Is this brake shoe legal ?
08-21-2018, (Subject: Is this brake shoe legal ? ) 
RE: Is this brake shoe legal ?
Fmcsa 393.47
"... shall not be less than 4.8 mm (3/16inch) at the shoe center for a shoe with a continuous strip of lining; less than 6.4 mm (1/4inch) at the shoe center for a shoe with two pads; or worn to the wear indicator if the lining is so marked..."
I only know what I read.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , rrod

This is the newest standard from CVSA. Right out of the inspection manual. The federal standard you are qouting might be from an older release.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , rrod
There is no debate.

From the FMCSA USA -- ecfr.gov -- Here is the official ruling that have recently gone into effect as of aug. 17, 2018. It is found in section "393.47 - Brake actuators, slack adjusters, linings/pads and drums/rotors" ...
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECF....5.393_147

Some websites and links still have out of date rulings that differ, but this link I posted is the most up to date standard in effect for the USA. The rules in other countries may vary.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos , rrod
Hammerhead is correct. If it is at the quarter inch mark it is failed and out of service. That is 6 mm. Starlights paper even says anything less than 7 mm is out of service. I'm pretty sure we're looking at a shoe that is a two pad riveted shoe. It is not a solid glued shoe.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
(08-21-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  There is no debate.

From the FMCSA USA -- ecfr.gov -- Here is the official ruling that have recently gone into effect as of aug. 17, 2018. It is found in section "393.47 - Brake actuators, slack adjusters, linings/pads and drums/rotors" ...

Some websites and links still have out of date rulings that differ, but this link I posted is the most up to date standard in effect for the USA. The rules in other countries may vary.
7mm at centre.

Is the op Canadian?

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , rrod
Lets not have a war of words but if you read the link Rawze posted it clearly says that if the shoe is marked with a wear limit point, like they all are, then it becomes the fail point. The 1/4 inch that it speaks about are for when a shoe isnt marked. In 21 years i havent seen a shoe that isnt marked with a wear limit point.

And no we shall not argue but i see no discrepancy between my inspection manual and the link Rawze posted. Only the wording is different.
replyreply
(08-21-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  There is no debate.

And this is in line with what the dot officer told me a month ago during an inspection. I specifically asked him where he measures and how it is determined if it acceptable. He stated that if any portion of the "wear line" cannot be seen ( or worn to the wear indicator if the lining is so marked) he would get right up in my face about it.

User's Signature: If it ain't broke, don't mean it won't be at some point.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Starlight , rrod
Don't know about other trucks, but if I let my brakes get down even close to those wear points or near 1/4",.. the S-cam starts to get close to rolling over if I slam the brakes really hard when testing them. Seen that on a few guys trucks that have come over here actually.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-21-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  This is the newest standard from CVSA. Right out of the inspection manual. The federal standard you are qouting might be from an older release.

I was quoting current dot scripture.
CVSA is a lobbying group. Their mission is to create uniform standards in north america; Canada, USA and Mexico.
They can print handouts all day long but until they succeed the brochure you hold has no meaning. Even they admit; if you want the law, go to the source.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.