In Frame photos of Bearings, Head and Liner
04-21-2016, (Subject: In Frame photos of Bearings, Head and Liner ) 
In Frame photos of Bearings, Head and Liner
2008 Prostar, CM871 600 hp aprox 900,000 miles on the ODO and 14,500+ hours on motor. Ran mandate up until roughly 750,000 miles.

The motor has always used Rotella T since new according to the records I have found. I am the third owner and purchased at 680,000 miles on ODO. I have ran Sta-Lube gear oil in her since eliminating the mandate at 750,000. Head gasket failure is the reason I am having the in frame done.

Here are some photos I took today. The first one is one of the head bolts, notice the pitting. There were two like this, they were on the inside of the head near the 5/6 cylinder.

None of these parts were cleaned. On the bearings I simply wiped off the oil with a rag before photographing.

All of the liners looked identical. No need posting all of those photos.

The cams, which I did not photograph, were looking very good, no sign of wear that I saw on either of those. It was suggested that I could use them again if I wanted to. I passed, new cams were installed.

The pistons were really carboned/sooted up. They all looked about the same.

When I took her in, the oil pressure @ 1400 rpm was 32 PSI. At idle, 22 psi was the norm.

Oil was changed religiously every 12,000 to 15,000 miles and used FleetGuard filters.

replyreply
RE: In Frame photos of Bearings, Head and Liner
that bolt could just be bad quality control when it was made , the bearings look pertty good as far as even wear front to back of engine , would mean u crank an block alignment is pretty good , there never perfect is why on some engines u see more on some bearings then others steel creeps with age use an heat cycles , liner inside look nice , top of piston looks nice how was the ring tension when u pulled them out burnt carbon/ oil in an around
ring groves wile rings in groves , no rings sticking ? u do know that rawze has now set the standard for a clean inside engine , something for every one to strive for i would think .al an all though still looks pertty good
replyreply
Rings where good on that cylinder for sure. You can tell by how perfect the top soot is wiped very even.
replyreply
Rings were good, everything came apart nicely. The rings themselves were oily, had their tension still left in them, and I saw no signs of soot or carbon build up on them or in the grooves on the piston. They actually looked pretty good, nice and "snappy"...

And that piston, I just grabbed it off the bench and shot a photo, I did not clean it. They all looked like that, with the carbon/soot on the tops.

The shop knows I have the mandate removed and were very leery of doing this job, as they have seen some really horrific mandate removals. Some outfit has gone as far as to drill holes in the block destroying the motor. There is another local shop doing the "cook the motor" mandate removal that the butcher shops do. I interviewed him not knowing they did that. He wanted to fix mine with one of those old fashioned turbos and manifold along with his "custom" tune. He blamed my tune for the head gasket, which I know is BS. I ran from him. The shop I am at, International dealer, will not touch those trucks, as the damage is to extensive and they can only return the truck back to stock, which is very expensive.

On my truck, I showed them around, told them what was done, they said ok, we will see what the internals look like... They about fell over! Said it was one of the cleanest 2008 ISX they have had through their shop. Both externally and internally. It is so good, they are giving me the full warranty on all parts and labor. They liked what they saw. Works for me.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.