Massive oil leak...
07-21-2018, (Subject: Massive oil leak... ) 
RE: Massive oil leak...
(07-21-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  Do you happen to have a misfire? Reason i ask i just rebuilt a 2350 couple weeks ago and it did exactly the same thing. Oil was heavily blowing out the breather pipe and the valve cover gasket and made a huge mess. Ran perfect before it blew. Ended up being a hole in the piston.

Sorry, no intention to freak you out, its just eerily similar to what i recently saw.

Not to hijack the thread but that is an odd place for a piston to crack. They usually only do so on the exhaust side instead of the front like that one is. Piston does not look severely overheated but still, just make sure the injection timing in the program is not set a bit too high if it is de-mandated.

Also could be a bad injector spray pattern hitting to one side of the cylinder. I would recommend not re-using that injector just as a safety measure + inspecting the spray pattern shadow(s) on all the other pistons .

Also could be poor oil flow from the cooling nozzle into the bottom of the piston or carbon packing/buildup on the under side of the piston in the area that the cooling nozzle feeds.

I have also seen after-market EGR coolers cause that, but it is usually accompanied with EGR high temp alarms in the ECM to go with it.

Just some thoughts on it while enjoying my beer.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Starlight
Monday ill head over to this Shop and get a better look. Tried on on the side of the road was worried about the traffic passing at 70MPH lol. The truck ran PERFECT i didnt lose any oil PSI no alarms even came on about this leak i just saw smoke from it hitting my exhaust. If those covers are like that on my 870 at the top im hoping one of them just failed.
replyreply
(07-21-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-21-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  Do you happen to have a misfire? Reason i ask i just rebuilt a 2350 couple weeks ago and it did exactly the same thing. Oil was heavily blowing out the breather pipe and the valve cover gasket and made a huge mess. Ran perfect before it blew. Ended up being a hole in the piston.

Sorry, no intention to freak you out, its just eerily similar to what i recently saw.

Not to hijack the thread but that is an odd place for a piston to crack. They usually only do so on the exhaust side instead of the front like that one is. Piston does not look severely overheated but still, just make sure the injection timing in the program is not set a bit too high if it is de-mandated.

Also could be a bad injector spray pattern hitting to one side of the cylinder. I would recommend not re-using that injector just as a safety measure + inspecting the spray pattern shadow(s) on all the other pistons .

Also could be poor oil flow from the cooling nozzle into the bottom of the piston or carbon packing/buildup on the under side of the piston in the area that the cooling nozzle feeds.

I have also seen after-market EGR coolers cause that, but it is usually accompanied with EGR high temp alarms in the ECM to go with it.

I've seen 4 engines so far with holes in pistons and all 4 were in the same location and the cause on all was bad programming. But Uni got that part sorted out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
07-22-2018, (Subject: Massive oil leak... ) 
(07-21-2018 )Pete1990 Wrote:  Monday ill head over to this Shop and get a better look. Tried on on the side of the road was worried about the traffic passing at 70MPH lol. The truck ran PERFECT i didnt lose any oil PSI no alarms even came on about this leak i just saw smoke from it hitting my exhaust. If those covers are like that on my 870 at the top im hoping one of them just failed.
White smoke from exhaust and oil pushing out is 100% sign of piston cracked or rings. Yeah it starts suddenly with no any alarms.

replyreply
(07-21-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  
(07-21-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

I've seen 4 engines so far with holes in pistons and all 4 were in the same location and the cause on all was bad programming. But Uni got that part sorted out.

Thats interesting. Being at the top possibly may have something to do with 2350 and its higher compression?. Most of the ones I have seen were on 870/871's but I would suspect that type of failure would be caused by the same things.

Thanks for sharing.

=====

As far as Pete1990's problem(s), hopefully it is simply a bad valve cover gasket or something. Also might want to make sure the crank case breather tube is not clogged.

Does it have a lot of blow-by when the oil fill tube cap is removed?. Any large amount of excessive smoke while idling? -- A cracked piston or ring will typically have those symptoms as well.

engine age? and some history?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-22-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  ...
As far as Pete1990's problem(s), hopefully it is simply a bad valve cover gasket or something. Also might want to make sure the crank case breather tube is not clogged.

Does it have a lot of blow-by when the oil fill tube cap is removed?. Any large amount of excessive smoke while idling? -- A cracked piston or ring will typically have those symptoms as well.

engine age? and some history?

No not really a lot of By blow out the oil fill tube. I mean i see a little but too much. Engine is 07 with just shy of 900k miles I Haven't really had it opened past the valve cover. 6 new injectors couple years ago rods mains oil pump. Cam was looking great a year ago. No smoke from exhaust at idle i get black smoke when boosting but thats only if i boost it hard. I Did noticed on the back of the valve cover there is oil on the very back part. I Was gonna go get oil and try to start the truck again but the drive shaft is out and don't wanna take that chance of it falling and taking my engine harness with it lol
replyreply
Now im wondering when they washed the engine if they didn't get too CLOSE to the oil filter and broke the seal on it? The spray of the oil is weird its only in the Front and back.
replyreply
Clean the engine thoroughly. Top it off with oil. Pull the drive shaft the rest of the way out. Start the engine and start looking where its running down at. If you can't pin point it then, then take some more pics of where its coming from. There is just too much going on with oil everywhere for us to help.

The fan can blow oil everywhere. Road wind will do the same. Clean it an run it.
replyreply
I agree with the degrease or steam cleaning. top off fluids and add some fluorescent oil dye. As hot as it's been at a high idle it should be evident pretty quick.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.