Cummins Fuel Pump
07-17-2018, (Subject: Cummins Fuel Pump ) 
Cummins Fuel Pump
I have read about problems with Cummins fuel pumps, and I’m wondering if it is suggested to replace it even if nothing has gone wrong, and if there is a suggested aftermarket fuel pump to replace it with. Or should I just keep aware and keep my eye open for it? I have a ISX CM2350 in a 17 KW T680. Maybe it’s not even an issue anymore either like it was before I don’t know.
replyreply
RE: Cummins Fuel Pump
I know the newer ISX engines have an issue with eating fuel pump plungers that can be very destructive to the engine. Many posts on here of that subject, do a search. I don't personally own one to know first hand but many here do. I've also seen some nice ISX's bricked because of them. Replace them before it's a problem, the engine won't give much warning. Definitely an item you want to be proactive with and not reactive.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jorg81
if you have the ceramic plungers its a definite repair. There are no aftermarket units that I know of. Cummins replacement is $3800.00 bucks. You can still get repair parts but they are secretive about it. I think the biggest problem was cm2250 from 2010-2013 but as with any manufacture run parts sneak in. Check your build date on engine it will be a year or two older than vehicle. Mine is a 2013 and build date of engine was 2010 and yes it had the ceramic plungers and yes they failed and yes it caused engine damage :-(
replyreply
(07-17-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  if you have the ceramic plungers its a definite repair. There are no aftermarket units that I know of. Cummins replacement is $3800.00 bucks. You can still get repair parts but they are secretive about it. I think the biggest problem was cm2250 from 2010-2013 but as with any manufacture run parts sneak in. Check your build date on engine it will be a year or two older than vehicle. Mine is a 2013 and build date of engine was 2010 and yes it had the ceramic plungers and yes they failed and yes it caused engine damage :-(

If I find out I have the ceramic plungers, can I have them replaced with non ceramic ones? I’m guessing the replacements wouldn’t be the exact same
replyreply
(07-17-2018 )Jorg81 Wrote:  I have read about problems with Cummins fuel pumps, and I’m wondering if it is suggested to replace it even if nothing has gone wrong, and if there is a suggested aftermarket fuel pump to replace it with. Or should I just keep aware and keep my eye open for it? I have a ISX CM2350 in a 17 KW T680. Maybe it’s not even an issue anymore either like it was before I don’t know.

The general consensus is to replace the guts (tappets, plungers, rollers etc.) of the fuel pump every 400k miles (or equivalent hours or so) as a preventative measure if you own a common rail ISX engine (CM2250/CM2350). This re regardless of what type of plungers etc. you have in it.

Here is a typical scenario ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid15389

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jorg81
(07-17-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-17-2018 )Jorg81 Wrote:  I have read about problems with Cummins fuel pumps, and I’m wondering if it is suggested to replace it even if nothing has gone wrong, and if there is a suggested aftermarket fuel pump to replace it with. Or should I just keep aware and keep my eye open for it? I have a ISX CM2350 in a 17 KW T680. Maybe it’s not even an issue anymore either like it was before I don’t know.

The general consensus is to replace the guts (tappets, plungers, rollers etc.) of the fuel pump every 400k miles (or equivalent hours or so) as a preventative measure if you own a common rail ISX engine (CM2250/CM2350). This re regardless of what type of plungers etc. you have in it.

Here is a typical scenario ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid15389

Thank you, I will plan on it. Mine is a 17 truck with a CM 2350 2013 engine. 239k Miles. I’ll plan on this maintenance in the next year
replyreply
07-18-2018, (Subject: Cummins Fuel Pump ) 
To add, you do need a special socket to get the fuel pump head off, but the 2350 had an issue with the roller pins so those have been updated, not a terrible job to do just make sure you get enough seal washers and that all the parts are there before you start, also a great time to replace the fuel pump actuator!
replyreply
07-18-2018, (Subject: Cummins Fuel Pump ) 
(07-18-2018 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  To add, you do need a special socket to get the fuel pump head off, but the 2350 had an issue with the roller pins so those have been updated, not a terrible job to do just make sure you get enough seal washers and that all the parts are there before you start, also a great time to replace the fuel pump actuator!

I’ll admit At this point I don’t have the slightest clue on how to do the procedure myself. Hopefully in a year I can say different.
replyreply
07-21-2018, (Subject: Cummins Fuel Pump ) 
It's not too hard, set up a quickserve account and the instructions are there, after rereading your post though you may have the latest version of the fuel pump, give Cummins a call with your serial number and ask if it has the latest hardened roller pins, I think it does.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.