Trailer axle seals short life
08-02-2018, (Subject: Trailer axle seals short life ) 
RE: Trailer axle seals short life
(08-02-2018 )t700 Wrote:  Thanks Hammerhead for your reply.
We have the Stemco Pro-Torq bearing nuts.
The nut we have is the 447-4743 which is the only one with the 1/4 final back off.

On the next seal will try 1/8 final back off, check end play with gauge, and monitor
temperature on the road.

T700

If your trailer uses 447-4743 bearing nut, then I stand corrected on the 1/4 turn back-off.
I wonder what kind of trailer axles you have, I have never known anyone to require the 4743 nut.

DO NOT BLINDLY FOLLOW THE ADVISE OF SOME JACK@$$ on the interwebs! If you have THAT nut, then follow the procedure as described. But make sure you use a dial indicator to verify endplay, this setting is very critical. Wheel bearings and such are NOT parts and procedures to "just wing it", wheel-offs are NOT something anyone should experience.

The amount of "back-off" is determined by the TPI (Threads Per Inch) of the spindle. The finer the threads, the more turn it takes to accomplish the correct amount of relief, so please follow the procedure.

What bearings does this axle use?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: t700

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trailer axle seals short life - Hammerhead - 08-02-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.