White Exhaust Stack
09-27-2018, (Subject: White Exhaust Stack ) 
White Exhaust Stack
Hey guys-

I’ve noticed my exhaust stack has been turning white. I have about 480k miles on the truck. Runs great (knock on wood). Our oil samples have been clean with no coolant. Haven’t had to add any either. We’ve been using Howes fuel additive for each fill up (which might be causing this). Any other suggestions, thoughts or opinions?? I called Cummins and they said we don’t have to use additive quite that often but I won’t hurt or help the performance of the engine. Let me know what y’all think. God Bless.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201809/post_3559_1538103907_ffe3a217471b107c16954cd95e5160fd.png
replyreply
09-27-2018, (Subject: White Exhaust Stack ) 
RE: White Exhaust Stack
Emissions still intact? Just looks like normal urea deposits to me.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
09-28-2018, (Subject: White Exhaust Stack ) 
I agree with brock. That is normal deposits from the urea...
replyreply
Emissions are still intact. Thanks for the information guys. Really appreciate it.
replyreply
When is the last time the IMAP and other sensors were cleaned and replaced?.

The DPF Doser injector cleaned or replaced behind the turbo?

The DEF filter screen and injector cleaned?.

It also has 480k on it,.. Have you replaced the guts in the fuel pump yet? -- If not, your tempting fate with the fuel pump failure of engine death syndrome. No one wants that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver , Waterloo
10-02-2018, (Subject: White Exhaust Stack ) 
Thanks for the reply Rawze. You da man! We’ve replaced all the sensors. That was one of the first things I did when we bought the truck. When we had the overhead done Cummins said the injectors were good, however they also thought the fuel pump had been upgraded. We called the previous owner of the truck as well as the salesman who sold it and the pump has not been upgraded. We’re going to make a few more calls tomorrow but we’ll be definitely upgrading the pump ASAP. Any pointers before we get it done or any specific questions to ask? Any idea how long the upgrade takes as well as a ball park cost of the upgrade?? Thanks a million!

TJ
replyreply
(10-02-2018 )kenneth worthington isx2350 Wrote:  Thanks for the reply Rawze. You da man! We’ve replaced all the sensors. That was one of the first things I did when we bought the truck. When we had the overhead done Cummins said the injectors were good, however they also thought the fuel pump had been upgraded. We called the previous owner of the truck as well as the salesman who sold it and the pump has not been upgraded. We’re going to make a few more calls tomorrow but we’ll be definitely upgrading the pump ASAP. Any pointers before we get it done or any specific questions to ask? Any idea how long the upgrade takes as well as a ball park cost of the upgrade?? Thanks a million!

TJ

yeah, change tappets, plungers, and rollers. Most will only change just the plungers.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
And don't forget to get enough oring washers, Cummins is against including everything you'll need in a handy kit. Done yourself, should be able to eat breakfast and get to work, wrap it up before you're hungry for dinner(lunch). I just was working on the books and came across my parts, I also did my fuel pump actuator and for parts only it was around the 600-700 dollar mark. And don't tip the rollers sideways or the pin slides out.....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Anybody know where I can get the parts numbers or any instructional videos for a reference? I’d really like to perform the job myself and save $$$ but I’m not exactly positive if it’s a job I can take on confidently. I’m guessing the big shops would charge a pretty hefty price for doing the work.

Thanks for your time guys.

TJ
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.