Cummins X15, what's the word?
07-24-2018, (Subject: Cummins X15, what's the word? ) 
Cummins X15, what's the word?
Been looking for a new truck, and because of the popularity of the Volvo and Freightliner products with their corporate engines ( sold out ), there are some units out there with X15 still available. Ive had bad experiences with anything ISX powered and knowing that the only way this engine lives is because of this site, would the X15 be a good alternative?
What are the weaknesses?

Thanks for any and all input in advance.
replyreply
RE: Cummins X15, what's the word?
Best version of the ISX is the CM871. The X15 has no gains on it and costs more to operate long term. They did however somewhat fix the problem with the fuel pump destroying the entire engine when it fails, that is its only advantage over the previous models CM2250 and CM2350-X101.

It is still up in the air about longevity vs the ridiculously high compression ratio to meet the new emissions though. Only time will tell that one.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: zyNoT
(07-24-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Best version of the ISX is the CM871. The X15 has no gains on it and costs more to operate long term. They did however somewhat fix the problem with the fuel pump destroying the entire engine when it fails, that is its only advantage over the previous models CM2250 and CM2350-X101.

It is still up in the air about longevity vs the ridiculously high compression ratio to meet the new emissions though. Only time will tell that one.

Rawze has anyone tried lowering this compression yet? I only ask because cat guys do that to convert back from the acert engine ?
replyreply
(07-24-2018 )Hetdiesel Wrote:  [quote='Rawze' pid='28855' dateline='1532484775']

Rawze has anyone tried lowering this compression yet? I only ask because cat guys do that to convert back from the acert engine ?

- Might be able to but it is going to likely cost $20,000+. Then there is still the second problem of the injectors spraying at the wrong angle (The new injectors spray almost completely horizontally). Add in costs for lower angle injectors without cores, etc. and you would be better off just getting an 871 to drop in it. There certainly would be no cost benefit vs increased longevity to doing such a thing any ways.

Just some thoughts, nothing more.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hetdiesel , zyNoT
07-25-2018, (Subject: Cummins X15, what's the word? ) 
Are they even demandatable with such high compression?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hetdiesel
I'll be finding out shortly, ordering a new tri drive with a x15 600 in it.

Talking to the oilfield guys out here, they seem to love them so far...... But they are very new yet. I do know they pull like a raped ape.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(07-25-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Are they even demandatable with such high compression?

Yes, very doable. The higher the compression ratio, simply less boost is required combined with a longer burn length in the cylinders. Unilevers has done a few I think already.

I know I could compensate for such things fairly easily, but just have not been interested yet.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hetdiesel , smorgan87 , iceman , zyNoT , PuroCumminsPower , Toolguy
08-15-2018, (Subject: Cummins X15, what's the word? ) 
{**Content removed by protection bot**- content.}
replyreply
08-15-2018, (Subject: Cummins X15, what's the word? ) 
I would be more interested in them if I could scan it myself with insite. Last time I checked, 7.6.2 was too old to do it, and I don't want to pay a subscription every year for a newer copy of insite to scan an engine.

What would be great is if you could upload a program to run an x15 into an older ecm and run it from that...but something tells me it's not that easy, or it would have been done already!

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.