New Lubricant categories CK-4 and FA-4
04-23-2016, (Subject: New Lubricant categories CK-4 and FA-4 ) 
New Lubricant categories CK-4 and FA-4
I wish this article was a bit more in depth... I have been poking around the internet, and can find nothing in regards to what additives are in these new oils, amounts and what has been reduced or even removed. Anyone know what these new formulas consist of?

---------------

At this year’s TMC, we know that the American Petroleum Institute’s (API’s) upcoming PC-11 lubricant specification changes will be a hot topic.

While most fleet managers and owners have heard about it, many are not sure of is how PC-11 changes will – or WILL NOT – impact their fleets.

The new specifications, set to go into effect December 2016, will not affect every business in the same way, according to Paul Cigala, application engineer, ExxonMobil. In fact, Cigala said, “it’s possible many fleets will see only a small impact from PC-11.”

Also, while the term “PC-11” may make it sound like this is one specification change, the API is actually setting a call out for two distinct lubricant categories, which will now be known as CK-4 and FA-4.

Below, Cigala discusses some of the most frequent questions he gets asked about PC-11 and how the specifications may impact certain fleets.

Q1: Why do we need a new category like PC-11?

Cigala: Overall, these two new oil categories are designed to deliver to the marketplace a series of commercial vehicle lubricants that can help ensure that engine durability is maintained with improvements in oxidation stability, aeration control, and shear stability.

The two PC-11 categories are CK-4 and FA-4.

CK-4 Oils: are designed to be direct replacements and enhancements to today’s CJ-4 engine oils. Key performance enhancements that CK-4 oils likely will deliver versus their CJ-4 counterparts include improved oxidation stability, aeration control and shear stability.

CK-4 oils will be available in XXW-40 and XXW-30 viscosity grades and will be suitable for new and older on-highway engines. While CK-4 oils will be backwards compatible for older engines, it’s important to know that the exact details on backwards compatibility will vary by engine manufacturer/OEM.

FA-4 Oils: The performance goal for these oils is to help enhance fuel economy.
In addition to meeting the new category performance requirements – including improved oxidation, aeration control, and shear stability – FA-4 oils will be designed to provide enhanced fuel economy.

Compared to their CK-4 counterparts, they will likely have more limited backwards compatibility. Consequently, fleets with engines that fall within the “backwards” compatibility set by the OEM may be able to use the FA-4 oil across their entire fleet.

Q2: How will PC-11 affect fleets?

Cigala: It’s important to know that PC-11 will not affect every business in the same way.

An example of a fleet that may see a small impact from PC-11 is one that is operating older equipment and mixed engine types. In this scenario, the fleet will likely only need to transition from its current CJ-4 engine oil to the newer CK-4 formulation. This also applies to off-highway equipment used in operations such as mining and construction, which are expected to use only the CK-4 formulation for the time being.

In comparison, fleets operating newer trucks with advanced engines should consult their OEM for recommendations on using both CK-4 and FA-4 formulations. While some OEMs may factory-fill newer engines with FA-4 oils, they will likely not require fleet managers to fill with FA-4 oils.

A fleet with a mix of older and newer equipment may also choose to stock both CK-4 and FA-4 formulations. CK-4 oils will be suitable for use in both older and newer equipment, but if the fleet is looking to enhance the fuel economy of its newer engines, their OEM may allow the use of FA-4 oils.

We anticipate that some fleets will want to be the earliest adopters of the highest-per- forming, newer engines, along with high-performance FA-4 oils. These fleets will probably share a commitment to meeting aggressive, sustainability-related goals.

Q3: What other impact on day-to-day operations do you think PC-11 might have for fleets?

Cigala: Obviously, choosing the right oil or oils for your fleet is an important first step and is something each fleet needs to carefully address with their lubricant supplier.

But beyond that, it’s important to know that PC-11 will NOT change many of the best practices that help drive the success of fleets. In fact, a number of those success factors will remain the same after PC-11 implementation. These include:

• Recruiting the right drivers
• Embracing strict safety protocols for drivers on the road and within a maintenance shop
• A proactive maintenance approach, whether in-house or outsourced
• Using a data-driven approach to optimizing drain intervals and vehicle performance.
Q4: How is ExxonMobil preparing for the new oil specifications and how is it helping companies prepare for the upcoming changes?

Cigala: ExxonMobil has been working closely with major commercial vehicle manufacturers and engine builders on PC-11 for a number of years, conducting extensive laboratory testing and field trials. Today, we have accrued more than 23 million miles of testing research.

We also have a number of technical experts who have played key roles in the initial development and advancement of specifications and testing parameters that are part of the overall PC-11 initiative.

We’re also working with fleet managers and owners of various sized fleets. Our field experts are helping them determine things like what will be the right oil choice/s for their business, or which of their trucks can be moved to a lower viscosity grade, without compromising the longevity of their equipment.

- See more at: http://www.ccjdigital.com/our-partners/m...tagCQ.dpuf
replyreply
RE: New Lubricant categories CK-4 and FA-4
"Enhanced oils" --- WILL NOT ENHANCE FUEL ECONOMY TO ANY KIND OF MEASURABLE DEGREE IN CLASS-8 ENGINES!!! ! -- PERIOD!.

IT IS A SNAKE-OIL PLAY TO REDUCE THE LIFESPAN OF ENGINES EVEN FURTHER BY THE EPA!.

REQUIREMENTS FOR REDUCED ZINC,.. MOLY,.. AND ALL THE OTHER INGREDIENTS THAT PROTECT YOUR ENGINE IS WHAT IT IS!>

THEY ONLY WANT ENGINES TO LAST 435,000 MILES NOW!.

That is my own take on it any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
That 435,000 mile number Rawze, where did you find that? And I believe you on this, just wondering as I am trying to educate myself on all of this insanity we are now all facing.
replyreply
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MWF...B003MAG004

What about adding this?
replyreply
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticle...ils101.php
replyreply
I just found sta-lube gl4 at napa parts
Yea
replyreply
04-24-2016, (Subject: New Lubricant categories CK-4 and FA-4 ) 
(04-23-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticle...ils101.php

Cute article. Reminds me of what people believe when they call one of those big-name crooked Delete companies that push mechanical turbo's.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.