Tire psi in 100+ degree weather??
09-07-2018, (Subject: Tire psi in 100+ degree weather?? ) 
Tire psi in 100+ degree weather??
I've been reading articles online but can't seen to get an answer to what tire psi should be on 100+ weather. What are you guys running the pressure at? What do you set the cold psi at? Should I set the psi about 10%-15% less than recommend max psi on tire wall? I am confused. What are you guys setting cold psi for steer and drives? Thanks guys
replyreply
RE: Tire psi in 100+ degree weather??
I would set it a tad less, but only do that on a cold tire, letting the air out. Say 90 on the drives, 100 on the steers, there about. Some of these tire manufacturers are saying running a bit lower psi is better in the long run for the longevity of the tire. I have read that in several publications from the tire "engineers" at Michelin and I think Continental. If true or not, I don't know.

Others will chime in.
replyreply
I don't really know. I've heard anything below 90 is considered a flat by DOT.
I've heard those tire caps that allow you to inflate without removing from a tireman told me that they leak and it is better to get the completely sealed ones.

For 100 degrees I would think less because they heat up when you drive but not sure what pressure for 100 degrees.
replyreply
Hot days when set at 95 psi they can easily reach 110 to 115. Every now and then my inflate/deflate system doesn’t auto deflate till I cycle the key and i notice it rise up to those numbers. Newer tires heat up more I think as more rubber expands and contracts.

User's Signature: If it ain't broke, don't mean it won't be at some point.
replyreply
09-08-2018, (Subject: Tire psi in 100+ degree weather?? ) 
I figure the tire manufacturers put a little effort into the capabilities of their rubber. So when they put the highest load rating at whatever cold PSI and print that on the side of the tire, it only stands that they then heated that cold pressure up to whatever conditions its going to be exposed to and see if it failed. If it failed it would be hard to market it in Arizona on a hot day.
I run whatever that max PSI is year round and I get 200,000+ out of steers and 350,000+ out of drives no problem.
My Michelin Steers are 120 cold psi and on hot running days I've checked them @ 135 psi hot. Then they cool down on break and the cycle repeats.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hegemeister
The general rule of thumb on tires is ... the more cold air pressure you put in them, the less hot air pressure gets in them. Those guys who move RV mobile-homes that are severely overloaded learn this the hard way.

I check/set mine for 115 PSI all the way around when not going down the road with them. When the tires are hot, I don't worry about it unless one looks like it is getting low. - no sense in over-thinking it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Moose
(09-08-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  The general rule of thumb on tires is ... the more cold air pressure you put in them, the less hot air pressure gets in them. Those guys who move RV mobile-homes that are severely overloaded learn this the hard way.

I check/set mine for 115 PSI all the way around when not going down the road with them. When the tires are hot, I don't worry about it unless one looks like it is getting low. - no sense in over-thinking it.

I was waiting for this...me too, even at >20k lbs/axle.
If it is gettin too hot, I just slow down.
Over 110°, I won’t go over 50mph. On TX 2 lane blacktop in those temps, 45...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I'm the same.. 30 degrees or 110 degrees, same pressure.
replyreply
I have a question that would be related to this topic, I have a dump I run 80k almost all the time sometimes I get a blowout or just tire failure so I try to replace and match the tread to the partner while this is fairly easy on trailer not so much on tractor. The question is what would be recommended for the drive tires having them uneven from each other by a couple 8ths or having the left pair be different from right pair on same axle?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.