with decent miles 500,000 to 600,000 Plus with the ISX motor for good prices. with all this being said what are your thoughts on the trucks that I have on the table to choose from for this new career Adventure
replyreply
RE: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP
Questions:
1. Should I ask for the dealership to send the truck to Cummins to have over-head run before purchase? (Included in purchase price) What does something like this cost$$$?

2. What are the main sensors that you would replace with 500,000 + miles?

3. How often should the over- head be done on the ISX engine?(Is there a general maintenance section?)

I have always loved Volvo trucks.
4. It's there a certain model with a really good ISX motor?

5. How does the regin systems hold up on the trucks listed above? Is there any trucks to stay far away from regarding the regin system?

6. Live in GA- are there any recommendations for great used truck dealerships?

7. I see some dealerships offer warranty on the used trucks.
What brand/company warranty is among the best?

I was told the ISX motors are ok 2011 and older?
replyreply
I say this not to insult, but to put into perspective what you have just posted there ...

As a veteran truck owner, I can say that most of your post there screams of someone "running around with the blinders on" and "hanging out on TTR and crap social media". Most of what you have said sounds exactly like what is wrong with the bulk of breaindead company idiots over on places like that who "got it all figured out".

btw: You never mentioned if you even have a CDL license, how long you have driven, what kind of freight,... nothing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Oldad6150
Loggs, logging equipment and Recycled metal/steel
5years-CDL
All ready accepted to lease truck on with a company to hauling containers in and out the port and papermills.

Also- My advisors have 40years(combined) of experience in trucking. Im here to get other truckers perspective and compile the information and make my decision. I do call bullshit on something's that I'm told
that's why im doing research first. There is no such thing as a dumb question!

One advisor it's trying to b steer me to get a 379ex because that's what he loves and the other advisor said just get a truck with a 12.7 because he knows the engines very well along with the other 2.5millon people.

I don't have any Facebook or Twitter this the first truck forum I have have been on. So pump your air brakes and refer to the post above and all help is appreciated!
replyreply
379's and W900's are both nothing but fuel pigs on the highway. They do no good in highway applications except to stroke the ego of the poor bastards who would rather give more of their paycheck to the oil companies than to make a decent dollar. Trucks like Cascadia, T700, Prostar are meant for high profitability on the highways running typical freight. -- On the other hand, you can't take a cascadia or prostar off into the woods/off roads, they will fall apart. A W9 or 379 is not a bad choice if it is going to be off-roads and being beaten up by tree equipment, loaders, etc. Gear it for 55 - 60 mph (3.79's, 4.12's, etc.) for best profitability on those clunky antique road-show beasts. A T600 is sort-of in between these in some ways, but it would depend on how it is spec'd.

Consider that in you application,.. and BTW: -- the "guys in it for 40 years" tend to be set in their ways, have terrible driving habits, like big hoods that waste fuel and live mostly in yesteryear, can't stand anything new and will give you just as bad advice as anyone else.

Trucking is very different today than it has ever been in the past. You need to be willing to do a lot of work on your equipment yourself, spec it for the intended task and learn to make newer equipment work for you and not against you. That is why older drivers hate them,.. god forbid someone might have to learn to keep after newer, more efficient, equipment that yields a higher profit margin,.. Lazy and complaining about new stuff is much easier.

you keep saying "cat" and 12.7's -- that is fine and well, but cat replacement parts are getting to the point where parts just plain suck for them, and the 12.7's are in the same boat. If you don't want a dinosaur, then ISX it is, nothing wrong with them if you aren't going to be one of the droves of dumbarsse steering-wheel holders who refuses to maintain and keep after it. ALL newer engines are this way, there just happens to be more info out there on the ISX's,... my forum being one of them.

I would suggest starting by reading through this forum all you can and if you started telling others that I was your "advisor" like you have those other people you have been referring to, it would piss me off. -- I AM NO ONE'S "ADVISOR", it is a narcissistic statement to call someone that if they are not working for you as an employee, that were their not actual job title, or are not part of some legal representation in a court case. -- You ask a question on here, I will tell you what I think, the good, the bad, almost always opinionated, and it maybe even be incorrect,.. but I will still say it, that is why I created this place. If it helps someone along in their journey then that is the goal, nothing more.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , zero4 , Oldad6150 , DDB
(07-08-2018 )Dre912 Wrote:  Questions:
1. Should I ask for the dealership to send the truck to Cummins to have over-head run before purchase? (Included in purchase price) What does something like this cost$$$?

2. What are the main sensors that you would replace with 500,000 + miles?

3. How often should the over- head be done on the ISX engine?(Is there a general maintenance section?)

I have always loved Volvo trucks.
4. It's there a certain model with a really good ISX motor?

5. How does the regin systems hold up on the trucks listed above? Is there any trucks to stay far away from regarding the regin system?

6. Live in GA- are there any recommendations for great used truck dealerships?

7. I see some dealerships offer warranty on the used trucks.
What brand/company warranty is among the best?

I was told the ISX motors are ok 2011 and older?

#1 - I wouldn't even trust an OEM cummins shop to run the overhead valve adjustment on my own enigne, therefore I say to inspect it yourself and get some assistance if you don't know what your doing/looking for.

#2 -- all the stuff in my tune-up videos, clean out all the piping, clean out the EGR valve, Doser injector replaced if it is old, have the cans pulled, baked, flow tested, etc. and if it had DEF and SCR, inspected and clean out that too + replace NOx sensors that are more then 250k miles old.

#3 if you care about the engine, every 250k miles or so, and more often after it gets to 700+k miles.

#4 depends on your application and willingness to keep after it yourself what truck will yield the best long term profitibility.

#5 That is not truck based,.. but engine based. -- ALL newer engijnes with emiassions systems need regular clean out maintenence, sensor replacement, and service,.. the only question should be --- how much of it can you learn to do yourself and keep after BEFORE THERE ARE PROBLEMS so it does not keep you in the poor house.

#6 -- Ga motor trucks (jackson, ga) is a small mom-pop outfit that tries to stand behind their used trucks, but I can't vouch for them, never bought a truck there. I just know a couple people who have worked there. Other than that, I have no clue except to say that many people I know have had terrible luck with the bigger used truck stealershits, but that is everywhere, not just in GA.

#7 -- spend the $3,000 that warranty would have cost you on a set of tools and educate yourself on keeping after it,.. warranties typically are not worth the paper they are written on. Pick a piece of equipment that fits the job with an engine and emissions system that can be worked on and learned.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: zero4
Like Rawze had said read through this forum as much as possible and get a ISX you will be glad you did. And if your looking for one I got one for sale but this is one of a kind truck.
replyreply
I see that I will need to be careful with my choice of wording (advisors)! The guys are just some buddy’s of mine that I joke about them being my advisors.

LMAO- stealershits

I have found quite a few 2011-2013 T660s and Pete386s. (I will look for any post)

Would the dealer have the DEF system cleaned out before sailing a used truck or is it to costly? If so they should have documentation right?

Is there a post or section on the DEF system?( I will look but never hurts to ask)

I love working with my hands and I love to learn so I will be on this forum reading everything. I don’t mind working on my stuff but I know this will be a good bit more intense. I have a good friend that is a diesel mechanic. I also see the point that was made above about older guys being stuck in there ways. Thanks for the information, hopefully I posted in the right location. Keep it coming
replyreply
From experience, the dealer will tell you whatever you want to hear. My truck supposedly had a brand new dpf installed. Truck didnt last 3 weeks without needing constant forced regens. All they did was a maintenance reset to trick the truck into shutting off the plugged filter light.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.