Common sensors that go bad
07-17-2018, (Subject: Common sensors that go bad ) 
Common sensors that go bad
I’ve read that it’s a good idea to keep various sensors on hand just in case you need them but I’m wondering if someone could list some common ones that go bad so I know which ones to keep on hand. I’m a new guy trying to learn and be prepared.
replyreply
07-17-2018, (Subject: Common sensors that go bad ) 
RE: Common sensors that go bad
Keeping on hand -- no,... replacing/cleaning at regular intervals -- YES.

All the sensors in my ERG tune-up videos. Add to that the NOx sensors and def injector every 250k miles if you own a truck with DEF fluid.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jorg81
07-18-2018, (Subject: Common sensors that go bad ) 
The ones I replaced on an 871 were 1. intake temp just before the turbo, 2.exhaust temp (that's fed by a small tube) located top forward passenger side (can't see it from eye level it's behind some stuff). On drivers side 3. the post egr cooler temp sensor down stream from the egr valve, 4. a combo temp/pressure on the intake just before the head, and 5. the pressure differential sensor on the venturi pipe.
Guessing your engine is a little different in the layout but still using the same basic inputs.
Find them using quickserve.

in the past I had to read technical documents for motion control. each manufacturer has their own in house language. all devices work in a similar manner but getting used to the technical writers use of language always took some time.

all I could do was re-read the manuals until it clicked.

on these trucks you learn one thing. then you learn one more thing, and another after that. it takes time but what you learn doesn't leave you. it's additive and it takes time. you are investing your time and the payback isn't just familiarity but competency.

go back and read about waterloo's previous inframe. he relied on a shop to do the work. he was optimistic in his posts that the work was good and he had a winner.

then he found out it wasn't so and had to do it again. but this time he was hands on with help and advice and now he owns his truck. not just the title but the whole machine. don't know if he's done kingpins but by comparison a simple task.

let your eyeballs scan the text and don't worry if you don't get it the first time through.

the people here don't just drive trucks. it's a package deal.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Jorg81 , Pd6cas2
07-18-2018, (Subject: Common sensors that go bad ) 
Jorg81, the problem with keeping the sensors "on hand" is the cost involved with doing so. Most of the sensors run at least $100 for OEM, (don't buy the cheap knock offs), and NOX sensors run about $400 a piece!! Just do as Rawze says, clean them all at regular intervals and replace as needed! Your wallet will be a lot happier!
Or fix the problem permanently and there will only be a few sensors you will even need to clean.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.