Is this brake shoe legal ?
08-19-2018, (Subject: Is this brake shoe legal ? ) 
Is this brake shoe legal ?
Is the section with the letters and numbers (I guess is about 1/4 inch) , is that the point where it would be ilegal ? These are trailer brakes. Also, is the ware normal. I mean, shouldn’t they ware out evenly ?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
RE: Is this brake shoe legal ?
(08-19-2018 )rrod Wrote:  Is the section with the letters and numbers (I guess is about 1/4 inch) , is that the point where it would be ilegal ? These are trailer brakes. Also, is the ware normal. I mean, shouldn’t they ware out evenly ?

Don’t quote me 100% but I believe brake show thickness is measured in the middle of the shoe at the gap. Don’t have the rule book right in front of me at the moment
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
You're correct about where the lettering is. That is the 1/4" mark for legality purposes. Yes, that is a perfectly normal design to a drum shoe. No, shoes don't wear evenly. I believe you're looking at the anchor side of the shoe. Which is the trailing end of the brake if you drive your vehicle primarily forward. The other side is the s-cam side, which makes contact with the drum 1st and wears out faster. So it should be thicker.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Brock
Great explanation, thanks. Now it makes sense. And yes, the other side is thicker.

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
(08-19-2018 )Kid Rock Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 )rrod Wrote:  Is the section with the letters and numbers (I guess is about 1/4 inch) , is that the point where it would be ilegal ? These are trailer brakes. Also, is the ware normal. I mean, shouldn’t they ware out evenly ?

Don’t quote me 100% but I believe brake show thickness is measured in the middle of the shoe at the gap. Don’t have the rule book right in front of me at the moment

Two piece shoe measure in the middle 1/4 minimum. You can find go/no go gauges to stick in the crack.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
Fyi shoe thickness is not even when they are new. Thicker in middle with taper at each end.
replyreply
I use the shoe lining must be at least twice as thick as the metal that is riveted to philosophy.
replyreply
(08-19-2018 )DosGatos Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 )Kid Rock Wrote:  

Two piece shoe measure in the middle 1/4 minimum. You can find go/no go gauges to stick in the crack.

Just fyi, 1/4 inch is 6 mm. 6 mm is OOS according to CVSA. The minimum thickness allowed is 8mm which is right on that step you see on the shoe. They are made so that you can easily see if the shoes are worn out. Once you dont visually see that step anymore, its time to do brakes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Chamberpains
08-20-2018, (Subject: Is this brake shoe legal ? ) 
(08-19-2018 )DosGatos Wrote:  Two piece shoe measure in the middle 1/4 minimum. You can find go/no go gauges to stick in the crack.
Nope, 1/4" is a fail, as stated by Starlight.

(08-19-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  Just fyi, 1/4 inch is 6 mm. 6 mm is OOS according to CVSA. The minimum thickness allowed is 8mm which is right on that step you see on the shoe. They are made so that you can easily see if the shoes are worn out. Once you dont visually see that step anymore, its time to do brakes.

Standard (US) measurement is 5/16" minimum. Yeah won't get a ticket or placed OOS at 5/16", but you will not make life easy for yourself if that's where you wanna run them to.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos , Starlight , rrod

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.