If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for?
07-31-2018, (Subject: If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for? ) 
RE: If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for?
(07-31-2018 )Explosia Wrote:  ...
Lone mountain

cleans both filters (dpf and doc) and cleans or replaces the doser. Changed all the engine and cab filters, 6 new Goodyear virgins and a 6 mo engine warranty.

This truck has a 2.64 rear with a 10 speed auto.

I’m going to visit Mr. Hagg in couple months to complete the finishing touches.

Don't be so quick to toot their horn. you got (maybe) lucky is all... (except for that horrible gear ratio and failure prone auto-shitter).

I have seen plenty of guys buy form there here in the area I live. They are no better than anyone else, and every one of the larger franchise truck stealershits "claims to replace DPF etc." bnut all they do is send them off to be baked and slap them back on. In fact, most of the time, the one they slap back on is not even the one they took off. The only reason for this is because they want it to run about 300 miles or so before the warning lights come back on. They could give a a sh$it about it otherwise. The Warranty they offer 90% of all cases I have ever seen refuses to pay for anything and is not worth the paper it is written on. More than half the trucks I see people got taken on and ended up with a lemon that needed much work has come form them just like any other bad, no give-a-damn used truck dealer. - Might have well have just purchased it form auction, same exact risk, because that is exactly what they did, then doubled the price on it. -- I have no faith in that place after seeing how many used trucks sold by them (and most of the other bigger used truck outfits like em) that weren't worth a damn.

Seen trucks come from them with bad turbo's, failed EGR systems, destroyed cams, blown head gaskets, and a whole lot more problems. -- THEY DO NOTHING to the engine/tyruck to ensure it is even slightly ok outside of making sure it looks nice enough to sell and does not throw engine alarms for the first few hundred miles.
(one example: reference: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid28987 )

They are no different than any other slimy used truck stealershit. It is up to the person purchasing 110% to see if there is anything wrong with the equipment they have chosen and it is like pulling teeth out of a lion to try to get them to stand behind anything once you sign that paperwork. i have seen so many guys left out in the cold on that it is not even funny.

- Chanege those rears out with 3:55's or 3:79's and learn to drive it 60~ish and you will make a decent profit with it without lugging the liners out of the engine block. Your going to need it to keep up with the extra expenses of that auto trans and the 0.6 mpg less fuel economy it sucks out of the tanks vs a decent driver with a manual.

just my own thoughts on it, no one has to agree.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RoadRacer
07-31-2018, (Subject: If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for? ) 
(07-31-2018 )DDB Wrote:  Thanks for responding. A couple of questions though:

1) Are the fuel pump issues confined to the 2250/2350, or do they include the 871?

2) 871 engine is found on 2007-2010 model trucks, and 1/2 of the 2011's -- I think. The key is the 871 has DPF but no DEF tank whereas the 2250/2350 has DEF. Is this correct?

edit - looks like some of the 2007's are gonna have 870's (no DPF)

Looking on truckpaper it seems you can find one of these for $15-25k w/650-850k+ miles that are still making money. So I could put it on the road for awhile before the inevitable rebuild. This is definitely an idea to consider.

Even with the cost of rebuilding I'm well below what I currently have budgeted for a truck.

Downside I guess is that everything else on the truck would have more wear and tear, also. So I'll be replacing a lot of other things sooner than I would on a 2014-2015 with 400k miles.

Still, long term I believe this approach would be more economical, all things considered. Especially if it maximizes fuel mileage.
replyreply
Plan in somewhere around $30k for a good rebuild/inframe. Its 1 of those deals where while you have it apart you might as well replace such and such and this and that. That is where the price goes up and up. But usually money well spent if done correctly. Because the cost of being down and re removing everything later begins to add up in the thousands quickly.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , Waterloo , RoadRacer
(07-31-2018 )DDB Wrote:  
(07-31-2018 )DDB Wrote:  Thanks for responding. A couple of questions though:

1) Are the fuel pump issues confined to the 2250/2350, or do they include the 871?

2) 871 engine is found on 2007-2010 model trucks, and 1/2 of the 2011's -- I think. The key is the 871 has DPF but no DEF tank whereas the 2250/2350 has DEF. Is this correct?

edit - looks like some of the 2007's are gonna have 870's (no DPF)

Looking on truckpaper it seems you can find one of these for $15-25k w/650-850k+ miles that are still making money. So I could put it on the road for awhile before the inevitable rebuild. This is definitely an idea to consider.

Even with the cost of rebuilding I'm well below what I currently have budgeted for a truck.

Downside I guess is that everything else on the truck would have more wear and tear, also. So I'll be replacing a lot of other things sooner than I would on a 2014-2015 with 400k miles.

Still, long term I believe this approach would be more economical, all things considered. Especially if it maximizes fuel mileage.

1) -- No fuel pump issues like the 2250/2350's on the CM871's. - On my own truck, although it is likely overdue for some parts replacements, my entire fuel system (IFSM- Integrated fuel system module) is bone stock original with 1.3 million miles on it. This includes the electric fuel pump, solenoids, valves, gear pump,.. every bit of it. Only thing preventative I do on mine is that I use a DAVCO with a 10-mocron filter and big bottle of diesel-kleen about once a month in the tanks religiously (as per this reference: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...622#pid622 ).

2)- you are correct. DPF only engines. They were the worst for DPF problems/ soot buildup in oil leading to chewed cams, but a very well done de-mandate later (if you live in a foreign country that allows it), and they just run without any issues when well cared for.

==

As far as reman goes ...

Look at blo-by and also run the overhead adjustment, checking for good detent clearance ( second half of this post: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...66#pid9466 ) while your at it. It is the heads that wear the most.

Also look for oil leaks around behind the front gear cover where it meets the head on the intake side. Any oil leak there and it is a sign of the cam bearings in the head worn to the bone.

An oil leak in the back just below the head is usually a sign of someone driving the snot piss out of the engine in its past, causing the flywheel housing to get warped, leading to the oil leak.

As far as the reman itself, look for signs that the head is worn out., excess blo-by, etc. Look for coolant pressure buildup under full operating torque and when engine brake is on high. Those are signs that a reman is needed ASAP. If all is good, it is like a worn down tire. You don't change it just because it is showing its age. You get a bit more life out of it and look for the signs of it being ready. - Throw a gallon of 85-140 gear lube in it at every oil change and don't drive it hard. Get that last 100+k miles out of it before in-framing it if you can and replace all the other junk like shocks, u-joints, etc.etc.etc. making it into something glorious again.

My own truck has more than a million miles on it and everyone who looks at it and even drives it will swear it has less than 200k. Even the tranny and shifter is tight like a new one after that many miles. I keep after it very very well and it has always been good to me in return.

I would however at a minimum, replace the rod/main bearings as a safety on an older ISX for prevention of a wrist pin failure (recommended at 800k miles). That is what gets many of them when they are neglected, and when it happens the block is trashed.

just my own random thoughts on it at the moment anyways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDB , in2trux , dhirocz , RoadRacer
Rawze did you really mean 5:55, or 3:55 to 79. Looked at a truck this morning like I am interested in but has 3:36, and a Pac. Moved on to other pages.

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
(07-31-2018 )Ragindirt Wrote:  Rawze did you really mean 5:55, or 3:55 to 79. Looked at a truck this morning like I am interested in but has 3:36, and a Pac. Moved on to other pages.

3.55 is better on flats. 70 mph @1500 rpm (13 spd.)
3.73 is better if you're running in the hills allot.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDB
(07-30-2018 )DDB Wrote:  First post here but I’ve been lurking for about a month, trying to get up to speed. I’d like to get some feedback from current owner operators and/or mechanics.

I’ve been out of trucking since late 2009 when I was offered a job in another industry, one that runs counter to the economy. I was very fortunate to make a good living during the recession and the so called jobless recovery. However, now that the economy is booming this particular industry sucks, and I’ve got to find something else (my income this year will be less than half what it was from its peak in 2012).

I flatbedded before under my own authority and loved it, and am looking to do the same now. My budget is around $65k for the truck, and I’d like one with a max of about 400k miles. But I’m flexible on both of these. I’d like a condo and I’d love to find a truck with an APU already installed – not so much for idling comfort, though that’d be nice, but because it would mean that the truck hasn’t been idled much. My understanding is that idling is hard on these emissions trucks.

My #1 goal is to find the truck that will make the most money. My #2 and #3 goals are the same as #1. I’ve downloaded and read Rawze’ pdf book – btw thanks, Rawze, it is excellent information and I salute you for putting this out for free to help others. I have printed out parts of it to take with me when I look at trucks. But before I start that process I need to get things narrowed down a bit. If a salesman senses that you don’t know exactly what you want then he will try to sell you what he wants to get rid of.

Before I found this website I had basically written off anything with a Cummins in it due to the fuel pump and after treatment issues. But Rawze (and others here) have definitely opened my eyes to the benefits of the red engine. I like its open source nature and the ability to do your own maintenance on the emissions stuff (not to mention the demandate option and custom tuning). And, I discovered that one of the best Cummins shops in America is less than an hour from my house (Mr. Haggai). Plus, parts seems to be plentiful and relatively reasonable (probably due in part to the open source specs?). An International with a Cummins seems like the best value. Here’s links to a couple I’m considering (good prices but I think the dealer is kinda sketchy):

http://www.arrowtruck.com/Docs/search.de...kno=227352
http://www.arrowtruck.com/Docs/search.de...kno=226908

Freightliner/Detroit also seems like a solid choice but I’m a skittish about these $10,000 ‘one-box’ emissions systems. I previously drove a 2001 FL Century with a 12.7 Detroit (430 hp, 370 rears, 10 speed) and had no complaints but the fuel mileage was middling, about 6.0 and that was driving at 62. So I’m lukewarm on gliders, even if you could get one. There are some 2014 Columbia gliders not far from here with about 550k miles for $65k. That’s a lot of money for that many miles and my current understanding is that newer emission trucks, even without a demandate, get better mileage than a glider.

Paccar seems to get high marks for fuel mileage and durability, but low marks for parts, software and support. Volvo/Mack are the same, I think. Good products but dealers few and far between and parts proprietary and expensive.

The only thing I’m sure about is to not get a Maxx Force motor. Although, I’ve heard that some of these are going for less than $10k at auction. Seems like a hell of a deal, theoretically, for a donor truck that you could drop a rebuilt 871 into but there must be reasons why no one is doing this.

If I've gotten any of the above wrong, please let me know. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks

That's a loaded question!
You're in the right place to get straight,honest advice.

1. Get your finances in order, you're going to need it!

The FASTEST way to ruin your credit is to buy a truck. It will ALWAYS cost more than you planned! Want to find out how fast you can go through $25k in cash? Buy a truck.
That's AFTER the down payment, financing, taxes, IFTA registration, insurance premium.
Been there, done that.

Assume EVERY truck needs a complete overhaul, has been abused, needs a new clutch or transmisson UNLESS you get a FULL service and repair history. (Chicken teeth)

Every truck has warts, you just have to find them! Unfortunately the trade has shifted to throwaway or recyclable trucks that are shot by the time they reach the OEM warranty.

2. Have a Business plan.

This is a business! Know what lanes and commodity you're going to run pay. What the average revenue/mile is, be very sceptical! Seasonal demands can swing rates wildly, plus or minus $2-3k/ month in gross revenue. Supply and demand.

You can be the best driver and mechanic in the world but if you suck at business, FAIL.
You can be the best businessman in the world and suck at driving and mechanics, FAIL
Good at both = Success.

https://www.dat.com/freight-rates
Know your cost and profit/mile!
Learn to create Excel speadsheets

3. Buy what you want to own!

Are you going to be comfortable in it, working on it?
What is the parts availability?

The devil you know is better than the one you don't know!

If you want a truck that will run and give you a good ROI and time, think long and hard.

My best advice is to start with a platform that is tired but not broken, reman or overhaul engine, transmission and build it up. Reliability comes from constant attention.

The CM 871 is a great engine when done right.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDB , Rawze , Waterloo , zero4
GREAT advice in this thread.

I just paid mine off, and I'm doing exactly what rawze had suggested for those exact reasons. Mine is showing it's age, but I'm running something highly profitable and local for awhile while I catch up on a number of things, ending with a inframe and trans job.

Mine was apart at 685k, and part of what it got was a new set of bearings, for just that reason. I was trying to buy time after the cam went flat. I noticed it is alot less temperamental by not driving it on the edge and cutting back on the boost, and trying to stay off of loads that go through mountains. It no longer uses coolant and oil either. She's noisy, but she still runs fine so I'm running it for now and taking it easy on it while I get a better grip on things.

What I learned is it really comes down to being smart and relying less on those who prey on you and more on yourself. I got no help after all the 'promises' that were made to me...company couldn't care less. I ended up diving in and straightening it out myself. Don't rely on company promises or warranties, rely on your own business sense and your own two hands before anything else! That's the only warranty I want or need.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDB , Rawze , Chamberpains , in2trux , zero4
(07-31-2018 )dhirocz Wrote:  GREAT advice in this thread.

I just paid mine off, and I'm doing exactly what rawze had suggested for those exact reasons. Mine is showing it's age, but I'm running something highly profitable and local for awhile while I catch up on a number of things, ending with a inframe and trans job.

Mine was apart at 685k, and part of what it got was a new set of bearings, for just that reason. I was trying to buy time after the cam went flat. I noticed it is alot less temperamental by not driving it on the edge and cutting back on the boost, and trying to stay off of loads that go through mountains. It no longer uses coolant and oil either. She's noisy, but she still runs fine so I'm running it for now and taking it easy on it while I get a better grip on things.

What I learned is it really comes down to being smart and relying less on those who prey on you and more on yourself. I got no help after all the 'promises' that were made to me...company couldn't care less. I ended up diving in and straightening it out myself. Don't rely on company promises or warranties, rely on your own business sense and your own two hands before anything else! That's the only warranty I want or need.

Congratulations on paying off your tractor!
You get it!

We wound up overhauling the engine @635k. One year after purchase
Tried doing it to the letter but saw the writing on the wall.
If it wasn't for this site, we would have been brake dust.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDB , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.