Normal EGT temps
09-21-2018, (Subject: Normal EGT temps ) 
Normal EGT temps
Hi,

I had MommaBurt reprogram my CM870 this spring after i had some turbo issues. It had been deleted by the previous owner. I changed the turbo air control module, had the new one fail, and got another one from Cummins on warranty. Much thanks to Chamberpains, Mommaburt, Rawze for all your help and expertise.

I was just wondering what my EGT should run at "normally" ? right now i'm running a pyro gauge in the pipe after the turbo that came stock in the truck, and i installed a glowshift gauge like rawze showed on the manifold. The temp in the pipe seems to run 6-800F when I'm not loaded and maybe up 7-900 loaded. The temp on the manifold usually sits a 300F, and occasionally will get up to 400F, usually after I slow down off the highway. I'm assuming it's beacuse of the reduced airflow. I'm just wondering if this is too hot, or is it normal for demandated truck?
replyreply
RE: Normal EGT temps
Good to hear you got that thing straightened out.
Those sound like a perfectly normal temp all around. If I remember correctly you had a bigger HP tune. In pipe temps are higher than outside manifold temps. And the 1 your really concerned with is the outside manifold. You'll want to keep that one as far below 900° as you can at all times. Rawze says the turbo housing is only rated to 900°.
replyreply
Thanks!! I’ll quit worrying about it and just drive!! Lol , it’s tuned to 600HP now. Factory was 565. The power is really good, and truck has been working every day since spring. The only other issue I need to look into is a rough idle when it’s cold. Now that we’re into fall temps here (32F) it seems to lope a bit when it first start. Once it’s warm it runs nice. I’m thinking maybe the actuators?
replyreply
09-22-2018, (Subject: Normal EGT temps ) 
What is the max boost it will get up to in a hard pull?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-22-2018, (Subject: Normal EGT temps ) 
38-39 PSI. That’s on the stock boost gauge.
replyreply
09-24-2018, (Subject: Normal EGT temps ) 
900 post turbo in pipe temps is decent for a 600HP truck under full load. It should be fine.
replyreply
09-25-2018, (Subject: Normal EGT temps ) 
Ok, thanks Unilevers. And thanks for the help getting it tuned up properly.

The truck has a muffler located under the cab between the framerails. It comes out, then splits up into dual stacks. Just wondering if there would be any benefit to changing that setup to help the exhaust flow. (2006 Kenworth T800)
replyreply
09-25-2018, (Subject: Normal EGT temps ) 
(09-25-2018 )tsolson Wrote:  Ok, thanks Unilevers. And thanks for the help getting it tuned up properly.

The truck has a muffler located under the cab between the framerails. It comes out, then splits up into dual stacks. Just wondering if there would be any benefit to changing that setup to help the exhaust flow. (2006 Kenworth T800)

I've tinkered with that. Made a 5 inch down pipe on my Pete instead of factory 4 inch. Through the gutted can into 8 inch straight pipes. Doesn't seem to effect much. Biggest restriction is the turbo. Eliminating as many elbows and bends as possible may help but I wouldn't expect to see a huge difference.
replyreply
09-26-2018, (Subject: Normal EGT temps ) 
(09-25-2018 )tsolson Wrote:  Ok, thanks Unilevers. And thanks for the help getting it tuned up properly.

Doing a proper exhaust wrap would help the most.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.