Lonestar CM871 MPG
10-05-2018, (Subject: Lonestar CM871 MPG ) 
Lonestar CM871 MPG
Hi all trying to coax more MPG out of this pig of a truck.
2010 Lonestar - CM871/EGR/DPF - 13sp - Tripac APU - 1025000Miles 150k on overhaul and DPF replacement, 90k on new turbo/actuator, 500HP Cummins stock tune 2017 March update with DOC DPF TSB CPL reprogram
Computer says 3.36 Gears in insite, dealer said 3.55 "72MPH 1450-1475rpmish", seems to be regening every 100-150miles, pulling flatbed 70-78k lbs.

Running flatbed i cant really slow down and baby it i'm running regional making next day deliveries and reloads.

Bought the truck 1 month ago.
What i'm getting - 4.5-4.7MPG
Speeds i've tried running - 67-72 fuel mileage doesn't change in that range.

Things i've done - "All cummins parts" new IMAP/Exhaust Backpressure/EGR delta.
I have insite and couldn't get a lifetime fuel mileage it said 32mpg "i wish" i dont know if this is because i have the information center where the big cubby usually is or not as my trip mpg in dash reads 0.0 and instant trip fuel mileage is reading all sorts of weird numbers.

Sometime soon i plan on getting an overhead done as i don't know the status since it was overhauled.

I have yet to get the full egr tuneup done as i just became an owner-op from company driver and truck down time after all the cash i spent to jump into this is a short term pipe dream.

ied like to see what i can pull out of it before delving into "tuning" or maybe i have to before i can do better i dunno. my fathers doing the same thing with a 2007 T600 with a CM870 getting 5.5-6 with no tuning.

So as i said i have Insite working but only have cal-term stuck at the pc-id stuff to activate it.

Any help you all could offer would be wonderful. and thank you Rawze i think ive watched every youtube video youve made feel much better about owning a longnose....prostar ;>

also regens are 3.5-4.0 in/hg in the history with 520-570/900-1150/1050-1100 temps i did a forced regen with insite and got a .8 in/hg in history.

also runs the same on all 6 cyls while doing a cyl cutout running 1 at a time.
replyreply
10-05-2018, (Subject: Lonestar CM871 MPG ) 
RE: Lonestar CM871 MPG
I have a 16 lonestar with a Cummins 2350 in if I run around 65 for the most part I can get around 6.2 to 7.0 on fuel mileage in run around 35 in up on weight ..I pull a dry box with a med roof so I'm not sure why it getting so low of fuel mileage ..I'm working on doing the egr tune up now but I have found if u slow down some it does get better ..
replyreply
10-06-2018, (Subject: Lonestar CM871 MPG ) 
yeah im thinking my overhead is out some plus the dpf popping off every 150miles or so is hurting a bunch i might just be due for a cal term tune if i live in an area where demandating is quite a normal option to take.
replyreply
I bet you have a leaky injector, or a doser leaking.
Do an injector leak down test

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
You never mentioned if you had a boost and pyro gauges in the dash, nor if you drive by them or just ignore them like most greenhorns do. -- WITHOUT THEM OR IGNORING THEM, YOU ARE DRIVING WITHOUT THE TOOLS NECESSARY TO ACTUALLY SAVE FUEL!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Posted by lonestar16 - Today
Quote:I pull a dry box with a med roof

A reason you can't break in to the 7's is a mid roof doesn't match up to the box trailer very well. The trailer acts like an flat air dam that you have to push around all the time. The faster you go, the more wind resistance you'll get. One of those aftermarket air dam's may help you in the aerodynamic department.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I can brake into 7 if I really watch my speed in keep my boost under 10 as much as I can..but yes and air dam would help out some
replyreply
Yes sorry rawze truck has a factory Boost gauge but no pyro as of yet.
ive watched your videos and know i should drive by them but with my time constraints shipper to receiver to next shipper and being green to tarping/strapping/chaining im a bit slower than a vet so i cant slow down to anything really nominal. im typically loaded around 74-79k/lbs with maybe 25-75mile bounces between loads

when on flat ground at 67MPH boost is typicaly steady just above the 10lbs mark so maybe 12-13lbs and when i pull a hill it can hit 35 to right below the 40lb mark but every now and then it will throw a fit hit 30lbs then fall off to 20-25lbs with no warning lights"maybe a silent derate?"

with the huge lonestar radiator for the most part the fan never kicks on and sits around 185 degree mark. really only gets above it when taking off from a stop but at speed and small hills its rock steady going up on the decently large longer pull hills.

I have tried driving with magic plug undone and it doesn't effect mileage at all but power seems to be the same.

as im not an authority holding owner-op im leased on with a small company getting a very good 88% of every loads pay so its a decent gig and they get great rates and only ask to be ontime and have a clean truck and trailer to the best of our ability.

i guess im just to used to seeing the 8mpg steady my 2016 cascadia at Crete with dd15 and manual 10sp i drove and i definitely didn't drive for fuel mileage it was get to the governor and hold it there as fast and as much as possible at 65mph it was pedal to the floor from 0 to 65 chasing the pennies per mile.

im a bit more lenient on my own truck not smashing the accelerator.

sorry if im a bit longwinded i just want ever bit of info i can offer out there.
replyreply
what good is better pay if it is flying out the window? - You end up loosing money in wearing your truck out faster and beating it to death.

just as a reference here, my boost gauge suits at zero going down the road unless I am in a head wind. I also never let it get above about 12-15 even in a hard pull. I find a better gear with higher rpm instead.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.