Obnoxious whining noise cm 871 front engine
08-02-2018, (Subject: Obnoxious whining noise cm 871 front engine ) 
Obnoxious whining noise cm 871 front engine
Hello I have an 09 isx 525/1850 and the engine had an inframe rebuild at 936000 miles and now has 953000 miles I brought up the noise in front of motor to service writer when rebuilding the motor but I don’t think I was taken seriously It is coming from very front of engine gear train not belts pulleys but in amongst the gearing This has been a very good engine mechanically and even emission wise and was told when engine was tore down that the inside was great condition Anyway the noise from front of motor is fairly quiet on cold start up but after about five minutes it gets louder and stays at same loudness all day I have read some things here as to oil pumps concept gears etc I am looking for some advice as to what this is I have put on 400000 miles on this truck and was no where near this noise Thanks in advance to any knowledge out there thank you
replyreply
08-02-2018, (Subject: Obnoxious whining noise cm 871 front engine ) 
RE: Obnoxious whining noise cm 871 front engine
Did one just like that a month ago. Whine was quiet when cold and with engine temp got really loud. It was a failed bearing in the lower scissor gear. Replaced only that gear and shaft and noise was gone. This was a 2250 engine.
replyreply
08-03-2018, (Subject: Obnoxious whining noise cm 871 front engine ) 
concept gear. all the 525 + isx 871 I've seen have that sound, I always notice it because my 500 - is does not make that sound cause I don't have the spring loaded gear.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
They all whine at operating temp. If it's definately making more noise than other ISXs then it's most likely the oil pump shimming or internal shaft wear. If the pump checks out fine then if could be any of the timing gears.
replyreply
(08-02-2018 )Big red 09 Wrote:  Hello I have an 09 isx 525/1850 and the engine had an inframe rebuild at 936000 miles and now has 953000 miles I brought up the noise in front of motor to service writer when rebuilding the motor but I don’t think I was taken seriously It is coming from very front of engine gear train not belts pulleys but in amongst the gearing This has been a very good engine mechanically and even emission wise and was told when engine was tore down that the inside was great condition Anyway the noise from front of motor is fairly quiet on cold start up but after about five minutes it gets louder and stays at same loudness all day I have read some things here as to oil pumps concept gears etc I am looking for some advice as to what this is I have put on 400000 miles on this truck and was no where near this noise Thanks in advance to any knowledge out there thank you

I have heard a lot of them make gear train noise in the past. If you can stand 25 feet or so away from the truck and hear that medium tone gear train noise above the sound of the engine at idle, then something is wrong!. My own experience with this is that most of the time, it was a worn out gear pump if it is an older truck, or a gear pump that has been shimmed incorrectly...

-- But like others have said, It can also be one of the scissor/concept gears mis-aligned or with a bad bearing in the front.

If it were mine, I would start by replacing the oil gear pump (even if it was replaced during inframe) and ensuring it is shimmed correctly according to quickcerv. This is also the easiest component replace when dealing with this kind of issue. After that, you will have to pull the front gear train apart, and that is not as much fun.

-- Personally, i would have demanded whoever in-framed the engine to fix it properly right off the bat. An extra loud whine in the front of the engine is a sign of a future failure, perhaps a catastrophic one. The shop giving you bulls$it excuses is exactly that!. -- Tell them to make it right and stand behind their work!. -- Did they not even test drive the damn truck?. It makes a person wonder what other shitty things and lazy-man shortcuts might have gone on inside that engine while it was apart. Last I checked, they cost about $36,000 dollars to replace so someone had better get off their arsse and muster up some decent amount of give-a-sh$it!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Chamberpains
08-05-2018, (Subject: Obnoxious whining noise cm 871 front engine ) 
Thanks for all the replies that does help Long story short I have decided to buy this truck from my employer after it was rebuilt and majority of miles were put on by me and this whining noise has gotten way louder and yes it is loud at idle over the engine itself When we dropped it off for inframe he went to talk to service writer and I should have went in with him to make sure this issue was addressed I have not been part of an inframe build before so I’m not sure as to what should be replaced other than pistons rings bearings etc I was an auto mechanic for many years so have good knowledge of engines in general and through searching for the real answers here I could kick myself In my opinion too NO engine should have these kind of gear train noises and the thought of catastrophic failure has crossed my mind also
It looks like I will have to call rebuilder and asap and get the work done the right way and of course down time right now is not good since we are in very busy season
I also struggle to find competent places to get work done these days and although I have done the majority of repairs to this truck I’m still learning these ISX engines and like them but want quiet motor that runs properly
Truck is 2009 KW T660
replyreply
(08-05-2018 )Big red 09 Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies that does help Long story short I have decided to buy this truck from my employer after it was rebuilt and majority of miles were put on by me and this whining noise has gotten way louder and yes it is loud at idle over the engine itself When we dropped it off for inframe he went to talk to service writer and I should have went in with him to make sure this issue was addressed I have not been part of an inframe build before so I’m not sure as to what should be replaced other than pistons rings bearings etc I was an auto mechanic for many years so have good knowledge of engines in general and through searching for the real answers here I could kick myself In my opinion too NO engine should have these kind of gear train noises and the thought of catastrophic failure has crossed my mind also
It looks like I will have to call rebuilder and asap and get the work done the right way and of course down time right now is not good since we are in very busy season
I also struggle to find competent places to get work done these days and although I have done the majority of repairs to this truck I’m still learning these ISX engines and like them but want quiet motor that runs properly
Truck is 2009 KW T660

Mr. Hag yesterday showed me pictures of a truck that came straight from an OEM-certified dealershit here in the atlanta area that had a fresh inframe in it with this same geartrain noise. The gears in the front of the engine had so much gap in them because they were not set properly that they were eating the teeth off of them. It would have only been a matter of time and the whole front geartrain would have been destroyed.

Here is what a dealershit in Michigan did to Waterloo's truck. The scisor gear in the front geartrain was not installed properly, mentioned about mid way into this post -- ( http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid25522 ) . It was on its way to destroying the front of the engine too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Brock
Thanks for the info I will try to arm myself with as much information so when I bring the truck back in I can be ready for whatever it takes to get job done right
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.