Excessive tire wear
07-26-2018, (Subject: Excessive tire wear ) 
RE: Excessive tire wear
(07-25-2018 )wilsont Wrote:  I purchased 8 new drive tires and have only driven 860 miles on the tires. All of the outside sidewalls of the tires both inside and outside are worn. All of the miles driven have been bobtailed.

Without looking at pictures, my guess is that they are fine. They only look like the edges are wearing because you have yet to put a load on the tires. Being all bobtail miles, the centers are bulged (because theyre inflated to have a heavy load on them) which is dark black from touching the ground and the edges are lighter and dusty giving the appearance that they are wearing on the edges. Once you put a load on the tires they'll probably look just fine.
But thats just a guess from the info you stated.

***EDIT ***
Pictures just showed up. Now I know I'm right. You just need to put a load on them. You drove thru a dusty lot and the edges arent touching the ground. They will once you put a trailer and load on.
Oh and I don't agee with 85 psi inflation if you hauling 80k lbs. Thats low to me. I go by what it says on the side wall max tire pressure rating. Others go higher. I get 300-400k miles out of my drives by keeping pressure there and rotating regularly. I'd run 85 if I was light all the time. Maybe if I was hauling 20k lbs or less.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: wilsont
Those tires are Chinese
Thwy will only last 100k miles

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
I dont mean to be a stick in the mud nor anal about this but that tire pressure is not the max. It's the MIN pressure that you can carry the weight rating at. The rim is the only item on the wheel end with a max inflation pressure on it and that's 135psi for aluminum Alcoa rims.
replyreply
(07-26-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  I dont mean to be a stick in the mud nor anal about this but that tire pressure is not the max. It's the MIN pressure that you can carry the weight rating at. The rim is the only item on the wheel end with a max inflation pressure on it and that's 135psi for aluminum Alcoa rims.

What is the max cold psi rating that is stamped on the side wall of every tire then? I always assumed it was the max cold air psi you could add. Obviously the tire pressure goes up well beyond that as it heats up.
replyreply
That is normal for an unloaded tire. They are just riding on the middle. Put a load on them, check pressures again and they'll be fine.
replyreply
They aint worn, they dirty.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Moose , wilsont
Normal for bobtail.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: wilsont , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.