Need help with a CM870
09-26-2018, (Subject: Need help with a CM870 ) 
Need help with a CM870
Hello,

Heya guys, just found the forum and I'm very impressed with the info on here. I'd love to start contributing where I can.

We have a 3 truck fleet and are having some issues with our 2005 Volvo with a CM870 ST400 CPL 8520 with 336 rears. The truck has suffered from lack of power since we bought it a few months ago and recently started losing coolant. We think it was the EGR cooler leaking, so we just installed this EGR bypass kit: {**Content removed by protection bot** - suspected advertising.}. We also sent the injectors for testing and were told 3 of them had check valves leaking, which would explain the extremely black fuel in both tanks and stopped up fuel filters.

After installing the new injectors, cleaning the fuel tanks and installing the EGR plug kit, the truck isn't running as well as it was before, very weak and smoke coming out of the stacks.

We're wondering if the software needs to be adjusted now that the EGR is blocked off? Unplug the EGR valve? The truck is actually over the road currently in St Louis and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a shop in that area that could possibly help?

We have insite and I ordered inline 6 today and it should be here in a few days.

I PM'd MommaBurt and Unilevers but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Thanks
replyreply
RE: Need help with a CM870
i just got back and am still catching up. I will pm you my number gimme call we can sort you out.

Uni
replyreply
Spoke with Unilevers, great guy! We're hoping I just have a boost leak currently and can get that fixed and then have him tune up the hp a bit.

Thanks for the help.
replyreply
(09-26-2018 )volman83 Wrote:  Hello,

Heya guys, just found the forum and I'm very impressed with the info on here. I'd love to start contributing where I can.

We have a 3 truck fleet and are having some issues with our 2005 Volvo with a CM870 ST400 CPL 8520 with 336 rears. The truck has suffered from lack of power since we bought it a few months ago and recently started losing coolant. We think it was the EGR cooler leaking, so we just installed this EGR bypass kit: {**Content removed by protection bot** - suspected advertising.}. We also sent the injectors for testing and were told 3 of them had check valves leaking, which would explain the extremely black fuel in both tanks and stopped up fuel filters.

After installing the new injectors, cleaning the fuel tanks and installing the EGR plug kit, the truck isn't running as well as it was before, very weak and smoke coming out of the stacks.

We're wondering if the software needs to be adjusted now that the EGR is blocked off? Unplug the EGR valve? The truck is actually over the road currently in St Louis and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a shop in that area that could possibly help?

We have insite and I ordered inline 6 today and it should be here in a few days.

I PM'd MommaBurt and Unilevers but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Thanks

Assuming for a moment that you live in a country that allows such mods ...

(09-26-2018 )volman83 Wrote:  ...
We think it was the EGR cooler leaking, so we just installed this EGR bypass kit: {**Content removed by protection bot** - suspected advertising.}.

You should also ask Unilevers about that plug kit. Many of those internet plug kits, the exhaust blocking plate is insufficient to hold back the 80 - 90+ PSI in the exhaust manifold. They often break/crack under the stresses and heat then destroy the turbocharger after a while.

There is no such thing as "We Think" on the EGR cooler unless your making blind guesses in the dark. Pressurize the coolant system to 20-PSI and let it sit for a few hours. See if the inside of the EGR cooler is getting wet. -- Stop "Guessing" at your problems and if a mechanic were to say something like that to me, i would tell him to stop "guessing" and FIND THE HELL OUT properly!.

(here is a video, different engine, same concept)

-- Also, you would be better ether replacing or welding the exhaust side of that EGR cooler shut if it is in fact leaky. It will likely become a bigger problem down the road. I also do NOT think it is a good idea to remove it completely or blocking coolant flow through it.

We're wondering if the software needs to be adjusted now that the EGR is blocked

currently in St Louis and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a shop in that area

YES, the engine will know what you did and derate itself in torque unless it is re-programmed for what you did.

NO, there is no one in that area I would even remotely consider sending someone to, not even someone I did not like!.

We also sent the injectors for testing and were told 3 of them had check valves leaking, which would explain the extremely black fuel in both tanks and stopped up fuel filters.

It is great that you found some leaky injectors but you did not need to remove them from the engine to find this out. Here is a video and procedure on how to test for exactly this. Just make sure you run/set the overhead valve adjustment before the test ...

And then there is the all too familiar guesswork of ill-fated logic from an undereducated mechanic blaming anything "black" in the fuel system always on "combustion gas", "Algea", or "soot" , and all sorts of guess-work garbage.

--- FIRSRT AND FOREMOSRT!!! -- ALL ISX ENGINES -- ALL OF THEM!!! THE FUEL FILTER WILL ALWAYS TURN BLACK NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE INJECTORS AND FUEL SYSTEM IS!!!. PERIOD!

This is because MOST NEWER DIESEL ENGINES use rail and/or injection pressures that break down bio-diesel blends and cause a buildup in the fuel system called "ashpaltine". it is a normal process of the fuel system. Using a 10-micron Davco or fuel-water separator filter will keep it at bay and out of the tanks.

For ANY mechainc to look inside your fuel tanks and blame anything at all that is "black" or to look at your fuel filters or fuel components and say "must be combustion gasses or soot" is completely undereducated -- It is like saying "The car accident must have directly been caused by the skid-marks in the road and not the excessive speed,.. look, they lead right up to the car."

If you want to investigate what is actually in your fuel system, send off a fuel sample to a real lab instead of one of those over-night crap "color test" placebo's and see what is actually in your fuel.

-- I am not ranting at anyone directly here as much as I am pointing out the brainwashing and blindness that so many people get themselves caught up into. -- NEVER EVER guess --- Investigate and solve your problems properly. Stay away from mechanics that are blind, arrogant, too lazy to perform proper tests, and undereducated as well.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark , Baco74

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.