Result of a 2250 fuel pump failure
07-11-2018, (Subject: Result of a 2250 fuel pump failure ) 
Result of a 2250 fuel pump failure
Kw recently replaced the head due to high fuel return flow and left the old tappets in place. 486 k on the engine. The rest is left to the imagination. ./uploads/201807/post_2561_1531356231_487ef4306ce5630b889bef5208670ef2.jpg
This is what the roller pin looked like
The pump bores, neither could be removed as tappets were both mushroomed at the bottom.
Only the cam gear survived.
For some reason i forgot to take pictures of the oil pump when it was apart. Was totally destroyed.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Rounded_nut
RE: Result of a 2250 fuel pump failure
Oil cooler element.    

Oil filter was plugged but luckily no debris made it downstream of the filter. It did not tear. Pressure had fallen off from 40 psi to under 20 after the failure occured. No debris found in the bottom end bearings or in the geartrain bushings. Only had normal wear for 480 k. Runs like a top now. Will do first oil change in a few days. If anyone knows or isnt sure whats in your fuel pump pull the head off and verify. A new gasket will cost less than this guy will be paying. 8 k just in parts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Rounded_nut
Guy needed a new turbo too. The 3 little anchor pins that hold the cone on the compressor side vibrated loose or something, the cone then could fall down and the compressor wheel then nicely reshaped its self. A real kicker after have to do the other major repairs.          
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rockhwy , Rounded_nut
I'll add to your pics soon, I have a 2250 that ate the pump also. I was able to replace barrel and plungers with up graded steel. I had damage to the crank journals, not bad but it made the slightest of grooves on all the mains the rods were ok, rolled in new mains and rods. The job to flush the system was time consuming ...Mr. Hagg gave me the run down on how he does it over the phone and I followed his instructions. I did not have any chipped gears and the oil pump passed cummins data for clearances. On all the gears teeth I could see evidence of ceramic pieces going through ..it kinda imprinted material in the teeth? from the flush I got maybe a tablespoon of ceramic material, maybe a teaspoon of metal and .....three tablespoons of ...sand? looked like DG? The truck was a frac truck from Texas and I imagine they hauled sand with it ...which worries me how the sand got in there?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.