radiator core ???
07-16-2018, (Subject: radiator core ??? ) 
RE: radiator core ???
(07-15-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  I worked in a radiator shop as a kid rebuilding semi truck radiators, back then we used cork gasket strips and ..... I think we just used a glue .... mainly to hold it in place for assembly ...then ran bolts through the holes with air gun. Make sure you mark the position of bolts that are different and if they face a different way. Its impairitive to put it back as it was. And don't over tighten!!!!!!! I didn't use a torque wrench .. just watched how much cork was pushing out, stop after movement. I got an hour to disassemble clean ends and reassemble with new core ......slave drivers!!!!!

A torque wrench would have been more consistent. I cringed when I saw "air gun" lol.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-23-2018, (Subject: radiator core ??? ) 
OK. I did the core this weekend and it really was not as bad as i thought it was going to be, but just a lot of fu#%ing bolts:( but i got it back together and still got no leaks on the test run,(still dry this morning:) ) but tonight will be the 1st loaded run for it
and its going to be a good test it as its about 52,500 in beams going to rapid city. So some good hills to try it out but i did install the gaskets dry NO RTV as they where the rubber/cork mix type and from what i got out of it was if you put RTV or that on it the gasket would squirm out in spots due to the sealant making it slide.
post more after i get back to tell if i messed up or if it was a success to not use the sealant

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
10-28-2018, (Subject: radiator core ??? ) 
Well it been a bit but the core has performed really well for something off of fleabay real happy with it, and has not leaked as i did not use any rtv and installed the gaskets dry(rubber/cork type)
had they been just cork or a 2 or 3 piece i would have used sealant.   did i mention bolts a lot of them..:)   and all torn apart.
So if your thinking of doing you core your self go ahead as it was not hard to do just a PITA to get out and back in and torque all those bolts...:waaaht:

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , snailexpress , flatbed94kid , Diesel_Pusher
11-01-2018, (Subject: radiator core ??? ) 
The product I have extensive experience with is 3M 5200...Moisture cured urethane.
Stays flexible for 20+/- years. Cannot be pulled lose. Is as strong as most things you'd put it on.
Cures in several days, to the consistency of tire rubber. Will NOT come loose.
Nowhere near cheap but utterly reliable. I've never had it fail.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
11-01-2018, (Subject: radiator core ??? ) 
(11-01-2018 )Diesel_Pusher Wrote:  The product I have extensive experience with is 3M 5200...Moisture cured urethane.
Stays flexible for 20+/- years. Cannot be pulled lose. Is as strong as most things you'd put it on.
Cures in several days, to the consistency of tire rubber. Will NOT come loose.
Nowhere near cheap but utterly reliable. I've never had it fail.

The only bad thing about it is an opened tube doesn't store very long, and it's pricey to toss, but I agree - great stuff. Never thought to use it for this application.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.