Cm870 advise needed
09-03-2018, (Subject: Cm870 advise needed ) 
Cm870 advise needed
My ordeal with a 2007 Cm870 in T600.

I've ran Cat's for the last 30 years, the last Cummins I had was a bc4. So I bought this truck because it supposedly on had 2k on a overhaul (never got the paperwork). It had a check engine light right away,I took it to Cummins, said EGR valve was bad $1700 for new one. My Cat background I decided to go ahead and take the mandate off because shop I knew in Colorado was good at doing them. Local shop pulled the ECM and sent it to them. ( mistake #1) $3k later no check engine light, no EGR life is good!

Not so much, just seemed to run rough. (Keep in mind this is all before I found this site) Took it to another local shop supposedly good with Cummins, ran tests said bad fuel lines because of black specks in fuel was getting air in fuel. New lines $800, life is good? No still not right back to same shop ran more tests, told me clutch was bad, I know the throw out bearing was making noise. I've been trucking long enough to tell the difference between a miss and bad clutch. (should have left at that point). It was pushing a little water out also, they pulled the injectors, had bad injector cup leaking water. Plus both cams and rockers showed bad wear. Cummins reman head, new cams, rockers, new gear pump $18k later, life is good?!

No not so much. Still runs rough plus new problem, burning oil 1 gallon every 4k miles. Took it back to same shop. No warranty on labor, and wanted to charge me to diagnose the problem. That is when I walked. Started researching and found this treasure trove of knowledge.

Bought injector leak tester, found a couple bad injectors, replaced them, bought valve spring compressor, replaced valve guides. No more burning oil.( finally progress)

But still not right I didn't think. Some days it ran really smooth, other days just seemed rough. So replaced cam sensor, crank sensor, both pressure regulators, check valve, barometric air sensor, fuel pressure sensor, intake manifold temp and pressure sensors, exhaust pressure sensor, all 4 actuators.

So I finally got insite and here is what I have found.
Factory this was 450HP CPL 8520 in site shows 565HP CPL 8518
Code on my ECM AB10423.20-8000
Code on insite AB10352.23
Other things on insite I don't understand
Fuel code FCOP412
SC Option 11169
Software 06060001

Plus my insite shows barometric pressure at 28.2 and never seems to change
Ambient air temperature 72, even though it is 90 plus out
Turbo control valve command at 70, all the time, stopped, idle, or stepping on the accelerator.

I generally get between 7 to 7.5 for mileage, 50% of my loads are pto pump off.
Pyrometer will occasional go over 800 but mostly runs 6 to700 range loaded.
Boost will go to 33 if I get after it, but I try to keep it under 20( seems smoother there)
this past winter I couldn't get to go over 24
If you get the RPM over 1700 it really feels rough, I generally run around 1400.

I like the 870, just want it to be right, and worried about possible early death due to bad programming. Considering taking it to Cummins and having them reflash it back stock and fixing the EGR, it went over a million miles that way. I'm not to good with computers, and sounds like anyone good with a 870 is a long way from me, I'm in the middle of Kansas.
I'd appreciate some input on this, I have gleaned a lot of valuable information from this forum. Without it I would still be throwing money at shops that don't have a clue.

Sorry for the book!
replyreply
RE: Cm870 advise needed
(09-03-2018 )IrishKW Wrote:  ...
I knew in Colorado was good at doing them.

They all claim to be "good with them". but most are just brain butchers.

For an 870 specifically, get with Mommaburt or Unilevers on here. Also get the right factory program back in it. After that, the program can be de-mandated properly by one of them and the horsepower set to whatever you want.

You are the victim of a bad delete for sure!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: IrishKW , Oldad6150
Id get into touch with etheir of the guys that rawze mentioned, good guys for sure. When i got my cm870 which is a similar story to yours!. after reading on this site about bad programming.... i figured mine had it, until i dropped a liner and a overhaul later. i got with Uni he took a look at it and explained a lot of the reasons why the truck just in general had a lot of issues. It's as if these shops that do the programming are doing it on purpose and want to make your life a living hell!!!

The CM870 is a great motor! when fixed and maintained properly!

Good Luck to ja bud!

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: IrishKW
Get that wrong program out ASAP. You have a much smaller CPL than your current program is set for. I have the same engine as you, same program, fuel pump code, and software. You wont have any doubt your programming is good with Unilevers or MommaBurt. Mine is set at 450hp and runs so damn smooth after their tune. The loudest part of the engine running is the damn air compressor knock the rest whispers once its warmed up.
Both of them are remote tuners so you can do it from the comfort of your home or where ever you get Wi-Fi.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: IrishKW , Volvo8873
Thanks for the input. I figured it was programming issues after all the bad things this forum has said about people pushing demandate programs that don't have a clue how a Cummins works. This guy is known for his work on Cat's, but obviously doesn't understand an ISX. Lesson learned!

On the days it runs good I really enjoy this engine, rough running days not so much.

I'll pm one of the two and see if they can get it straightened out.
replyreply
Ya we will get ya sorted, i know this shop well. call me on the number i Pmed you im always down for a good story.

Also so everyone knows,

Mommaburt works for me, so its may not always be me helping you - it may be him aswell.
The bill will still be from me though! :waaaht:
replyreply
 Thanks given by: IrishKW , iceman , zero4 , gatow900
09-04-2018, (Subject: Cm870 advise needed ) 
(09-03-2018 )IrishKW Wrote:  My ordeal with a 2007 Cm870 in T600

I too have a CM870 CPL 8520 I took my truck to Gearhead in PA. Did a full overhead on it , delete too. Bumped the H.P some. The truck has never run better! I would suggest one of the shops on this Forum to get you straightened out.
replyreply
(09-04-2018 )05ISX450 Wrote:  
(09-03-2018 )IrishKW Wrote:  My ordeal with a 2007 Cm870 in T600

I too have a CM870 CPL 8520 I took my truck to Gearhead in PA. Did a full overhead on it , delete too. Bumped the H.P some. The truck has never run better! I would suggest one of the shops on this Forum to get you straightened out.

Gearhead in PA ( http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...36#pid5536 ) is also not a bad choice if you can get a hold of him. I just find it quite shameful though that he does not bother to hang out on here any more, or answer his phone when most people try to call.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
{shop name removed. no longer recommended}
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.