If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for?
07-30-2018, (Subject: If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for? ) 
If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for?
First post here but I’ve been lurking for about a month, trying to get up to speed. I’d like to get some feedback from current owner operators and/or mechanics.

I’ve been out of trucking since late 2009 when I was offered a job in another industry, one that runs counter to the economy. I was very fortunate to make a good living during the recession and the so called jobless recovery. However, now that the economy is booming this particular industry sucks, and I’ve got to find something else (my income this year will be less than half what it was from its peak in 2012).

I flatbedded before under my own authority and loved it, and am looking to do the same now. My budget is around $65k for the truck, and I’d like one with a max of about 400k miles. But I’m flexible on both of these. I’d like a condo and I’d love to find a truck with an APU already installed – not so much for idling comfort, though that’d be nice, but because it would mean that the truck hasn’t been idled much. My understanding is that idling is hard on these emissions trucks.

My #1 goal is to find the truck that will make the most money. My #2 and #3 goals are the same as #1. I’ve downloaded and read Rawze’ pdf book – btw thanks, Rawze, it is excellent information and I salute you for putting this out for free to help others. I have printed out parts of it to take with me when I look at trucks. But before I start that process I need to get things narrowed down a bit. If a salesman senses that you don’t know exactly what you want then he will try to sell you what he wants to get rid of.

Before I found this website I had basically written off anything with a Cummins in it due to the fuel pump and after treatment issues. But Rawze (and others here) have definitely opened my eyes to the benefits of the red engine. I like its open source nature and the ability to do your own maintenance on the emissions stuff (not to mention the demandate option and custom tuning). And, I discovered that one of the best Cummins shops in America is less than an hour from my house (Mr. Haggai). Plus, parts seems to be plentiful and relatively reasonable (probably due in part to the open source specs?). An International with a Cummins seems like the best value. Here’s links to a couple I’m considering (good prices but I think the dealer is kinda sketchy):

http://www.arrowtruck.com/Docs/search.de...kno=227352
http://www.arrowtruck.com/Docs/search.de...kno=226908

Freightliner/Detroit also seems like a solid choice but I’m a skittish about these $10,000 ‘one-box’ emissions systems. I previously drove a 2001 FL Century with a 12.7 Detroit (430 hp, 370 rears, 10 speed) and had no complaints but the fuel mileage was middling, about 6.0 and that was driving at 62. So I’m lukewarm on gliders, even if you could get one. There are some 2014 Columbia gliders not far from here with about 550k miles for $65k. That’s a lot of money for that many miles and my current understanding is that newer emission trucks, even without a demandate, get better mileage than a glider.

Paccar seems to get high marks for fuel mileage and durability, but low marks for parts, software and support. Volvo/Mack are the same, I think. Good products but dealers few and far between and parts proprietary and expensive.

The only thing I’m sure about is to not get a Maxx Force motor. Although, I’ve heard that some of these are going for less than $10k at auction. Seems like a hell of a deal, theoretically, for a donor truck that you could drop a rebuilt 871 into but there must be reasons why no one is doing this.

If I've gotten any of the above wrong, please let me know. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for? - DDB - 07-30-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.