Rawze's Daily blog...
05-22-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
RE: Rawze's Daily blog...
Rawze,
Interesting. Did you find that small size wrench (or something) that you've dropped into the engine long time ago? I remember that after that drop you've started put long zip ties on all gear you use for work with open head cover.
replyreply
Rawze, what you said in post 54 reminded me of this little tidbit.

Years ago I knew a guy who was leasing an old '86ish General with a Big Cam 3 or 4 from the carrier on the never never plan. After about a year the engine calved and he didn't have the money to get it done at a proper shop so he had the carriers shop do the inframe. To save the guy some money the carrier agreed to treat it kind of a "make work" project so when things were a bit slow they would do a bit of work on it. Doing it this way it took about a month to do the inframe. In addition to this the shop manager / co owner had a set of bearings left over from an inframe he planned but never got around to doing which he supplied cheap or maybe even free to save a few more dollars.

Fast forward to finished inframe the truck is taken on a short run around the block and came back to the shop knocking it's guts out after less than a mile. The cause, the "free" bearings were standard bearings but the mechanic never checked the bearing clearance properly and later discovered the crank had been turned undersize. Why is it there is never time to do things right but always time to do them over?

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar
[quote='kryten' pid='3395' dateline='1463938430'. Why is it there is never time to do things right but always time to do them over?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you and everyone here know the answer . And the answer is : FOCUSING ON MONEY , INSTEAD OF FOCUSING ON PRIDE !!! ( Long lost business model )
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar
06-19-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
Now Rawze, you've exploded the damn anger /envy volcanoes of all the fuckers who addressed rude words and actions to you. You're the man on ACTIONS not only words! I'm proud that people like you exist! You're an example and a nice human being! Happy and grateful that I met you in the right time of my life!
I've shared your rebuild playlist from youtube, and all of your words and thoughts to all of my friends , so they learn and work the right way! And Ill keep doing that the best I can!
Thanks a lot and may you and that engine last a million more miles/years, lol!
replyreply
06-21-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
Interesting videos Rawze. That's a pretty nice shop there.
I found the part where you talked about spun cam bushings to be very educational for me. When the bushings went on my injector cam it was almost exactly how you explained it in the video . First the oil leak up front. When we went in the top, (it was the one you pointed out) I knew as soon as I seen it,the cam had slid forward then back and the bushing was exposed.The outer part of the bushing was still in the collar and the inner portion was welded to the cam. No real discoloration on the paint though. Anyways, thanks for the great information. Oh yeah, that engine looks real nice inside. Great job.
replyreply
03-31-2017, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
Since my inframe, the engine has been running well. The clutch finally started acting up back in February. It had a broken spring that was bumbling around causing intermittent problems so I replaced it. Not bad for 1.03 million miles on the original clutch. Here are some of the highlights...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid12058

======

My tripp-lite 4,000watt 120v inverter is finally going on the fritz. It has served us faithfully, but I will not be buying another one of this same brand. I have found over the past years of running it in the truck that even though it provides clean power, it is not 100% pure sinewave. There are just some things that hate the power from it. I have had a couple of electric blankets not function properly, and a crock-pot that the control board caught fire as soon as it was used into the truck. I have also has some slight issues with laptop power supplies not lasting as long as they should.

This time around, I will be using this one...

It is supposed to be pure sine. We shall see.

Of all the inverters i have used in the past, the tripp-lite has been pretty good. It is not 100% sine though. The most reliable and purest power I have seen though was from our old xantrex 1,000watt pure sine inverter. That thing is still going strong but it is just too small for the truck. That is why we went with the 4k tripp-lite last time.

Time will tell if this newer Chinese knock-off will hold up, that companies products have some good reviews, so I decided to try it for the price.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
04-16-2017, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
Truck now has this morning, 1,067,186 miles on it and the fuel mileage is coming back. It took about 100k miles or so it seemed. It is breaking all the fuel records again and the oil is nice and clean again too. It had been turning dark brown a bit prematurely for a while there after the in-frame, but now it is back to its former glory.

The engine still has 3 of the original injectors in it, all original fueling and timing actuator solenoids, original cams, rockers, rollers, etc. The cummins re-man turbo now has 487,000 miles on it.

I had to replace a steer tire yesterday on it. It had 140k miles or so and it had worn in the middle. It would have lasted a bit longer but I already had a new tire to put on it. I will be checking king pins again when it comes home this time. They have never been replaced. Last time I checked them they were 0.008" backlash on the passenger side, and 0.009" on the drivers side. Book says it is allowed 0.015" backlash, but I will go ahead and replace them when the drivers side reaches 0.010" just because they are now 1 million plus on them. I want to be safe more than anything else.

Fuel mileage is mid 8's to the pump on regular occasion. Hopefully we will be able to run some trouble free miles with the old truck and get some money saved back up to make up for what the hospitals and tax man took last year. Weather is nice here lately and I am getting back to working on some unfinished projects for once.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Signature620 , Kid Rock , gatow900 , in2trux
(03-31-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  There are just some things that hate the power from it.

I remember an article I read several years ago about inverters. It was stated that a pure sine wave inverter was the way to go but they were very expensive at the time and very hard to find. The modified sine wave inverter was OK if what you were running had a "wall wart", or more correctly a voltage drop converter.

That being said I've had the same microwave in the truck for about 5 years running off first the Volvo factory installed inverter (lasted about 3 weeks longer than the warranty, $2500 to replace), then a 1500 Watt Cobra which was about $300 at the Flying J in Calgary.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
(04-16-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Truck now has this morning, 1,067,186 miles on it and the fuel mileage is coming back. It took about 100k miles or so it seemed. It is breaking all the fuel records again and the oil is nice and clean again too. It had been turning dark brown a bit prematurely for a while there after the in-frame, but now it is back to its former glory.

The engine still has 3 of the original injectors in it, all original fueling and timing actuator solenoids, original cams, rockers, rollers, etc. The cummins re-man turbo now has 487,000 miles on it.

I had to replace a steer tire yesterday on it. It had 140k miles or so and it had worn in the middle. It would have lasted a bit longer but I already had a new tire to put on it. I will be checking king pins again when it comes home this time. They have never been replaced. Last time I checked them they were 0.008" backlash on the passenger side, and 0.009" on the drivers side. Book says it is allowed 0.015" backlash, but I will go ahead and replace them when the drivers side reaches 0.010" just because they are now 1 million plus on them. I want to be safe more than anything else.

Fuel mileage is mid 8's to the pump on regular occasion. Hopefully we will be able to run some trouble free miles with the old truck and get some money saved back up to make up for what the hospitals and tax man took last year. Weather is nice here lately and I am getting back to working on some unfinished projects for once.

Cool. We're still running good in the blue truck. Fuel mileage coming back, but I'm going to take it back over as the driver myself, change of circumstances
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.