Possible cm871 pruchase
09-05-2018, (Subject: Possible cm871 pruchase ) 
Possible cm871 pruchase
I've been lurking for a couple of months and appreciate the knowledge that Rawse and members here share on a regular basis. Tomorrow I will be inspecting a '11 ProStar that has had the following repairs:

11 MONTHS AGO:

1)CAM
2)Carrier Bearing
3)#3 Injector
4)EGR & DOC

4 MONTHS AGO:

1)Rebuilt Transmission
2)New Clutch

At this point it is questionable as to whether these repairs were made with OEM parts. I was told that an International dealership made the repairs; however, I don't think I will have receipts that verify this. My understanding is that Rawse and others believe strongly that original OEM parts be used to rebuild engines. Thank you in advanced for sharing your concerns, ideas and suggestions on what to look, listen and smell for above and beyond the list Rawse shared in the "First Time Guide".

btw...The truck has 750+ miles.
replyreply
09-06-2018, (Subject: Possible cm871 pruchase ) 
RE: Possible cm871 pruchase
(09-05-2018 )lwood Wrote:  I've been lurking for a couple of months and appreciate the knowledge that Rawse and members here share on a regular basis. Tomorrow I will be inspecting a '11 ProStar that has had the following repairs:

11 MONTHS AGO:

1)CAM
2)Carrier Bearing
3)#3 Injector
4)EGR & DOC

4 MONTHS AGO:

1)Rebuilt Transmission
2)New Clutch

At this point it is questionable as to whether these repairs were made with OEM parts. I was told that an International dealership made the repairs; however, I don't think I will have receipts that verify this. My understanding is that Rawse and others believe strongly that original OEM parts be used to rebuild engines. Thank you in advanced for sharing your concerns, ideas and suggestions on what to look, listen and smell for above and beyond the list Rawse shared in the "First Time Guide".

btw...The truck has 750+ miles.

I know this reply is coming late as it's already tomorrow in relationship with your post but here it is none the less. Keep in mind that I have CDO(OCD so severe that the letters need to be in alphabetical order) so take what I say with a grain of salt. In my opinion any truck that has all the mandates in place with 750k+ miles on it is very near the end of it's over all life expectancy, just my opinion based on what I've seen with my own eyes. Also, if the truck does not have a 13/18 speed trans and 3.70 or 3.90 rears I would stop looking at it. But to answer your specific questions, the repairs done 11 months ago would make me suspect they were chasing a vibration, and the repairs made 7 months later would make me think that they didn't find it the first time. When I inspect a truck I want to see the cams and rollers with my own eyes, if that's too much to ask then that's a deal breaker for me. Assuming they let me inspect under the valve cover then I want Insite hooked up to see what happening inside. Again if that's too much to ask then that's also a deal breaker. Lastly, any claimed repairs without paperwork are assumed non-existent and at best a list of what they think might be wrong with it. Just my $0.02.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , lwood , Waterloo , redbeard
(09-06-2018 )bubbanbrenda Wrote:  I know this reply is coming late as it's already tomorrow in relationship with your post but here it is none the less. Keep in mind that I have CDO(OCD so severe that the letters need to be in alphabetical order) so take what I say with a grain of salt. In my opinion any truck that has all the mandates in place with 750k+ miles on it is very near the end of it's over all life expectancy, just my opinion based on what I've seen with my own eyes. Also, if the truck does not have a 13/18 speed trans and 3.70 or 3.90 rears I would stop looking at it. But to answer your specific questions, the repairs done 11 months ago would make me suspect they were chasing a vibration, and the repairs made 7 months later would make me think that they didn't find it the first time. When I inspect a truck I want to see the cams and rollers with my own eyes, if that's too much to ask then that's a deal breaker for me. Assuming they let me inspect under the valve cover then I want Insite hooked up to see what happening inside. Again if that's too much to ask then that's also a deal breaker. Lastly, any claimed repairs without paperwork are assumed non-existent and at best a list of what they think might be wrong with it. Just my $0.02.

BUBBANBRENDA, thanks for your reply. I agree with the truck being near the end of its first life. My goal would be to run another 100++ real gentle like and get an overhaul. It is a 13sp od with 3.55 rears. I'll be running dry van @ 70 - 80000 a majority of the time. The transmission was very wet after the test drive to the point it was dripping. The salesman promised that they would try to get the truck back in the shop this afternoon but couldn't promise anything. It turns out that their sister dealership was the one that made the repairs on the trany...so maybe not a real good sign. The salesman sounded like there would not be much room for negotiation on price regarding the overall condition of the truck, so I did not run through a thorough inspection.

OTHER CONCERNS & QUESTIONS

1)Snapped bolt to exhaust manifold.
2)Lack of Engine Brake. I believe a a dyno would show hp/compression, but would lack of engine brake show lack of compression? Or no?
3)In 51 minutes coolant pressure dropped from 16 --> 14.5psi. I feel Rawze stated that this is like a zero tolerance issue. I did find 2 very small external leaks & I'm not sure if they would be the cause of this kind of loss.
4)Small surge of 25-35 rpms after 2nd start. Truck was idling @ 600rpms.
5)Is it possible that there is a simple solution to the trany leakage that would make it worth my wait on this dealership shop? Thanks
replyreply
The trans. leak could simply be a rear seal. No big deal. Could also be loose plug or cooler lines, Shotty work?? If it's up in the bell housing then the input shaft sealant got cooked and that's not a good sign at all. Let them fix it and see what it is.
Snapped manifold bolt... this happens and it sucks to extract one sometimes. Let them fix it and fight it if need be.
Now no Engine brake... What do you mean no engine brake? Like it didn't make a sound or it made a sound and didn't do anything to hold the truck back. Both are major issues for an engine brake. Cummins ISX will all but throw you thru the windshield if you have stage 2 or 3 on while bobtailing. If it had no engine brake at all then there is a wiring problem or solenoid issue. Some more details on this would be nice. How did you check the Engine Brake. Driving it or just sitting still and reving the engine. Reving the engine won't usually get them to kick on, if it does it's real fast.
It sounds like they're trying to push this thing out the door. I would do a thorough check on it. Write all problems down. Then take a goooood loooong look at it and if they aren't willing to budge on price to accommodate the repairs. Then throw the list away and go home and sleep good that you walked away from a headache you didn't need. Remember, when you buy this thing, all those problems you didn't bother to look at are still going to be there and need addressed. This is NOT a business that if you ignore it or turn the radio up louder so you can't hear it, then it will go away. It will come out and bite you at the worst possible time, during the worst weather you've ever seen, at temperatures that the devil him self would shutter at and you'll have to figure out how to deal with it then. Nothing should ever go unchecked in trucking.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: lwood
(09-06-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Now no Engine brake... What do you mean no engine brake? Like it didn't make a sound or it made a sound and didn't do anything to hold the truck back. Both are major issues for an engine brake. Cummins ISX will all but throw you thru the windshield if you have stage 2 or 3 on while bobtailing. If it had no engine brake at all then there is a wiring problem or solenoid issue. Some more details on this would be nice. How did you check the Engine Brake. Driving it or just sitting still and reving the engine. Reving the engine won't usually get them to kick on, if it does it's real fast.
Chamberpains, Thanks for sharing the possible solutions for the transmission. I've just received word the transmission output shaft is leaking. It's not a big deal they said. It will be a couple of hours and some gaskets to reseal.

They are estimating 15 hours for head bolt on the exhaust manifold.

The engine brake did not make any sound & gave nothing to hold the truck back as I had a chance to test drive the truck.

Sounds like they are willing to work things out. Thanks for the advice. I will come back with a thorough inspection.
replyreply
(09-06-2018 )lwood Wrote:  
(09-06-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Now no Engine brake... What do you mean no engine brake? Like it didn't make a sound or it made a sound and didn't do anything to hold the truck back. Both are major issues for an engine brake. Cummins ISX will all but throw you thru the windshield if you have stage 2 or 3 on while bobtailing. If it had no engine brake at all then there is a wiring problem or solenoid issue. Some more details on this would be nice. How did you check the Engine Brake. Driving it or just sitting still and reving the engine. Reving the engine won't usually get them to kick on, if it does it's real fast.
Chamberpains, Thanks for sharing the possible solutions for the transmission. I've just received word the transmission output shaft is leaking. It's not a big deal they said. It will be a couple of hours and some gaskets to reseal.

They are estimating 15 hours for head bolt on the exhaust manifold.

The engine brake did not make any sound & gave nothing to hold the truck back as I had a chance to test drive the truck.

Sounds like they are willing to work things out. Thanks for the advice. I will come back with a thorough inspection.

I won't lie the more info you share the worse my spidey senses are going off pretty bad, I think even if you get them to make all the repairs I don't see it lasting much longer. I would keep shopping
replyreply
 Thanks given by: lwood
09-10-2018, (Subject: Possible cm871 pruchase ) 
Thanks for the shared insight. I decided to pass on this one.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.