Oil additive
07-18-2018, (Subject: Oil additive ) 
Oil additive
Im looking for a recommendation on a additive to clean the motor. I'm going to be doing an oil change in the day or two. Is there a product that i could add to the oil just clean the motor before i drop the oil?
replyreply
RE: Oil additive
Alot of times the best thing is just clean oil, pressure and heat from a running engine. Can't be too clean.

I've heard of alot of different things people have used. 'engine flush' products, kerosene, diesel, even ATF, usually used the same day before the oil is dumped. I can't recommend any of these, and none were on an engine anything like the ISX.

I can tell you this...I've looked inside a number of engines, and haven't seen a magical pill to clean out a dirty engine yet. I would go so far to say that some of these products may actually increase wear as well, I can see how it could break down oil and be somewhat abrasive. Nothing works better than clean oil changed regularly IMO.

I've been running my bypass filter and a filtermag on the full flow and couldn't be happier with how clean it stays. If it's dirty, why not decrease your oil change interval for a couple of changes before it gets loaded up?

I remember one lady who had a 78 Camaro, always complaining of leaking valve cover gaskets and her crazy oil pressure light. You couldn't put more than 3 quarts of oil in it either. Come to find out, it was so full of grime there was an impression of the bottom of the valve covers and intake caked up in it. The oil couldn't drain back fast enough to the pan and pooled up in the top of the engine. We tried alot to flush it out...she ended up with a new engine. I'm surprised it lived long enough to do that.

Remember if you use one, it'll probably lower your oil's hydraulic pressure rating since it'll have to be some sort of a solvent. I wouldn't want to pull loads like that...

...back when synthetics were coming on to the street scene, I remember being told at a seminar that cleaning out deposits can sometimes cause seals and gaskets to leak on an older engine as well. Not sure how much I subscribe to that, and if true, that tells me it was due for seals and gaskets anyway.

...just my opinion.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 74bassman
Thanks, I was just looking to see if there was anything that I could run for a few mins tgen drop the oil.
replyreply
07-19-2018, (Subject: Oil additive ) 
I’ve dumped the amsoil flush in my engine a couple times and the crap that was in the oil tub was nasty. There was a difference in the flush oil versus the regular oil dump.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.