Another 870 thread- Engine vibration
04-27-2019, (Subject: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration ) 
RE: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration
I do have codes, but they're related to the truck running crappy in general. Mostly I was just wondering what would cause it to not even want to run with a supposedly brand new wiring harness. Which I took off and re-installed the old one and now it will start. So thanks for nothing Cummins! But I will investigate further with Insite- I've tried to use it alot to get familiar with what it can do, but much of it still escapes me.

There doesn't seem to be too many people capable of working on this motor effectively. I would be happy to take it to Gearhead, but he's seemingly out of the picture. And Chris told me he wasn't real good with them. When I had my 2350 down to Mr. Hags last year, I asked them about it but they didn't sound too enthused. Which I can't blame them, these newer motor seem to be easier to work on. So maybe a rebuild and make it a 871 is in order?
replyreply
04-27-2019, (Subject: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration ) 
Do you replacing only Cummins harness only or OEM harness as well? The problem is definitely the new harness. Open the wire diagram in quickserve for your engine to check with ohmmeter connections from sensor and actuator plugs to assigned pins on ECM plug. Harness was made by people we see everyday around us so mistake is not ruled out. Or harness for different ESN, salesman is from same breed of people.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark
04-28-2019, (Subject: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration ) 
So you have codes active when you turn the key on? What are they? If it is a harness problem or a sensor problem it should throw a code.

Wrong wire in the wrong place = code
Missing wire to sensor or module = Open loop = code
Bad wire with to much or to little resistance = Open loop or reading out of spec = code

Give us a list of the Active codes. Then the list of the Inactive codes. We may see something that leads to Cranking with no start or a pattern that leads to it. Take a Screen shot of the Code screen from Insite while you have it hooked to the truck.

Here's a quick youtube on a generic way to screenshot using windows.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...RIY6CYOAUw

You can also get free snapshot applications online and use them.

As far as tuning your CM870, PM Unilevers or Mommaburt they have no problem hooking in and getting that ECM sorted out for sure.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark
04-28-2019, (Subject: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration ) 
Emissions system aside those are different, but mechanically the 870 an 871 are virtually the same they have the same repair procedures so I can't see that scaring people away from them.

The tuning is a different story an I can see why people are staying away from it. Cause they're a bit of a pain if your still on the J1704 the ecm download an reupload can take a couple hours to complete, so fine tuning the vgt fueling an soi becomes hugely time consuming. Then there's the parameters in ram issue where they can only be edited with the keyon an what ones to change
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , ZeroNthedark
04-29-2019, (Subject: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration ) 
(04-28-2019 )ynot Wrote:  Emissions system aside those are different, but mechanically the 870 an 871 are virtually the same they have the same repair procedures so I can't see that scaring people away from them.

The tuning is a different story an I can see why people are staying away from it. Cause they're a bit of a pain if your still on the J1704 the ecm download an reupload can take a couple hours to complete, so fine tuning the vgt fueling an soi becomes hugely time consuming. Then there's the parameters in ram issue where they can only be edited with the keyon an what ones to change

Thank you for being a bit more eloquent than I. Pretty sure the beers dummed down my writing. I have no doubt them being so finicky makes for a chance of unpleasantness.
replyreply
(04-28-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  So you have codes active when you turn the key on? What are they? If it is a harness problem or a sensor problem it should throw a code.

I'll get them pulled whenever it stops raining around here. That makes some sense, but since the truck has been running so badly for so long it's hard for me to decipher which codes are actually trying to tell me something, i.e.;

- Code 559 has been popular recently, up in the hundreds. Just found a wire worn through which could possibly explain it, but it also gives me 546 or 547, can't remember which one exactly. Then it also throws a 2311, which is pretty similar in my eyes.
replyreply
Your 559 code is metering actuator fault. Data valid but below spec.

546 and 547 are fuel pressure sensor voltages out of spec. This can explain your crank and no start. Either the sensor or the wires could be bad or possibly the fuel pump crapped out on you or a restriction in the fuel system.

2311 is front fueling actuator circuit error. The front bank will not receive fuel.

Looks like you have some bad actuators and low or no fuel pressure. But without having current list of active faults and counts im just going off your remembered faults.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , ZeroNthedark
04-30-2019, (Subject: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration ) 
You mentioned that your dampener has been changed, did you use OEM or PukeDits?

My PukeDits one crapped out after about 6 months, and it was sudden.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
04-30-2019, (Subject: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration ) 
(04-30-2019 )Camstyn Wrote:  You mentioned that your dampener has been changed, did you use OEM or PukeDits?

My PukeDits one crapped out after about 6 months, and it was sudden.

Pretty sure it was OEM. Also had an additional mercury filled dampener installed, mostly because it was basically free because I had so much other stuff done at same time. Don't know if they're worth it or not. It's been 2 years now and no issues.

*edited for clarity- the Bot got me
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.