APU or Generator
07-19-2018, (Subject: APU or Generator ) 
RE: APU or Generator
Only issue I had with the freestanding type was it pulled in more hot air than it put out cold air. Does that one have the separate air intake hose for the condenser or just the exhaust hose?
replyreply
07-19-2018, (Subject: APU or Generator ) 
(07-19-2018 )Grizzly Wrote:  https://www.compactappliance.com/frigida...gJkHvD_BwE

Ya just vent it out the window. Most condensation evaporates, might have less than a 1/4 cup of water to get rid of

I tried 2 of those and yes they pull in incredible amounts of heat for very little cool air. I threw both of the ones i had in the dumpster at the truckstop. I will never go that route again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
07-20-2018, (Subject: APU or Generator ) 
I just bought a Dynasys-SL with the cat motor installed $9,700. I put it on my t660 with a 86" studio and it keeps me cold in 90deg weather so far. The fan blows hard. I'm really happy with it so far. This model has the highest cooling BTU'S than any apu on the market today. It's a stand alone system. I had one of those 1st generation rigmasters that was just plain junk and wouldn't keep the truck cool or warm. This new SL is a beast. Only downfall is its noisy like a reefer running tho
replyreply
(07-19-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  I personally went with a champion 3100 generator (remote start) that sits in the nose of my hopper wagon (dont even hear it running in the truck) i took a 12k btu window unit set it under the bunk and modified it. I removed the condenser extended the lineset and placed it outside the cab and cooled it with the biggest 12v radiator fan that would fit on it. Worked great until rough louisiana roads exposed flaws in my condenser mounting setup.

You made your own mini split ac. Nice.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
I only use the app when it hot out and I'm being unloaded and cannot run the engine. Other than that, it's my emergency A/C, alternator and water pump so it hasn't seen many hours since I've owned the truck.

My APU burns more than twice the fuel of the main engine.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
07-21-2018, (Subject: APU or Generator ) 
(07-20-2018 )dhirocz Wrote:  I only use the app when it hot out and I'm being unloaded and cannot run the engine. Other than that, it's my emergency A/C, alternator and water pump so it hasn't seen many hours since I've owned the truck.

My APU burns more than twice the fuel of the main engine.

Really? My engine burns about 9/10 a gallon per hour when I idle up, .7 when normal idle, but I though APU’s used a lot less. I always heard about a cup per hour. Maybe I heard wrong. My main concern is hurting my engine from idling cause I’m OTR over s month at at time and I can’t stand heat and I have a dog so I idle a lot in the summer. I just don’t want to shorten the life of my engine. Otherwise I would just idle in the summer and not worry about it. Because the rest of the year I basically you don’t have to Idle much at all. I love cold so I don’t really vital in the winter much really cold
replyreply
Jorg, engines can be tuned to drastically reduce idle fuel burn (and emissions). An apu should burn ,25-.5g an hr. Main engine should burnbetween .5-.75 an hr. Unless its a kitty cat. Then u just burn so much fuel u start living off loves points.
replyreply
I'm in the middle of installing a mini-split. I only have to get some company to charge it with R410A now. I'm second guessing if I should have gone this route. The outside unit seems really heavy and I'm not sure the metal on the back of my ProStar can handle it. And the costs are adding up far far more than a window unit.

I can update later, but there is another thread that other guys have done this already:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1569
replyreply
Yep. Filled it up once, shut down for a 34 in RI, topped off again before leaving. I use half a gallon with the A/C off (I was using in transit heat in january), and .7 with the A/C on.

Last time I checked, my APU uses 1.3 with the A/C on. She's old, but she runs.

Before @m*m^2, I was using at 1.2 A/C off, 1.5 with it on. Yikes!

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.