[split] Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
04-16-2016, (Subject: [split] Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
[split] Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
Why not ditch the PreCooler?
Like so
[/quote]

Truck won't hit the dyno till summer at the soonest. Ultimate power isn't all that important. The builder of this engine, Mike Fletcher has already built a bunch of them in this configuration. Their performance and reliability have already been proven.

What's your reasoning for ditching the pre cooler? They've been pretty reliable and its' removal would almost certainly raise intake air temps. Think the slight increase in flow would out weigh the temp increase?
replyreply
RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
(04-16-2016 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  
(04-16-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  You must like what you are doing to be good at both computer side and the nuts and bolts side. No one wants to do the nuts and bolts anymore the new generation doesn't want nothing to do with it. It's a dieing bread to say the least.

I resent that comment gearhead

Try telling the ladies at the bar that you are a grease monkey...

replyreply
(04-16-2016 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  It's a FrankenCat.
Hodge podge of the best parts.
Mostly Acert stuff, little bridge motor, shot of marine and even a dash of an industrial application.
70 pin ecm
16:1 compression
Actuators are present but not functional, ecm couldn't run them if it wanted to.
Nothing too crazy, just an honest 1k horses.
Best part?
Still $8k CHEAPER than an emission truck woulda been!

I wouldn't own that truck if you gave it to me. But that is just me.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-17-2016, (Subject: [split] Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
that "air cooler" is not actually a air cooler but a air heater. its been proven that it actually raises intake air temps and is restrictive to boot. We have been removing ours and have had great success - and intake temps have dropped considerably.
replyreply
04-18-2016, (Subject: [split] Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
I wouldn't own that truck if you gave it to me. But that is just me.
[/quote]

What's not to like?
$8k cheaper than an ISX due to FET exemption.
300 pounds lighter.
Will easily out pull the ISX if that's important to you.
No federal laws are broken so the Feds are of no concern. It's even less of an issue being caught in CA with a glider versus a deleted emission truck.
Can be worked on at any Cat dealer without fear of being reported or modified. Try taking a new, deleted 2350 into Cummins or Peterbilt. The Peterbilt mechanics want to dry hump these things.
You can actually get into a Cat dealer in the first place if you need to because they don't have 30+ Check engine light trucks in front of you and another 20 waiting to have the engines replaced.
4 year unlimited mile/hour warranty(Yes this engine still qualifies) compared to none on a deleted ISX or 250k miles 24 months or 6250 hours on a non deleted. You can buy a 500k mile, 60 month or 12,500 hour extended warranty for an additional $14k. Then the glider is $22k less expensive.
Fuel pump failure is $150 and one hour down and can be fixed on the side of the road versus $42k and nine weeks of downtime.
Well over one mpg above a deleted ISX in this application, 1.5-2 mpg above non deleted.
Parts bill for total over haul with new, not reman head, cam and turbos: $18,600 versus $26,500 for a 2350.
850k-1.3M mile life span in this application versus 6k-359k miles. That's right, the current record holder for longevity of a 2250/2350 in an open rack car hauler is 359k miles. It's a crime against humanity how many ISX have catastrophically failed in car haulers. Very few make it to even 300k before spitting out rods or burning oil like a two stroke.

So why, exactly, should I buy a 2350?

Is there even one, single advantage? Besides the option to leave it stock and run California? Which I don't consider an upside!
replyreply
(04-17-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  that "air cooler" is not actually a air cooler but a air heater. its been proven that it actually raises intake air temps and is restrictive to boot. We have been removing ours and have had great success - and intake temps have dropped considerably.

That's very interesting. I was under the impression the coolant flow was shut off via a solenoid below 30 psi where it would in fact be a heater.

I'll definitely look further into it. How have you been removing it? Just taking out the housing, plugging the coolant lines and using a silicone sleeve?
replyreply
First off, you stated it's a thousand h/p and I doubt very much you will ever even come close to 1.3 million miles with that kind of power. I also don't think you can even come close to mpg's of a "Mandate removed cummins.
Yes you will probably blow the doors off anything on the hill but in the end, you will have much greater expenses in tires, bearings, rearends, transmission related problems just to mention a few due to all that un needed power you have there.
The second thing you mentioned was getting into a shop.
I see you have put your faith in their shop instead of taking control of your own business. I'm just saying. Most guys can run the cummins well past a million miles with or without a mandate once they are educated and stop relying on the stealer ships to save their ass. I know this because I'm one of many who do so and I work with drivers every day that learn NOT to rely on someone else for somthing they can do themselves.
But I gotta say, that's a pretty looking thing you got there.
Good luck friend.
replyreply
my buddie is a cat fan to, I am glad I got the isx15 under my hood, to me it is just a far better engine, quieter, better response, better jakes, better on fuel, and more power and torque at the same stock hp level, why the heck would I go backwards, just my opinion
replyreply
There are so many things wrong with what he just said that there is absolutely no point in replying to that twisted logic.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=343

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.