Please Help trailer suspension problems!!!
08-20-2018, (Subject: Please Help trailer suspension problems!!! ) 
Please Help trailer suspension problems!!!
So I bought a trailer from a user on here 4 weeks ago and have already had it in the shop with breakdowns 5 times. First time it was a blown air bag on the front left axle of a spread. The bag bags weren’t getting air. The first shop didn’t figure out that my new trucks middle electrical pin was controlling the dump valve on the bags causing them to continuously dump. But the second shop figured it out and bypassed the solenoid that Controls The dumping so that they would not dump anymore. Then the third problem I had was a rear airbag blowing and when I got to the shop they noticed that all four bolts that connect the spring arms to the beam that holds the airbags were completely missing. So we replace the bolts and an airbag and thought we were OK. Then I brought my trailer to the shop over the weekend just for them to look it all over and they said everything was OK at least they thought, and then this morning in St. Louis another airbag blew on the front axle again and when I stopped I noticed that the bolts on that beam we’re now missing. My question is what could be causing these bolots to break? I think we figured out the air problem with the solenoid but now these bolts are breaking with no known cause. The only thing I can think of is that the bolts that were used previously were not strong enough bolts. At this point I feel like we’re never going to end up solving anything it’s just gonna be one problem after another

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Please Help trailer suspension problems!!!
What does the manufacturer recommend for torque on those bolts? -- Sounds like someone was air-gun happy to me.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jorg81
(08-20-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  What does the manufacturer recommend for torque on those bolts? -- Sounds like someone was air-gun happy to me.

I do not know the answer to that question. I do know that the bolts completely sheared off. First the rear 4 and then the front except one. The guy I bought it from rebuilt everything under the trailer himself 2 years ago, used it for 5k miles with no trouble and then it sat for 2 years before I got it and now I’ve lost 3 airbags and all the suspension
replyreply
Sitting for 2 year dry rotting did nothing good for anything on that trailer. Then running the trailer down the road with thair bags dumped probably pinched and chaffed the bags causing them to rupture. Also running with airbags dumped puts extreme pressure in bad places. You may have sheared the bolts off by doing this or stretched them.

I would start with replacing that final air bag and if there are any mount bolts left that aren't replaced just replace them too. Also take a real close look at the shocks and mounts. Also if it has springs or other suspension parts make sure you give them a real good look over for being cracked or stretched. If you ran very far with a heavy load on with no air in the bags it can do some serious damage.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Jorg81
08-21-2018, (Subject: Please Help trailer suspension problems!!! ) 
I forgot to say last night that the center pin in your trailer cord is also for your ABS. It's the 12 volt feed to the trailer. Does this trailer have ABS? If it does then it's been disconnected or rerouted through a different pin. the guy you bought it from should have told you this. He more than likely had an older truck that didn't have ABS or he's like me and doesn't run ABS so he removed it and rewired around it to use the center pin for something else. Either way the previous owner should have known the center pin was now used for Auxiliary power to the trailer. That's really a dick move if he didn't disclose this to you. But then again it is buyer beware when buying used equipment.
replyreply
(08-21-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I forgot to say last night that the center pin in your trailer cord is also for your ABS. It's the 12 volt feed to the trailer. Does this trailer have ABS? If it does then it's been disconnected or rerouted through a different pin. the guy you bought it from should have told you this. He more than likely had an older truck that didn't have ABS or he's like me and doesn't run ABS so he removed it and rewired around it to use the center pin for something else. Either way the previous owner should have known the center pin was now used for Auxiliary power to the trailer. That's really a dick move if he didn't disclose this to you. But then again it is buyer beware when buying used equipment.

He told me the center pin was the auxiliary power, but what I didn’t know is that on my newer truck, this would cause problems because my center pin is ABS.
replyreply
(08-20-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Sitting for 2 year dry rotting did nothing good for anything on that trailer. Then running the trailer down the road with thair bags dumped probably pinched and chaffed the bags causing them to rupture. Also running with airbags dumped puts extreme pressure in bad places. You may have sheared the bolts off by doing this or stretched them.

I would start with replacing that final air bag and if there are any mount bolts left that aren't replaced just replace them too. Also take a real close look at the shocks and mounts. Also if it has springs or other suspension parts make sure you give them a real good look over for being cracked or stretched. If you ran very far with a heavy load on with no air in the bags it can do some serious damage.

All the bolts have now been replaced, and all but one air bag. The place I bought them from, didn’t have another bag. So I will get one when I can soon.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.