Another 870 thread- Engine vibration
04-30-2019, (Subject: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration ) 
RE: Another 870 thread- Engine vibration
(04-29-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Looks like you have some bad actuators and low or no fuel pressure.

Yes, you are exactly correct. Was also the reason I wasn't so worried about them because it's been an ongoing issue- a constant intermittent issue if you will. Which I believe was probably being caused by this:

Of course that wire goes to #1 timing actuator, so pretty sure that was majority of my issue.

BUT... If I'd just done what I should've done 7 months ago and ordered a new harness then this could've most likely been avoided. Don't know what I did wrong the other day, but after double checking most of the harness for continuity to plugs, I plugged it in again and now truck runs fine! Took it for a short test drive and did not have any warning lights or power issues like it has before. Time will tell, but it's going back to work tomorrow to find out for sure. So thank you for all the suggestions, but I'm considering this problem solved.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , snailexpress , Chamberpains
You also could have used Cummins quick-serve to check your codes for free and got the troubleshooting trees from the same website. Rip that harness loom off and repaired those wires. Probably would have saved you the cost of a brand new harness.

It's great to see you got to the root of it though. everything in this business is a learning lesson. Thanks for sharing.
replyreply
(04-30-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You also could have used Cummins quick-serve to check your codes for free and got the troubleshooting trees from the same website. Rip that harness loom off and repaired those wires. Probably would have saved you the cost of a brand new harness.

It's great to see you got to the root of it though. everything in this business is a learning lesson. Thanks for sharing.

That was actually part of my problem, checking the codes and following the troubleshooting trees. I spent almost as much in actuators and additional tools as I did on the harness. Some of it was needed, some was not, but it was certainly a valuable learning experience. And it was time for it to retire, it's been soaked in diesel and and oil for far too long. I had to change the engine brake harness and oil pressure/temp plugs to get the old one cleaned up a bit. It was so bad that oil was wicking up into the ECM and causing more issues on top the one(s) caused by that wire. Believe me, I did not want to spend that money, but it was past time.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.