Newly inframed engine with high oil pressure
07-30-2018, (Subject: Newly inframed engine with high oil pressure ) 
Newly inframed engine with high oil pressure
I have a 2011 peterbilt 386 with the cm2250. Saturday I test drove my truck and oil pressure was 42 psi going down the road and coolant was 180. Today the shop went to crank it up and the oil pressure gauge pegged at 100psi. Changed the pressure sensor and it's still pegging at 100 psi. I'm leaning towards bad oil pump.
replyreply
RE: Newly inframed engine with high oil pressure
pull the sensor and put a hydraulic pressure gauge in its place then crank it up. You get high oil pressure then the dog-bone regulator in the oil pump is likely bad. hopefully it is not someone's f%kup during the reman. A clogged cross-channel somewhere can cause that too.

100+ psi can damage the oil cooler and possibly cause oil filter failure, putting debris into your new engine.

My own truck runs 45 PSI and 49 cold but that is because I modified as per this mod...
https://youtu.be/IHaDYh1DQUM

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Techmech , DSTdriver
That's pretty much what I'm thinking myself
replyreply
I made a mistake when shimming my oil pump and a couple dimes went through it. It went to 100 psi and then to zero. The dimes held the dogbone closed which stopped it from doing its job. Then the dime snapped and it was held open, allowing oil to circulate within the pump. I'm with Rawze. The easiest thing to do after you verify pressure manually is to drop the pan, pull the pump, disassemble and inspect it. Sounds like you might have a piece of metal jamming up the works in there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Tamip
Thinking about just putting the old one back on. Nothing was wrong with it. I just replaced it because it had 653k on it and I was already right there so it made sense......at the time lol
replyreply
07-31-2018, (Subject: Newly inframed engine with high oil pressure ) 
Just plugged a mechanical gauge into the port where the oil pressure gauge is and it read normal. Checked gauge on dash it's pegged to 100 psi. Changing gauge on dash.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Rawze , Chamberpains , Signature620
Make sure you don't have a wiring issue 1st. Run the wires out for rubs or pinches or short to ground. Something may have got crushed or pinched during inframe process.
replyreply
(07-31-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Make sure you don't have a wiring issue 1st. Run the wires out for rubs or pinches or short to ground. Something may have got crushed or pinched during inframe process.

I've told them to check the wiring so hopefully they do first
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.