Turbo ECM cm870
09-14-2018, (Subject: Turbo ECM cm870 ) 
Turbo ECM cm870
Hey guys I just got the Turbo ECM for my truck and I'm going to replace it today. So I see that it didn't come with any electrical grease. Can I use this spark plug grease as a substitute?.

As far as the air hoses that are connected to the ECM, should I use anything on the threads?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
RE: Turbo ECM cm870
Dielectric grease is the trade name. I'm sure spark plug grease is the same stuff, I would use teflon tape on the threads.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker
after reading the back of the lable, it said it can be used for bulbs and connectors. so i just put some of it in and finished the job.

so since i put that new module in, what should i expect now when i drive?. the old one was broken and didnt work.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
Its called the turbo actuator control module. You should hear the turbo spooling completely different. It will change pitch according to what the engine needs to meet your demands. Your stage 3 jakes will be A LOT more responsive.
Its good to see you went with a new Holset module. Stay away from reman Ebay ones. They will give you more trouble than the $200 savings is worth. Very shotty workmanship.

Is this for your Volvo?
How did you troubleshoot it?
If you have Insite go ECM diagnostic Tests and test the actuator air supply. Make sure there are no leaks anywhere in the piping and actuator itself. Stand next to the actuator and toggle it on off a couple time. Make sure you have no air leaking out around the armature. All air in the system should be purging out of the bottom of the control module.
Also be very careful with your teflon tape. Cummins install instructions recommend that you don't use it on any part of the air system for fear of unknowingly getting some inside the system. This system is very finicky and any kind of obstruction, including pinches, buldges, kinks or very minute leaks will throw it out of whack.

The ECM will adjust to leaks by pushing more actuator command percentage. But a lot of times it will over compensate, especially if the leak stops with the build in pressure. I found this out on mine when a leak on the actuator at around 30-50% command range and no where else. I would get violent boost spikes as the leak sealed passed the 50% range on the actuator and the ECM couldn't compensate fast enough.
1 last thing to check is make sure you have 90 psi supply to the module. I think the last update of the module comes with a pressure regulator built inside so if you have more than 90 psi to it, it should be fine.
My International runs the supply thru a 90 psi reducer\regulator attached to the brake treadle valve.
replyreply
(09-14-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Its called the turbo actuator control module. You should hear the turbo spooling completely different. It will change pitch according to what the engine needs to meet your demands. Your stage 3 jakes will be A LOT more responsive.
Its good to see you went with a new Holset module. Stay away from reman Ebay ones. They will give you more trouble than the $200 savings is worth. Very shotty workmanship.

Is this for your Volvo?
How did you troubleshoot it?
If you have Insite go ECM diagnostic Tests and test the actuator air supply. Make sure there are no leaks anywhere in the piping and actuator itself. Stand next to the actuator and toggle it on off a couple time. Make sure you have no air leaking out around the armature. All air in the system should be purging out of the bottom of the control module.
Also be very careful with your teflon tape. Cummins install instructions recommend that you don't use it on any part of the air system for fear of unknowingly getting some inside the system. This system is very finicky and any kind of obstruction, including pinches, buldges, kinks or very minute leaks will throw it out of whack.

The ECM will adjust to leaks by pushing more actuator command percentage. But a lot of times it will over compensate, especially if the leak stops with the build in pressure. I found this out on mine when a leak on the actuator at around 30-50% command range and no where else. I would get violent boost spikes as the leak sealed passed the 50% range on the actuator and the ECM couldn't compensate fast enough.
1 last thing to check is make sure you have 90 psi supply to the module. I think the last update of the module comes with a pressure regulator built inside so if you have more than 90 psi to it, it should be fine.
My International runs the supply thru a 90 psi reducer\regulator attached to the brake treadle valve.

I wouldnt have bought anything else other then OEM. Its hard to trust it when its electrical.... screw the 200$ when it might cost me more then that, like having to buy an acutall OME Turbo actuator module " I prefer Turbo Module lol " " but thanks for informing me ".

Yes its for the Volvo, well 3 or 4 weeks ago?. I had Uni look at my programming and all my active fault codes. So he told me to replace it but i cleaned it first to see if that would help? noop. I got some practice by taking it off and apart to look into the internals " out of curiosity ".

I didnt use that tape since, im clumsy and it all ways turns out messy for me.... so i didnt want to risk clogging it or worse breaking it. I just cleaned up the old fitting and i got new one since i thought maybe... it was leaking? I sprayed some soapy water around the fittins when the truck was working and Off. noop but i did find out that the fittings i replaced were bad after all and that one of my air bags leaks a little air when the truck isnt running.... so thats next on the list of parts to change " not looking forward to that, might need help with that lol".

I am going to have to wait until next week to order a Neqik adapter, getting the new one since i plan on getting another truck in the near future. Also Uni wont be back in shop till 21'st since he is slammed with work :/....

replyreply
That "Turbo ECM" module that you bought is OEM Holset.

As far as the leaking air bag. I usually plug the supply line going to it and then pull the leveling valve arm off and raise the suspension with the remaining bags. Then unbolt and replace the junk airbag. This is easily a 1 man job.
replyreply
I do my air bag by over inflating the system then letting it down on a 2x6 between the axle housing and frame rail.
replyreply
i like nilao's way, inflating the air bag and then i would put a bottle jack on the axle housing and frame rail and then deflate it.

replyreply
09-15-2018, (Subject: Turbo ECM cm870 ) 
I use the 2x6 because the weight of the frame will deform the wood and pick it in place. I'd be concerned a jack would slip as steel on steel doeent provide a lot of friction to keep it in place under pressure. My frame and acme housing isnt square to one another.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.