VGT actuator problem
08-24-2018, (Subject: VGT actuator problem ) 
VGT actuator problem
ISX CM2250, deman, logged 2 actuator fault codes this morning.
(SPN 641 FMI 7 & SPN 641 FMI 13)
Hooked up Insite, cleared codes, did histerias test,
Failed.
Went outside and tapped on actuator with screwdriver,
It started to make noise.
Ran test again, passed.
Anyone else experienced this?
What to do next?
Don’t want to replace actuator if it still has life in it.
It is performing great. Any help is appreciated.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: VGT actuator problem
Do you plan on having a go go gadget hammer that extends to the actuator to tap it every time it throws this fault going down the road? Why not pull it apart and have a good look at it? Did you run the Troubleshooting Trees in Insite for the codes you deleted? Also check the wiring to it. Make sure wires hasn't suffered heat damge from being to close to hot exhaust parts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Waterloo
Thanks Chamberpains. Yes, I agree I need to pull it. I have already replaced it and the turbo about 300K ago but it was before I had the deman done, so it suffered some abuse from the factory soot monster.
The problem is I am 7600 miles from the end of this run and I need it to last until I can get home to pull it again. I was thinking of buying one on the road and a couple gas jugs for draining coolant and just keeping them all in the truck in case it craps out before I can get home. I won’t have a core when I purchase and I think if I remember right they are $1100 with no core? Ouch!
Any idea what causes them to stick?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
08-25-2018, (Subject: VGT actuator problem ) 
I know I've heard rawze talk of his failing and manually setting the nozzle to a fixed position until he got home...you wont get full power but it will work for the short term.
replyreply
08-25-2018, (Subject: VGT actuator problem ) 
Swing off at a Lowes, Home Depot or something of the sort and get 5 gallon buckets with lids along with a funnel. Cheaper and easier to clean out to use on other projects. Gas cans are expensive and hard to get contaminants out to ever use for fuel again. I don't know if you need to buy an actuator to carry with you. Just have Google handy in case it craps out on you completely. Almost all parts suppliers including dealerships will deliver parts to you roadside. If not you can always hire a taxi or Uber to deliver or pick you up and take you. That'll solve you core charge issue. I've done this a hand full of times all over the country. If you don't want to take the chance of being stranded in BFE then plan somewhere in you route to stop and set up shop in a parking lot with a parts supplier close and do your troubleshooting. It's always better than a tow hundreds of miles from anywhere. Because once it's broke.... your stuck dealing with it wherever.
Make sure you run the wiring out for the actuator around any where hot or at any potential pinch point like at the back corner of the block or under tight zip ties.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.