Oil Pump Shim
08-20-2018, (Subject: Oil Pump Shim ) 
Oil Pump Shim
How long has yours lasted? I read the whole thread, didnt see any mileage reports from any of you 7-10 dimers. My mechanic (lost access to my shop/tools) is dead set against it, says it's going to wear out everything. I am going through with this project in the next few days whether he likes it or not. Motor is at 760k, pressure is ok but it's a peace of mind thing. How many miles since you did your oil pump shim?
replyreply
RE: Oil Pimp Shim
I have 300k on my inframe with 8 dimes...I cant see how an additional 5-8 extra psi could wear out anything faster except possibly the oil pump. But even then I would expect it to last long enough to make 800k when you should probably roll in new bearings anyways.

PS. ..if you currently have any leaking gaskets or seals this mod eill make them a little worse.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Meatbag
RE: Oil Pump Shim
(08-20-2018 )Meatbag Wrote:  How long has yours lasted? I read the whole thread, didnt see any mileage reports from any of you 7-10 dimers. My mechanic (lost access to my shop/tools) is dead set against it, says it's going to wear out everything. I am going through with this project in the next few days whether he likes it or not. Motor is at 760k, pressure is ok but it's a peace of mind thing. How many miles since you did your oil pump shim?

I have yet to see anyone with any kind of accelerated wear by doing this. Personally I recommend using 6 dimes instead of 8 on anything newer than a CM871 because there is only one overhead cam. I know some guys who did it more than 5 years ago now. Your mechanic needs get his head out of the sand and see the light. I bet he is also against setting liner height to 0.014", using a gallon of gear lube at every oil change and all the other other things proven to be established benefits too.

the oil pressure measured at the rockers is only 9 psi with factory pump pressure. It increases to 11-12 psi with the shimms. - Someone called up cummins engineering about 3 years ago on just this subject and asked them about sustainable oil pressures and they said everything in the engine including filters was rated for at least 60 PSI. Don't know if i would go that high, maybe shortened gasket life on the flywheel housing and front cover,.. but I know lots of guys who have theirs set at 45-50 without issue.

Your paying him,.. not the other way around. Tell him what you want and tell him to suck it up and do things right.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Meatbag
CM871 in a 2010 Prostar. It's funny you mentioned gear lube because he said not to do that either lol. I also have a gallon of GL4 sitting at my house. What he doesn't know........
replyreply
Heres a fun experiment for the gear lube. Change ur oil. Crank it. Listen to it. Then add the gear lube. All that clattering and crap smoothes right out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
For the life of me i dont understand why some people are so dead set against lubricating equipment. Whether its increasing oil psi/flow or using a slightly heavier weight lube they just dont wanna lubricate stuff.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
147k on cm2250 with 8 dimes. You're mechanic is just like every other mechanic out there claiming it will wash out seals and bearings blah blah blah. He's probably agaunts egr tune up, drilling a hole in crankcase filter, doing Over head every 100k-250k, checking scr can for dried up def, using dial indicators to check hub bearing play (they do it by feel) haha
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Brock , Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.