Alignment
10-09-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
RE: Alignment
(10-09-2018 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  seems easy, pull the shaft out, new gasket, re-torque, reinstall and check rear oil levels.
how many foot lbs? not to bad to do. Just need a torque wrench but it's a good investment and for putting your wheels on you can torque them.

Don't forget if you have lockers you must apply air to engage the locker otherwise the sliding collar will fall. Not the end of the world but a bit fiddly to get back in place so the axle will slide in.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
10-10-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
Installed a reman sheppard box last month. Had to get the wheels off the ground to set the stops. Wouldn't do it with assist pressure driving the box. Also got the steering column (inside the truck under the bellows) and the steering wheel hub off by one spline. Caused the traction control to fault since the wheel spin side to side didn’t match the wheel steering wheel position. Just saying there's a sensor on the hub to be aware of

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
12-09-2018, (Subject: Alignment ) 
Update:
So new steer tires, balanced. It was aligned awhile back. Steering then got better but not where I wanted it.
I went to the steering gearbox first and saw it was keyed after removing that bolt on it. So no adjustment could be made.

I then poped the steering wheel off and moved it a notch. Drove it. Still a bit off. So repoped the steering wheel and good enough for me.

Only need a 30 mm socket for a Cascadia. No steering wheel puller is needed.
replyreply
01-07-2019, (Subject: Alignment ) 
Small shops are only worth anything if the owner gives a damn. Other than that your just paying a cheaper price for the same shmucks the dealership didn't get a chance to hire. Its a scary outlook in the truck repair landscape. Best thing you can do is know what needs to be done and micromanage the hell out of the job. After all, your paying the bill that makes you the boss. So educate yourself so you can be one of the owners that give a damn and gets your job done right.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: flatbed94kid
01-07-2019, (Subject: Alignment ) 
(01-07-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Small shops are only worth anything if the owner gives a damn. Other than that your just paying a cheaper price for th9e same shmucks the dealership didn't get a chance to hire. Its a scary outlook in the truck repair landscape. Best thing you can do is know what needs to be done and micromanage the hell out of the job. After all, your paying the bill that makes you the boss. So educate yourself so you can be one of the owners that give a damn and gets your job done right.

Here is my question. Ok I'm 24. I like being the younge guy but then I see some of these older folks who think bc I'm young that i am naive or whatever, sure I dont know everything. That's why I ask alot of questions and sometime I ask it again to make sure I understand. I respect my elders but dont like being taken advantage of. I know a few things about mechanics and what is a legit fix and what is half-arssed. So, I dont like it when I ask shops questions or I say something about the way I want it fixed and they will brush it off by saying it is nothing to worry about or it is just fine and dandy although I still have that odd feeling in my stomach like I'm being screwed over. I'll just have to fix it myself later till I get my warm and fuzzy feeling that it is up to my specs.Or I question about the bill, maybe you can talk them down 10% or 15% and be like, "oh my gosh I didn't know it was going to be this expensive." Because more then likely that is how it is. So what is the way to deal with these people? So I thought of something. I write a Google review about my experience. I keep my review based on my experience, or I make a YouTube video of my experience to tell others how it was.When I ask alot of questions. Maybe some are irritating for others to answer and that is what I can read in people's body language so I stop right their before things get out of hand. Use the internet to spotlight the good or the bad. Unfortunately good news doesnt travel near as fast as bad.
replyreply
01-08-2019, (Subject: Alignment ) 
As far as shops for alignment I and my dad goto "Deans Place" in Parker South Dakota
guy is pretty old schoolish as in he still has 2 machines ive never seen anywhere else

1 checks the tire trueness the other cuts the tire true. i had to have one of my steers cut it was out of wack in a few spots. he asked me if i felt a bounce in the steering wheel and i said "nothing new" .

after the tire cut first trip out of the road...i was dead wrong as the steering wheel felt awkward i guess its one of those things it comes on so slow you adjust to it then when it suddenly goes away your like WTF! how did i not notice that. was $432 bucks for all wheel alignment plus my cross link was bent so he straightened and rotated steers plus put on black rubber spacers from drum to wheel that ive never seen anyone use that reduced wear on aluminum rims against the drums. he also did some minor grinding on the hub slot on rim to help true out the wheels he knew what he wanted all looked like voodoo to me. but now my truck drives so much better i never knew it was bad.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.