Alignment
09-24-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
Alignment
Any of you guys do it yourself?
Or any good alignment shops?
What did they charge and did they straighten the steering wheel?
Thx for feedback and Rawze I think I may need your help again. Do appreciate ya.
replyreply
09-24-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
RE: Alignment
my thoughts on axle alignment...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid16060

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-29-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
(09-24-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  my thoughts on axle alignment...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid16060

You are spot on using the rear axles to account for the crown in the road. All trucks that spend most of their time on the highways should be set up in this manner. Much less driver fatigue (fighting the crown) and little to no wear on the steer tires because there is no excessive caster in the axle.
replyreply
09-30-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
Well, I was reading the link a few times. I wasn't really sure on how to do it so I did go to a TA and they did it. They showed me the results. They got it to 0. I like the nice picture they show but my friggin wheel still is at the 2 o clock when going down the highway.
I think i need to pull my steering wheel off turn it then put it back on. Anybody any luck doing that?
The wheel still pulls to the left some when going down the road. But now atleast I see where they place the shimes around your leaf springs in the back. its just how to get it right. I'll read it again.
replyreply
09-30-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
(09-30-2018 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  Well, I was reading the link a few times. I wasn't really sure on how to do it so I did go to a TA and they did it. They showed me the results. They got it to 0. I like the nice picture they show but my friggin wheel still is at the 2 o clock when going down the highway.
I think i need to pull my steering wheel off turn it then put it back on. Anybody any luck doing that?
The wheel still pulls to the left some when going down the road. But now atleast I see where they place the shimes around your leaf springs in the back. its just how to get it right. I'll read it again.

You think the steering wheel itself has ever been pulled off that thing before? -- Likely NEVER HAS BEEN!> - Your problem is 99% likely somewhere else. If not in the alignment, then it is a mis-alignment in the pitman arm or the steering shaft where it meets the power steering box. - I.E. Find the error and fix it where it is actually incorrect.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack
10-01-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
There is often times a notch or mark on the spline shaft that comes out of the steering gear box. That notch or Mark lines up with the split in the pitman arm. If those two marks are off. Then you just simply unbolt the pitman arm and slide it off then back on to have those two lineup.

As far as Rawzes percentage of it not being the steering wheel out of timing, he's a little high in that number. If your truck is in Old Fleet truck or Mega carrier truck the chances are quite high that they popped the steering wheel off and turned it to correct for Road crown or a driver complaint. This happens a lot with those trucks. But he is correct to start at the power steering gear box then steering shaft itself which has alignment marks that you can't get off by more than a tooth or two because the bolt goes in a groove on both ends of the steering shaft then you suspect the steering wheel itself being out of place
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , flatbed94kid
10-01-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
(10-01-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  ...
Mega carrier truck the chances are quite high that they popped the steering wheel off and turned it to correct for Road crown or a driver complaint. This happens a lot with those trucks.

Thanks for the insight. Hadn't calculated in the whole Mega-stupidity factor LOL.

Forgot to also mention ---

Turn it to the hilt one way all the way using a whole lot of strength and pull really hard (with about everything you got, like you want to break the steering wheel) while yanking the clutch out a few times backing up in a parking lot bobtail. This to forces the poppet valves to open, re-adjusting them to the hard stops. - Do this a couple times in both directions each while backing up, does not work when moving forward.

- Does it re4ach its hard-stops at consistent opposing angles? - or is it off the same amount when you do this too?

- Also drive it after and see if it pull one way or the other differently. - This could be a sign that the poppet valves might have been leaking internally, seen that before.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: flatbed94kid
10-02-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
Also, if you’ve ever changed a steering gear box you’ll know the steering linkage/column splines have to be aligned right where it connects to the gear box. Which might take a couple of trys to get it right... at least for some

Just a thought
replyreply
 Thanks given by: flatbed94kid
10-04-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
I dont want to pay a TA to look at it and not even fix it. I hate to have to pay them anything.
But my left steer tire is getting worse and they charge 40 to rotate my steers which I think I'll have to do b4 it's to long. I can do the parking lot thing Rawze said, idk how that will work. But Im trying to decide whether I should pay it and be over with or keep going. I got a load to San Antonio for Monday. Anybody around their who may be able to help or Rawze?
Also I am soon to be do for a PM on my truck. I rather do it myself as well. I'd like to get that done as well plus that is pretty straight forward work to be done. This wheel is driving me crazy. I'll be a little over 15k on my oil when I get down their and dont want to push it. Also I have an engine light on, TA charges 100 and Loves charges 80. To much money. I just need to get my insite squared away. Could use a hand. Swapping tires is so easy too.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.