Looking to purchase first truck! HELP
07-08-2018, (Subject: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP ) 
RE: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP
(07-08-2018 )Dre912 Wrote:  Questions:
1. Should I ask for the dealership to send the truck to Cummins to have over-head run before purchase? (Included in purchase price) What does something like this cost$$$?

2. What are the main sensors that you would replace with 500,000 + miles?

3. How often should the over- head be done on the ISX engine?(Is there a general maintenance section?)

I have always loved Volvo trucks.
4. It's there a certain model with a really good ISX motor?

5. How does the regin systems hold up on the trucks listed above? Is there any trucks to stay far away from regarding the regin system?

6. Live in GA- are there any recommendations for great used truck dealerships?

7. I see some dealerships offer warranty on the used trucks.
What brand/company warranty is among the best?

I was told the ISX motors are ok 2011 and older?

#1 - I wouldn't even trust an OEM cummins shop to run the overhead valve adjustment on my own enigne, therefore I say to inspect it yourself and get some assistance if you don't know what your doing/looking for.

#2 -- all the stuff in my tune-up videos, clean out all the piping, clean out the EGR valve, Doser injector replaced if it is old, have the cans pulled, baked, flow tested, etc. and if it had DEF and SCR, inspected and clean out that too + replace NOx sensors that are more then 250k miles old.

#3 if you care about the engine, every 250k miles or so, and more often after it gets to 700+k miles.

#4 depends on your application and willingness to keep after it yourself what truck will yield the best long term profitibility.

#5 That is not truck based,.. but engine based. -- ALL newer engijnes with emiassions systems need regular clean out maintenence, sensor replacement, and service,.. the only question should be --- how much of it can you learn to do yourself and keep after BEFORE THERE ARE PROBLEMS so it does not keep you in the poor house.

#6 -- Ga motor trucks (jackson, ga) is a small mom-pop outfit that tries to stand behind their used trucks, but I can't vouch for them, never bought a truck there. I just know a couple people who have worked there. Other than that, I have no clue except to say that many people I know have had terrible luck with the bigger used truck stealershits, but that is everywhere, not just in GA.

#7 -- spend the $3,000 that warranty would have cost you on a set of tools and educate yourself on keeping after it,.. warranties typically are not worth the paper they are written on. Pick a piece of equipment that fits the job with an engine and emissions system that can be worked on and learned.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: zero4

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking to purchase first truck! HELP - Rawze - 07-08-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.