Differential lock inop
07-11-2018, (Subject: Differential lock inop ) 
RE: Differential lock inop
The way it was explained to me years ago was in normal conditions each wheel will put down 25% of the load. If in this configuration 1 wheel looses traction 100% of the power will go to that wheel. Engage the power divider and each diff will receive 50%. If one wheel now looses traction all the power of that diff will go to that wheel. But you still have 50% of the trucks power still going to the other axle, 25% per wheel. If the loss of traction is bad enough you can have 1 wheel spinning on each axle.

Now to get into the diff locks. Most trucks that run the mountains will have a diff lock of some kind. I have what I call a "3 way" diff lock. Only 1 axle on my truck locks the wheels together so if I get into trouble only one wheel will let loose and as long as one of the other 3 wheel has traction I keep moving. With my setup I can still turn with it engaged. I would think most train trucks run a "4 way" locker. Both axles will lock giving maximum traction. With this set up you can't turn, all that will happen is you push the front end in whatever direction you're pointed.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Differential lock inop - kryten - 07-11-2018
RE: Differential lock inop - Unilevers - 07-12-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.