radiator core ???
07-14-2018, (Subject: radiator core ??? ) 
radiator core ???
This one is for the guys that have replaced their core.
Did you use any sealant or just installed the gaskets dry, as i'm getting ready to install a new core on my truck as my radiator just not cutting it any more and i got to fix and don't want to half ass it,and the radiator shop just want to much to fix it. So i'm going to have at it next weekend. :-/

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
RE: radiator core ???
similar thread ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid26710

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I'm not saying they're any better but a friend of mine purchased a brass tank/copper core radiator for his truck. He seems to like it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: stevesparts
07-15-2018, (Subject: radiator core ??? ) 
I was planning on installing an aluminum radiator and cac but trannys and clutches happened. I think id be hesitant to replace just a core on a radiator tho.
replyreply
Take a look at radiator works they have prty affordable oem replacement radiatirs, cac and condensers
replyreply
"I think id be hesitant to replace just a core on a radiator tho."
Yes i'm the same but,it's just alot of bolts to undo.(W900L... Rawze favorite...to laugh at)
but my OEM is beat to death with rocks/shi#t and time on the lower part of it and is just not worth straightening out(again) the fins, So i order a new copper/ brass 4 core Dimpled as i'm always pulling hills and over 80,000 to 84,000(flatbed) but just wanted to know if it needed to have some RTV or something to seal it up(I'm thinking yes) as i just want to do it once and be good to go,and don't want it leaking out in the middle of WY,MT as there's not much out there where i run if i get into trouble. i can only carry so much coolant:)

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
Since ur set on replacing it. Yes id use rtv on the gasket. Clean mating surfaces and evenly coated. Thats what id do anyway. Shoot me a pm sometime id like to know how the dimple core keeps u cool. I pull hoppers in Louisiana poor thing cant get enough air flow.
replyreply
When I've recored radiators in the past all I've used is cork board type gasket material. You can get it from auto parts stores or radiator places. I never had a problem with leaks. Just make sure you replace ALL the many many bolts that hold the side tanks on and make sure you use a torque wrench and go around it couple times with an hour or 2 waiting period between checks. I also used lock washers that didn't come on the factory bolts. IMO It's time consuming but worth it. You don't want to over squish the gasket or have the gasket material relax after you put the frame work back on. Also it's great advice from Rawze to replace the foam and not stress the frame on to radiator (within reason) they can be a bit temperamental with new foam and will relax after its in the frame for awhile.

*** edit
I used RTV silicone at the seams and corners of the gasket.
replyreply
I worked in a radiator shop as a kid rebuilding semi truck radiators, back then we used cork gasket strips and ..... I think we just used a glue .... mainly to hold it in place for assembly ...then ran bolts through the holes with air gun. Make sure you mark the position of bolts that are different and if they face a different way. Its impairitive to put it back as it was. And don't over tighten!!!!!!! I didn't use a torque wrench .. just watched how much cork was pushing out, stop after movement. I got an hour to disassemble clean ends and reassemble with new core ......slave drivers!!!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: stevesparts , Roysbigtoys

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.