If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for?
07-31-2018, (Subject: If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for? ) 
RE: If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for?
I can chime in here as I have recently bought my first truck. I was in your shoes for the last 6 months looking for the right truck. I joined in January and read everything on this site. I knew I wanted an apu for comfort, and low idle time. It is a sellers market and apu trucks are hard to work deals on.

I can tell you this, I will NEVER buy from MHC. I have been in the used car business and know how to recondition cars the right way and the cheap way. And let me tell you I have looked at thier inventory and ran outta there as fast as my feet could go. These dealers are reminiscent of the 70’s sleezy used cars dealers. Lie straight to my face. I found my truck at a place where I never thought I would buy. Lone mountain. I have driven almost 25 years and never been in a corn binder. I really wanted a KW, love the aerodyne.

Most of the trucks from the fleet mine was from were kinda rusty. I went and looked at them, found the truck I wanted. I seen there were deposits on trucks that guys haven’t even looked at. I know because they were rust buckets, with rough interiors. I can’t imagine buying a truck I haven’t even looked at.

I wasn’t allowed to check it out until delivery, which made me walk away. I was hesitant anyways because it was an automatic. I have never driven an auto and said I would never own one. But it was perfect, CLEAN 2015 midroof Prostar, 2350 Cummins 450 with a tri pac and 406k, with 8700 hours and a 5 min idle shutdown 8.1 lifetime mpg. So I kept looking, but in this sellers market trucks were flying out the door. A week or so went by, and that Prostar at lone mountain was still available and I put the down payment on it.

Lone mountain cleans both filters (dpf and doc) and cleans or replaces the doser. Changed all the engine and cab filters, 6 new Goodyear virgins and a 6 mo engine warranty. I called Eaton and the trans has a 750k mile warranty, excluding the clutches. This truck has a 2.64 rear with a 10 speed auto. I asked the Eaton guy to figure my speed at 1500 rpms. He said I would be around 68 mph. Boy he was way off. I don’t want to even elaborate on this because rawze would disapprove lol.

I’m giving you my experience with lone mountain, and by no means am I suggesting that all the trucks they sell are good. I seen plenty of junk on thier lots, I picked out one that worked best for me.

I have to say I am glad I have a Prostar instead of an KW, I love this truck. This is the best designed sleeper I have ever had in all my years trucking. I have driven this automatic for almost two months and I absolutely hate it. I almost taken down a couple of warehouses backing in. If you ever want to make an experienced driver look like a rookie, make him back an auto. If this truck was a 13 it would be perfect. I’m going to visit Mr. Hagg in couple months to complete the finishing touches.

Overall I think I made a good decision, I will have it paid for in 24 months. My only problem so far is I haven’t been able to get insite to install correctly. I’ve been emailing the seller back and forth because it says insite has expired and I need to update when I put the activation key in. If anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDB , in2trux

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you had to buy a truck right now, what would you look for? - Explosia - 07-31-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.