ROM Boot ISX
09-03-2018, (Subject: ROM Boot ISX ) 
ROM Boot ISX
I just got through scaring the living shat out of myself. I finally found some dater and so proceeded to update my ECM. I backed up the ECM(2250) in the other software and when I was back in Insight I right clicked on the update and followed all the prompts(same cpl 3719 and version CL10136)(I selected save/restore adjustable parameters) took about 15 minutes and then said I updated successfully (.36 to .39.)

After reconnecting with insite I go to the parameters and check to make sure everything is the same as I had written down and it wasn't. I changed a few back(not all) and tried to save and it said it saved them; without asking to turn the key off. I'm saying to myself, uh oh :/ Anyway, after making a few more changes I disconnect and reconnect, via the menu selections, in Insight, and now it says I'm in rom boot mode? The truck doesn't start in this mode(duh) and dashboard display says "NO ENG" LOL, no it didn't laugh at me. The other software doesn't recognize the adapter so it's worthless through J1939 or J1708. Now I'm getting sick.

So, I'm in panic mode now, do about 45 minutes worth of worthless research on the net to find absolutely nothing that I think I'm looking for. I have the ROM boot cable! Umm, nowhere I could find that shows how to hook it up. I get the power connections and the triangular connector but don't know about the oval(2 pin) connector and then don't know how to use the sofware with the cable.

Finally use Insight with the key off and a burn a fleet cal. It goes through the motions only with this method it doesn't ask many questions and proceeds to jam the file(same update I orginally tried to write) and then complains that it failed. Truck starts and all is well, save some incorrect parameters.

The ECM is almost completely erased, no aftertreatment history none of the dataplate information(except what comes with the file and the injector trim codes) I'm going to run with this until I get home and then put the backed up file back in.

How do you connect the bench cable with the unit on the truck? Also which software works better with the rom boot cable?

Thanks.
replyreply
RE: ROM Boot ISX
Hopefully you created an image or 'work order' before you started all this or a short time prior. With that you can create a template which will give you 99% of your features and parameters back.

You can bench top it on the truck or take it off it really doesn't matter. Remove all the plugs, plug in bench top, power the parent cable through the two-pin oval weatherpack. The INLINE will get it's power through the USB

Software choice is up to you really. Both will work, it may still cost you a fleet count thru insite. Sometimes it will come up seeded and not want one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
just for reference for other people reading this thread, this is for a different engine.

DO NOT USE THE BACKBONE CONNECTOR ON A 870!!! IT SHUTS OFF THE ENGINE SIDE 1939 DURING FLASHING AND IT WILL FAIL 10-15% IN..

you have been warned.

On a side note 871 and up ECM's are tough as nails and there is almost nothing you can do to brick them. ask me how i know that...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , snailexpress , Signature620 , Chamberpains , Rawze , oldgms , Brock
09-07-2018, (Subject: ROM Boot ISX ) 
(09-03-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  just for reference for other people reading this thread, this is for a different engine.

DO NOT USE THE BACKBONE CONNECTOR ON A 870!!! IT SHUTS OFF THE ENGINE SIDE 1939 DURING FLASHING AND IT WILL FAIL 10-15% IN..

you have been warned.

On a side note 871 and up ECM's are tough as nails and there is almost nothing you can do to brick them. ask me how i know that...

OK I'll bite, how do you know that...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: trucklogger2
09-21-2018, (Subject: ROM Boot ISX ) 
Is there any precautions i can take to avoid the dreaded RomBoot? I just tried updating my calibration from Quickserve and ended up with romboot, so had to pay cummins 300 to zapit and install the updated calibration. I'm working on a demandated tune and now i'm nervous because i don't want to go thru this again. My truck is a 2004 KW T800 with ISX CM 870. Any pointers would be much appreciated. If i need to purchase the RomBoot cable which one should i trust? The internet is full of them, But just because it say's so on the internet doesn't make it true LOL.
replyreply
(09-21-2018 )oldgms Wrote:  Is there any precautions i can take to avoid the dreaded RomBoot? I just tried updating my calibration from Quickserve and ended up with romboot, so had to pay cummins 300 to zapit and install the updated calibration. I'm working on a demandated tune and now i'm nervous because i don't want to go thru this again. My truck is a 2004 KW T800 with ISX CM 870. Any pointers would be much appreciated. If i need to purchase the RomBoot cable which one should i trust? The internet is full of them, But just because it say's so on the internet doesn't make it true LOL.

CM870's are notorious for this. Some rules to follow will keep you from ending up in that situation...

* NEVER EVER EVER try to flash one using anything but the j1939 connector either in the dash (and lock out the J1708) or use the "Weather Pack" connector on CAN1 for the engine harness. CAN2 connector will brick the ECM as Unilevers stated above. Sometimes people get away with trying to flash one through the dash connector/1708 but you are doing nothing but asking for this problem. Insite with a genuine inline5 or 6 will flash with 1708 but unreliably.

* You should NOT use certian versions of calterm to dump "download" file to one unless you are prepared to un-brick the thing yourself just like you have experienced. CT corrupts portions of the file for the CM870 unpredictably when you try to save the file.

* You should NOT Edit an original Incal file to create a custom tune or del file directly unless you know how to "Un-corrupt" it adfter you have hit the "Save" buttopn in that software. The "Save" button in certian versions of Cal4THerm is you enemy on the CM870 ECM's. It corrupts parts of the file every time. Sometimes ppl will get away with it and sometimes they won't, and hence the ECM is bricked at some point. Performing only an overlay usually does not cause this issue though.

* Lastly,.. it is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE --- ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!! --- TO MAKE A PROPER "DELETE" FILE FOR THE CM870 separate from the ECM!!!. You can get mnost of the way there,.. but there are parameters and settings THAT ARE ONLY LOCCATED IN LIVE RAM DATA that need changing too, hence fourth it is impossible to make a file that can just be dumped into the thing. IT HAS TO BE EDITED LIVE WHILE CONNECTED TO THE ECM for those ram settings to get properly done. -- This is ALSO WHY there4 are so many unstable and bad programs out there for that model engine.

-- My suggestion -- Get with Mommaburt or Unilevers and have them do the thing for you. 870 ECU's are particularly finicky bastards and picky to get right even for the veterans. They are an unstable, buggy ECM and always have been.

** I think Unilevers is on vacation this week so have some patience if you have PM'd him.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , fargonaz
(09-21-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  ...

-- My suggestion -- Get with Mommaburt or Unilevers and have them do the thing for you. 870 ECU's are particularly finicky bastards and picky to get right even for the veterans. They are an unstable, buggy ECM and always have been.

** I think Unilevers is on vacation this week so have some patience if you have PM'd him.
Thank you for the reply.I'm using 3.6 because I could never get a straight answer as to weather 4 was really worth the effort to install. As far as live data that's what I have been working with to make sure what I'm doing is working properly or not. This is my first cummins.and being I just inframed it with OEM parts including injector cam I seriously do not want soot going into my fresh build.As an equitment mecanic the company I'm hired onto rely heavily on me being on different site's,last thing I need is issue's with this thing.I need reliability from this otherwise I'll go back to cat.
replyreply
10-06-2019, (Subject: ROM Boot ISX ) 
(09-03-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  just for reference for other people reading this thread, this is for a different engine.

you have been warned.

Can a 871 be programmed to work on a 870?
replyreply
10-07-2019, (Subject: ROM Boot ISX ) 
(10-06-2019 )togglehiem Wrote:  

you have been warned.

Can a 871 be programmed to work on a 870?

I am by no means an expert on this subject but I would have to say no it couldn't. Otherwise these guys would be doing exactly that.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.