Is this brake shoe legal ?
08-22-2018, (Subject: Is this brake shoe legal ? ) 
RE: Is this brake shoe legal ?
(08-21-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I'm pretty sure we're looking at a shoe that is a two pad riveted shoe. It is not a solid glued shoe.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
08-22-2018, (Subject: Is this brake shoe legal ? ) 
RE: Is this brake shoe legal ?
(08-21-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I'm pretty sure we're looking at a shoe that is a two pad riveted shoe. It is not a solid glued shoe.

Agreed, as confirmed by this edited pic

That looks like a very new set of shoes.
rrod, the wear line is the red markings, and as Rawze stated, unless you have really low wear on the drums, by the time the wear is to this point, the S-cams will usually "roll over" so it is what most of us would call "an extreme wear limit"
The yellow circled portion of the shoe is the anchor pin side, and the trailing edge rarely touches the drum, or it would drag in the released position. You have a set of curved objects (shoes) that get stretched apart on one end only (s-cam) to drag against a round object, that wears and increases in diameter over time. That's why it's very thin to the wear line at that end, and you will reach wear limits elsewhere in the lining long before this becomes a concern.

When the brakes are cold, most of the contact area is closer to the s-cam side of the lining, as the drums get hot during use and expand in diameter, the center portion has the most contact point and this is where most braking takes place, and why the shoe linings are designed and shaped the way they are. The thicker portions are the sections that wear the most, and near end of service life, the linings are closer to even front to back.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Nostalgic , snailexpress , Rawze , ZeroNthedark

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.