isx cm871 overspooling
09-04-2018, (Subject: isx cm871 overspooling ) 
isx cm871 overspooling
Hi , I have a ISX 425s 2010 kw t660 ,had the mandate removed March last year. All ran good, boost was the same as before. Bought the truck with 350k on the clock, but after dumping $10 k in the epa system to replace, 14 months later if fowls again, so did the mandate removal.
Blew head gasket 1 year after. Think head gasket was bad for a while due to one head bolt that had to be cut off to remove head, it being covered in rust on removal of head.
After Head replacement, cam bearings, and rod and main bearings, first load was showing well over 40 lbs boost, was never over 36 lbs prior. only other thing replaced was exhaust temp tube to exhaust temp sensor, it showed being cracked with tell tale "dirt" around tube except where it broke completely when removed.
I have now trashed 3 turbos in less than 40k miles. Sent last to shop to be diagnosed, result is over spooling. I was also thinking oil cooler plugged as the temps were rising late last year into early spring prior to head gasket going. so this time around, had oil thermostat changed before leaving repair shop for home shop, where i will have cooler replaced.
I am at a loss as to what is really cause of the turbo's blowing, i cant totally blame the mandate removal, as the motor performed very well for the year prior to the head work done. I feel it is something done or not done during the head replacement. any ideas with what i have stated since the replacement that affected boost and over spooling that was not happening before?
replyreply
RE: isx cm871 overspooling
Usually when a turbo overspools/ overspeeds, it's always caused by a boost/preturbo exhaust leak and usually a check engine light will come on if the turbo speed is 150k+ rpm until you back off the fuel, are the cans completely hollowed or was it halfassed?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Crash Dummy
(09-04-2018 )Crash Dummy Wrote:  Hi , I have a ISX 425s 2010 kw t660 ,had the mandate removed March last year. All ran good, boost was the same as before. Bought the truck with 350k on the clock, but after dumping $10 k in the epa system to replace, 14 months later if fowls again, so did the mandate removal.
Blew head gasket 1 year after. Think head gasket was bad for a while due to one head bolt that had to be cut off to remove head, it being covered in rust on removal of head.
After Head replacement, cam bearings, and rod and main bearings, first load was showing well over 40 lbs boost, was never over 36 lbs prior. only other thing replaced was exhaust temp tube to exhaust temp sensor, it showed being cracked with tell tale "dirt" around tube except where it broke completely when removed.
I have now trashed 3 turbos in less than 40k miles. Sent last to shop to be diagnosed, result is over spooling. I was also thinking oil cooler plugged as the temps were rising late last year into early spring prior to head gasket going. so this time around, had oil thermostat changed before leaving repair shop for home shop, where i will have cooler replaced.
I am at a loss as to what is really cause of the turbo's blowing, i cant totally blame the mandate removal, as the motor performed very well for the year prior to the head work done. I feel it is something done or not done during the head replacement. any ideas with what i have stated since the replacement that affected boost and over spooling that was not happening before?

Everything you just described points directly towards the symptoms of a bad delete program.

* Overheating oil.
* Over-spooling turbo
* excess boost.
* head gasket failures.

-- It sounds like your well on the path of a second engine failure in short order. You can convince yourself otherwise, but it is only going to cost you another inframe and another head and all your mistakes all over again.

In fact, your descriptions sound EXACTLY like the really horrible big-name delete programs those guys in southern Utah do (or a copy of their terrible work).

Pull the program out of the truck ASAP and e-mail it to me, or one of the guys recommended here on the forum to inspect it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Crash Dummy , imalumberjack , Oldad6150 , victory26
(09-04-2018 )marek4792 Wrote:  Usually when a turbo overspools/ overspeeds, it's always caused by a boost/preturbo exhaust leak and usually a check engine light will come on if the turbo speed is 150k+ rpm until you back off the fuel, are the cans completely hollowed or was it halfassed?

complete removal, straight pipes. had muffler put on after second turbo went, due to being too loud. No lights or warnings at all, first 2 turbos after head work, made a loud bang and smoke, this time no bang, just a whiz and smoke, loss of power.
Also had some oil in cac, and none in exhaust, first 2 times. Last time, had replaced all inbound oil and water lines replaced at last install, poured 2.5 gals oil from cac, and at least half to 3/4 gallon from exhaust.
replyreply
(09-04-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-04-2018 )Crash Dummy Wrote:  Hi , I have a ISX 425s 2010 kw t660 ,had the mandate removed March last year. All ran good, boost was the same as before. Bought the truck with 350k on the clock, but after dumping $10 k in the epa system to replace, 14 months later if fowls again, so did the mandate removal.

Everything you just described points directly towards the symptoms of a bad delete program.

* Overheating oil.
* Over-spooling turbo
* excess boost.
* head gasket failures.

-- It sounds like your well on the path of a second engine failure in short order. You can convince yourself otherwise, but it is only going to cost you another inframe and another head and all your mistakes all over again.

In fact, your descriptions sound EXACTLY like the really horrible big-name delete programs those guys in southern Utah do (or a copy of their terrible work).

Pull the program out of the truck ASAP and e-mail it to me, or one of the guys recommended here on the forum inspect it.

ugh, was afraid you would say that! My Mechanic doesn't do the programming, he has some guy online do it from a remote, which i didnt know till just recently.
just wish i had found you before i jumped off into it. As hard as times had gotten, just couldnt see throwin another 10k in filters and docs at it in so short a time between them.
replyreply
I'll bet the programmer from Chicago.
replyreply
09-05-2018, (Subject: isx cm871 overspooling ) 
We all learn this way. Unfortunately, Doing the right thing is destructive to those assholes profits. So Rawze has to protect this place. Hell, he had to create this forum just to have a place to share good clean knowledge. You can still find where he posted on some other sites back in 2011-2013 all the free info he was learning and figuring out at the time. Then theres the other sh1t sites that have scrubbed any part of him being on them because free knowledge cuts into their profit and Self inflated ego's. And maybe a little of Rawze's "not pussy footin around" hot sauce online presense could of helped a little too. Haha.
Your here now so get your reading glasses out and flip your brain into sponge mode and start making your trucking business a profitable business again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Crash Dummy
Very rare for a Holset VGT to actually blow. They usually wear out well beforr any serious destruction. I bet the turbo speed derate is disabled or set very high.
replyreply
(09-04-2018 )snailexpress Wrote:  I'll bet the programmer from Chicago.

no, Florida
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.