APU or Generator
07-18-2018, (Subject: APU or Generator ) 
APU or Generator
I know how bad idling is so I’m trying to find my solution. I’m considering just getting a Honda inverter generator and a mini split AC. I’m wondering if y’all think this system will last on my truck or if I should just opt for an APU. I’m not a huge fan of carrying a gas can. That’s one of the drawback I see, but it could be ok if stored properly I guess.
replyreply
07-18-2018, (Subject: APU or Generator ) 
RE: APU or Generator
Shipshewana Indiana get a genset generator and Coleman roughneck roof mount I know the guy who does the work will order a new genset or go threw one he has. My buddy just installed a new genset and that roof mount for 12500.00 I know seems expensive but there all expensive. I’m ditching rig master for them units on 100 degree day best my rigmaster will do is 77 to 80 in sleeper.
replyreply
07-19-2018, (Subject: APU or Generator ) 
How much are you idling? What region or area's do spend most of your time?
Idling isn't always bad. If you never idle enough to justify 10-15k $$ for an apu plus upkeep, then idle away. I personally don't have 1. Never did. I carry a Honda generator and a space heater for the Winter. In the summer, I just idle till it cools off. I look for shady places to park. Use fans.
If your in the frozen north or the burnt south all the time then you may want to opt in to an APU. But even then, do the math.
You can get your engine tuned so that your idle fuel use is minimal. APU's sound nice but I can't see hanging another chunk of expensive metal off my truck without it completely paying me back.

Just some quick math.
$10,000 (cost of APU) converted to Gallons of fuel (say $3.50/gal) = 2,857 gallons of fuel you can buy.
Take that number and divide it by how much you idle a day (lets say 10 hrs/daily @ 1 gallon per hour. Most trucks are less, closer to .7per/hr but 1 is easy to work with) = 285.7 days of idling
Most guys only work driving 5-6 days a week (lets say 5 days) = 57 weeks of idling.

Thats over a years worth of idling if you're forced to idle that truck every single day your in it. Most guys own their trucks are tougher than company drivers because they know they save money by not running the truck plus half the time it nice outside so they brave some slightly uncomfortable temps .... That really extends that time frame of a little over a year out a ways before you get your money back in saved fuel.
I didn't even throw in the fact that the APU burns fuel and has maintenance costs.

Always do the math. Your running a business!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Jorg81 , simon999 , BobsYourUncle , barf , Toolguy
An APU is flat out an expense of luxury. I have an APU on my truck...

If you have a lot of "sitting time" in your truck because your an OTR solo driver who stays out for long periods,... Definitely worth the investment. Having one is like having a home with a central A/C and power vs living in a shack. The only question is to buy an actual APU made for a truck or to use a generator and portable A/C, etc. Both work, it is just a matter of spending more money on it or not.

Team drivers, or anything less than something you have to use daily, it will take 5+ years or more just to break even in costs vs idling. By then, the unit is ready for an inframe and lots of parts like alternators and A/C compressors + other things to keep it going only to learn that in some states it may no longer be compliant.

- There are alternatives to an APU. Like mentioned, custom engine tuning that reduces fuel costs at idle. It is not too difficult to adjust an ISX to go form 40+ milligrams per stroke in fuel consumption at idle all the way down to 12 or 14 milligrams per stroke. When this is done, it is very competitive to an APU in fuel costs when considering all things. This is done by advancing the injection timing at idle + relaxing the exhaust requirements. Doing this is not legal in some countries, god forbid someone wants to consume 1/3 the fuel at idle,... that would be bad for the environment eh?

The other alternative is to use a generator and portable A/C. Yes it may be gasoline but i can assure you that long term it is not any more headache than having an actual APU because all of the truck APU's are problematic and need constant maintenance in other ways. The generator idea is the most cost effective solution of them all. Something wears out you simply replace that part of it instead of the whole thing.

That is just my own thoughts on it, no one has to agree.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jorg81 , Oldad6150 , Chamberpains , zero4 , BobsYourUncle , dhirocz , barf , Toolguy
(07-19-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  How much are you idling? What region or area's do spend most of your time?
Idling isn't always bad. If you never idle enough to justify 10-15k $$ for an apu plus upkeep, then idle away. I personally don't have 1. Never did. I carry a Honda generator and a space heater for the Winter. In the summer, I just idle till it cools off. I look for shady places to park. Use fans.
If your in the frozen north or the burnt south all the time then you may want to opt in to an APU. But even then, do the math.
You can get your engine tuned so that your idle fuel use is minimal. APU's sound nice but I can't see hanging another chunk of expensive metal off my truck without it completely paying me back.

Just some quick math.
$10,000 (cost of APU) converted to Gallons of fuel (say $3.50/gal) = 2,857 gallons of fuel you can buy.
Take that number and divide it by how much you idle a day (lets say 10 hrs/daily @ 1 gallon per hour. Most trucks are less, closer to .7per/hr but 1 is easy to work with) = 285.7 days of idling
Most guys only work driving 5-6 days a week (lets say 5 days) = 57 weeks of idling.

Thats over a years worth of idling if you're forced to idle that truck every single day your in it. Most guys own their trucks are tougher than company drivers because they know they save money by not running the truck plus half the time it nice outside so they brave some slightly uncomfortable temps .... That really extends that time frame of a little over a year out a ways before you get your money back in saved fuel.
I didn't even throw in the fact that the APU burns fuel and has maintenance costs.

Always do the math. Your running a business!!

The summer is when I’m idling quite s bit. I’m down in Texas a lot and it’s been hot.
In the winter, I can handle done to about 25 degrees in my truck without anything besides extra blankets. I don’t think I’m going to go for an APU but I am considering the generator route and either a window ac or mini split. When I idle though, I’m using about 9/10 of a falling per hour because I idle it at 800rpm. I’m mostly worried about wearing out my motor early. So when I do the math I’m also thinking about the savings of the engine lasting longer because of no idling. I think I’d anything I’ll do the generator.
replyreply
Your not gonna put any significant extra wear on the engine if you use good oil and good maintenance practices and intervals.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: jdbfam
I personally went with a champion 3100 generator (remote start) that sits in the nose of my hopper wagon (dont even hear it running in the truck) i took a 12k btu window unit set it under the bunk and modified it. I removed the condenser extended the lineset and placed it outside the cab and cooled it with the biggest 12v radiator fan that would fit on it. Worked great until rough louisiana roads exposed flaws in my condenser mounting setup.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jorg81
I carry a Honda eu3000is. Secured to the tire chain rack. They run silent and with the 3 gallon fuel tank it'll run a space heater hot enough to put the windows down for 12 hrs before refueling. Been using it for 4 years no problem except a pull cord, 2 batteries and changing the oil and air filters.
I havent rigged up an A/C unit yet. Just because Im not happy with just sticking a window unit in. But I do like Smorgan87 idea of modifying the condenser to the outside. Hmmm. Something to look into.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jorg81
https://www.compactappliance.com/frigida...gJkHvD_BwE

Ya just vent it out the window. Most condensation evaporates, might have less than a 1/4 cup of water to get rid of
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.