Looking to purchase first truck! HELP
07-08-2018, (Subject: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP ) 
RE: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP
My opinion .... first it depends on if you have to comply? I haul logs. My favorite truck was one I just sold as it is no longer legal in California. What works in logging usually does not work over the road. We usually opt for lots of horsepower, lots of gears and a good jake, tall tires (24.5). The Pete I sold was a 79' b model cat 13 speed it was just a hard pulling truck but it was terrible on long highway hauls. If it were legal I would take a good older truck over a new one any day late 90's to early 2000's easy to work on and its an inexpensive way to start off. I have seen everything in the woods but if your off road a lot on bad roads stick to Pete, KW (not t600) Frieghtliner or Western star. C15-16 is a good engine or 60 series detriot and 13-18 speed 235-242 wheelbase. That's what works here. And I have seen Cascadia's pulling chip trailers they were missing a lot of parts (lower fairings) but they had the most awesome turning radius I have ever seen, dude could almost due a U-turn in highway with 45 ft chip trailer. Go nice but not show pretty.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
07-09-2018, (Subject: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP ) 
you are better of getting a ISX, lots of info on them. sort of easier to work on vs a volvo engine.

parts are easier to get a hold of. saw that you mentioned you like the volvo trucks, dont blame you. i got one, the steering on them really comes in handy when you need it. when i was a company driver, i drove pete's, freighliners and all in between. I preferred the Volvo's they just feel better inside when driving. people will argue dont go with them because they are less aerodynamic but hey their has to be some compromise.

so get w.e you want or need, just make sure its a ISX motor :D.

Good luck hunting!

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Oldad6150
I would also suggest you to read about engine models CM871, CM2250 and CM2350 here on the forum, and you will have a better idea what to get into.

Just my 2 cents.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
One item that I truly was over looking was the trucks gear ratio!
Is there a few years to avoid with the ISX?

What is the cost to have a truck demandated? Not approximate figures
I feel that this could be the best way to go.
replyreply
(07-09-2018 )Dre912 Wrote:  One item that I truly was over looking was the trucks gear ratio!
Is there a few years to avoid with the ISX?

What is the cost to have a truck demandated? Not approximate figures
I feel that this could be the best way to go.

Depends on what you are hauling. If general freight OTR something in the 3:50 range to 3:70. I would stay away from the 3:20 to 3:40 gears, just my opinion owning a 3:42 geared truck. If you are doing logging or off road heavy haul, 3:90+

If you find an automatic, I don't know enough about them to comment on the gearing.

Then the transmission, many 10 speeds out there, I prefer a 13 or my favorite, an 18spd. You can make money with all of them, just depends on the application.
replyreply
07-11-2018, (Subject: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP ) 
I was told the worse years for the DPF and DEF was 2009-2011.

What's yall advice about buying a truck in these years
range?
replyreply
Well, in all honesty they can all be bad years. It's not the dog system itself that fails but the lack of maintenance on the engine systems that compounds the problem. If your not planning on having the emission system "fixed" then plan on doing a egr clean out every quarter. Make sure all updates are done to the ecm and dpf systems as things have changed filterwise. My 2011 had the old design dpf in it as well as old calibration.

It's not all about "bad years" so much as it about bad maintenance. The unfortunate truth is most drivers wait until the last minute to do something about problems that come up. I see them all the time driving down the road with the check engine light on and dpf light blinking. The truck is telling you something isnt right yet the think as long as the shutdown light is off I will just drive it.

My experience with my 2011 cummins is as follows, dealership told me dpf filter was new. I made it 3 weeks hitting dealerships every 5 days to have a forced regen done. They couldn't figure out the issue as the pressure differentials were in spec. I pulled the can myself at home and used a blow gun to blow air through the filter from the outlet side. Know what I found out? It was full of ash. I blew and tapped out out a pile the size of a bowling ball. Since my emission system has been fixed properly I haven't had 1 issue in 3 years. But I keep on top of stuff. I inspect my truck every day and crawl under and over it everytime I get home. If I find anything questionable it gets pulled off 8nspected and either replaced, rebuilt, or put back on if it's still within spec. I don't kick the can down the road hoping I can get one more load before it breaks.

That's just my experience. The CM871 just runs it taken care of.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDB
I got an 18 spd and 3:36 rears and I absolutely hate it when I replace it will be 3:70 I pull a DD and they blow you know what. I do agree with the peterbilt 379 or389 and KW w9 stuff I have mine shut down to 65 on cruise and 70 on foot. My next venture will be 579 or T800 little more efficient.
replyreply
07-15-2018, (Subject: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP ) 
I have been doing a ton of looking and I have seen a ton of used international trucks with ISX Cummins with low miles for very $$ reasonable prices. Is there one truck you all would recommend over another? I do like the 9900 International!

Also what is the average price for demandateing an engine?
What is the down time for a job like this?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.