Tire psi in 100+ degree weather??
09-08-2018, (Subject: Tire psi in 100+ degree weather?? ) 
RE: Tire psi in 100+ degree weather??
(09-08-2018 )frameless1 Wrote:  I have a question that would be related to this topic, I have a dump I run 80k almost all the time sometimes I get a blowout or just tire failure so I try to replace and match the tread to the partner while this is fairly easy on trailer not so much on tractor. The question is what would be recommended for the drive tires having them uneven from each other by a couple 8ths or having the left pair be different from right pair on same axle?

Have the taller tire shaved down?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The spiders would have a easier time with mismatched tires on opposite wheel ends on the same axle than the power divider would having different heights on the front and rear axles. As far as matching tread depth I would say no more than 2/32nd. Tire shops say 4/32 but I think 1/8th of an inch is just too much difference.
replyreply
(09-08-2018 )frameless1 Wrote:  I have a question that would be related to this topic, I have a dump I run 80k almost all the time sometimes I get a blowout or just tire failure so I try to replace and match the tread to the partner while this is fairly easy on trailer not so much on tractor. The question is what would be recommended for the drive tires having them uneven from each other by a couple 8ths or having the left pair be different from right pair on same axle?

If you’re not shaving/grinding them down, then (as close as possible) matched pairs side by eash, and differing height across the axle. Most guys with gravel miles don't shave tires, their ground conditions take care of that fast enough for them.
Lots of guys buy one drive axle at a time due to budgets (bad idea), but powerdividers don't like that. If your axle wear is starting to differentiate more than 3/32's, it's time to rotate the tires.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver
(09-07-2018 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  I've heard anything below 90 is considered a flat by DOT.

I hope not. If that is the case, than every trailer I pull has eight flat tires according to DOT. The big box store company I pull freight for only fills their junk recap tires to 80 psi. I hate it. I usually fill them to 110. But it is every freakin trailer.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
09-09-2018, (Subject: Tire psi in 100+ degree weather?? ) 
(09-08-2018 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  
(09-07-2018 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  I've heard anything below 90 is considered a flat by DOT.

I hope not. If that is the case, than every trailer I pull has eight flat tires according to DOT. The big box store company I pull freight for only fills their junk recap tires to 80 psi. I hate it. I usually fill them to 110. But it is every freakin trailer.

Yes its true.. got inspection 1 time in i44, mo exit 4 scale.. that day they just went around check tire pressure only.,summer season. he told me if any 10% less than manufacture print on the tire.. there will be citation..
Let say the tire print 100 psi in cold.. he measure 90. Got ticket
The thing is when inspection.. tire was hot.. so if it is 90 psi whick meant when cold i am pretty sure it way below that..
replyreply
I can understand that on steers as 110 psi is the min to carry 6250 lbs per tire on "g" rated tires but the drives can carry much more at lower psi. Taken to court a simple load chart from michelin specifying xx psi to carry 17000 lbs per axle would get that ticket thrown out as the manufacturer is starting their tires are tested to run that weight at that psi.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar

This is only what I used to do , not saying it was right.
I would run my drives down to 40 % then pull them and use them for the trailer . For some reason drive tires at 40% would last just as long as brand new ones on the trailer . I very rarely had to buy trailer tires or had any tire issues. Yes, I did run 90% off-road and and in very rough country.
The other thing I did ... I am sure this will spark many different opinions. I ran with my power divider in all the time . I always had very even tire wear . I also ran with Super 40 rear ends and never had a problem . Everybody told me in the Super 40 rear ends would not take that type of work.
Just what and how I did it.

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.