Cummins X15, what's the word?
08-15-2019, (Subject: Cummins X15, what's the word? ) 
RE: Cummins X15, what's the word?
that would be the Naturally Aspirated air compressor suction line going over to the suction side of the turbo.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Sweet. No more soot snorkel bs in the intake then maybe.
replyreply
correct and if you have a exterior filter mount 379/lonestar/western star/freightliner with it you get to listen to it smash air all day ;p

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
01-11-2021, (Subject: Cummins X15, what's the word? ) 
Hi everyone, I am thinking about buying an emissions truck. A T680 or 579 with a X15. About 2 years of factory warranty left. Are they working out or are they as bad as the rest of the EPA motors?
replyreply
01-11-2021, (Subject: Cummins X15, what's the word? ) 
(01-11-2021 )Mav Wrote:  Hi everyone, I am thinking about buying an emissions truck. A T680 or 579 with a X15. About 2 years of factory warranty left. Are they working out or are they as bad as the rest of the EPA motors?

EPA motors are not bad if you look after them, do proper maintenance and run them right. - It is the mass of ignorance in our industry, O/O's who have the=is sort of 'lazy-car-driver' mindset - only holding the damnned steering wheel, neglect everything on their truck until it breaks, then cry when the check engine lights start showing up, all problems set in that shuts them down, then run off to the most expensive places (the oem network of clueless stealers$its) to get ripped off and have their wallets drained, that are the complainers. This is simply bad business practice all around but most O/O these days, you can't tell them that because they are too damnned dumb, lazy, or stubborn (take you pick of many excuses) to listen to logic and reason any more. . - I'll take my emissions red top cry-baby any day of the week over anything older ... it is vastly more profitable and leaps and bounds more fuel efficient and fuel is the number one expense in a trucking operation plain and simple. Then when they get all frustrate4d and it breaks the bank for them due to all the nonstop problems they created by not servicing anything properly or keeping after stuffs... they go off and get a bad delete that destroys their engine repeatedly and blame the equipment over and over instead of looking in the mirror.

as far as the truck goes...

If you don't consider the rest of the truck specs vs. what you intend to do with it then your shooting yourself in the foot. The whole damned truck, its rear axle ratio, equipment options, etc.etcv.etc. all need to be considered to make a decent profit and not to wear out the engine prematurely. You did not mention anything towards this. What type of freight, What type of operations, What the truck specs are... and by the way.. That damnned warranty... throw it in the garbage can. I would not trust a dammnned stealers$it shop to do anything under warranty. it is useless.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mav , PuroCumminsPower , Toolguy
01-12-2021, (Subject: Cummins X15, what's the word? ) 
The trucks available all have high gears, 2.79 to 2.47. I am used to mid 3's. I am looking at spending about $70,000. My bank is requiring a factory warranty. I have owned a 14L detroit with egr. 1 isx with deleted egr. 2 N14's. I have driven for 2 companies that had dd13s they were junk. Wiring problems and epa problems. I was hoping that kind of stuff had been corrected. The X15 is new and I was just hoping cummins had corrected the catastrophic failures and untrained technicians. The truck I buy will be slip seated between myself and a hired driver so if it has problems on the road it will be taken to the dealership. Thank you this site and your time.
replyreply
Doesn't matter what engine you buy if your gonna take it to the dealer for everything. The end result will be the same, a lot of money spent and recurring problems.
One of the biggest reasons we all own cummins here is so we can work on them ourselves. They aren't really superior in any other way except maybe better fuel efficiency but that's debatable.

Not sure what you mean by "catastrophic failures" but if your referring to the fuel pumps, that can be easily avoided by replacing the guts every 400K miles.
If your referring to chewed up cams, that can be easily avoided by changing your oil based on your fuel mileage, installing a bypass filter(if truck is not demandated) and setting the overhead about every 200K.
If your referring to dropped liners that can be easily avoided by not lugging the piss out of the engine running it below 1500 rpm all the time and DEFINITELY NOT LETTING SOME IDIOT PUT A BAD PROGRAM IN YOUR ECM.
although if your gonna use the stealershit network out there you'll have to keep stock programming anyway.
All the new engines need constant maintenance and that isn't going to change.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Mav , Waterloo , PuroCumminsPower , Toolguy
(01-12-2021 )Mav Wrote:  The trucks available all have high gears, 2.79 to 2.47.
have driven for 2 companies that had dd13s they were junk. Wiring problems and epa problems.

I was hoping that kind of stuff had been corrected. The X15 is new and I was just hoping cummins had corrected the catastrophic failures and untrained technicians. The truck I buy will be slip seated between myself and a hired driver so if it has problems on the road it will be taken to the dealership. Thank you this site and your time.

Sounds to me like your business plan so far kinda sucks.

If you don't start taking your issues into your won hands and lowering those costs ... and stop listening to the droves of cool-aide drinking fools that blame the equipment for all the failures they encounter at mostly their own faults due to lack of understanding that trucking any more requires a person to regularly turn a wrench and get dirty to keep after the emissions and other systems on their equipment ... then your destined to keep sending half your hard-earned profits down the drain like a lot of other folks. Last i checked, trucking rates does not pay very well for this kind of slack style of management... especially if a person is running used equipment that has more than about 250-300k miles on it. Why you think that those trucks are on the market at that mileage range? -- It is due to exactly this fact.

Having tall rears like you mentioned is the death of an isx's longevity... especially if you have hired drivers who only know how to push the accelerator hard on the bottom end of the torque range. instead of $25,000 in lost revenue and expenses every 800K - 1mil miles, you will be seeing them every 500k or less miles when the truck is geared tall like that, as the engine has to produce a whole lot more torque to push the truck around and torque is the enemy of longevity in any diesel engine.

You seem quick to blame emissions problems on those DD13's ...however I guarantee you the reason they have those issues is because of ignorance and running the equipment off to the OEM network of morons every time the CEL light plagued them... and I can likely safely bet that the company who owned them also did little to no maintenance on the emissions and egr system to go right along with it because they "had a warranty" and this is the creation of such problems for any emissions engine out there, no matter what make or brand.

If you want to own a truck, not work on it regularly and run it off to the stealers%its and have other drivers who treat it like that along side you then you should only lease your equipment,... never own it ... lease only new equipment just like the mega-fleets do, never buy used, and turn them in when they get about 300k miles on them .. the point where the emissions system will start to plague them because of all the neglect and lack of proper maintenance and no one keeping after it. .. because your business model is in for a rude awakening otherwise.

- Nothing wrong with that business model, it pays well .. but not to you unless you want to manage a bunch of trucks, along with all the headaches associated to go with it to make up for the minuscule long term profit that each truck would actually produce in that scenario. Most of the moneys made will go to losses in fuel efficiency by no-give-a s$it-drivers, the OEM networks of shops and idiots from all the CEL lights being on in half the fleet half the time, to the leasing companies your equipment is leased thru and their high interest rates, and to everyone but your own wallet at the end of the day. Get enough trucks together and drivers and maybe you start to make a profit... all while guys like me take your customers out from under you because we can take the same load for far less and keep far higher profit margin out of it because we do everything for ourselves and lower our operating expenses far below those ppl and companies who use the normal channels of thinking strategies seen in trucking.

just my thoughts on it any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
Thank you for the response. Yes I meant all that stuff. I am 63 now and I am only driving part time. The less I have to work on it the better. If I buy a epa truck I will leave it that way. I have always liked cummins but if all things are equal I will consider a DD15. I have been with landstar on an off since 1/2002 and this will be the first time I am hiring a driver. I guess I am just apprehensive.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.