Rebuild time
10-07-2018, (Subject: Rebuild time ) 
Rebuild time
To start off with this I want to thank rawze for the site and all the help I'm going to get on this and maybe a little a$$ chewing but being young and dumb and didn't know that much about the isx engines.....

A little bit on the truck it's a 06 Pete 378 with a cm870 565 hp 13 speed 3.70 rears ( started out 475hp with a 8LL and 4.56 rears and mechanically govner at 65 mph at 2000rpm) it has almost 26000 hours on it and only 229000 miles and runs really good but it doesn't have the fuel mileage, so I'm looking to get some good ideas on how to set it up, I'm in the oil field making delivery for chemicals and pull smooth bore trailer and iso trailer ( a 20' container with a 6400 gal tank in it and it's about as aerodynamic as a parachute) and using a liquid pump and a air compressor on PTO, with the little bit that I know on the truck it sat on location just idling 24/7 and running a different PTO setup,

Now the bad part ( I know a a#& chewing is coming) it is de-mandated I haven't had any issue with it but may need a little help with programming it and getting it right

Now the good parts, I have done the rods and mains bearings and injectors and the damper and a few little things but it's time to infame it
replyreply
RE: Rebuild time
Sounds like you’ve done what you can towards efficiency with the tranny and rears but your line of work doesn’t lend much towards hypermiling. Get the programming sorted by a reputable source so your not pounding out those new rods & mains but I wouldn’t expect much more towards mileage. As far as an inframe goes what is going on that has you thinking along those lines? If it’s not using any coolant or excessive amounts of oil keep your eyes open and your money in the bank. JMO.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack , Waterloo
(10-07-2018 )Rtrucking Wrote:  ... cm870 565 hp 13 speed 3.70 rears ( started out 475hp ...

This throws a red flag to me towards programming. Many of those piss-poor deel;te shops will use programs of higher HP with a lower HP spec engine. The problem is that there is different hardware and even different injectors inside different HP engines. The CM870's in particular, unlike newer engines, also have variation in cam offsets when build based on ser# ranges and CPL. Makes them even more susceptible to problems when not using the exact program based on its data-plate. - Use a program (demandated or not) that does not belong to the hardware you have and some of the efficiency takes a dump because the computer is assuming it has the different hardware or different cam offsets.

The correct thing to do is only use the program designed for that model and ser# engine. Either only use a program that has been gone through to ensure 100% compatibility, or better yet, change the torque and hp from within the correct program for your engine. 99% of the time no one does this. They just dump in a higher HP factory program that they they guessed at, and went from there. - Not good.
reference: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1

some info on cam offsets...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid29926

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , Waterloo
Get the programming sorted out ASAP. And like schISM stated, if it is not using oil and or there is an issue with the head, I would not in frame, I would work the truck. I worked in the oil field too, like others here, fuel economy is going to be what it is. If fuel economy is your only reason to in frame, save your money. Fix the programming, that will do more for your fuel mileage than an in frame. Put your hard earned money to better uses.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM
The whole reason I was thinking it need a infame was the company that had the truck didn't really take good care of it, I've been finding a bunch of little stuff on the engine that was not right and the hours don't scare any of you, I did put on a by-pass filter and I'm doing regular oil changes and oil sampling to make sure nothing is going wrong but on some days it doesn't have any blow-by and some days is does, but like I said I don't know these engines that well and I'm trying to learn how to get it right, this week I just replace the actuators for timing and metering it did smooth it out but I'm trying to fix what I can when I can, being on call 24/7 doesn't give much time to try and I work on it
replyreply
First thing you have to do is sort out the programming. You do not know what is going on internally in the motor. Like Rawze stated, these 870 motors are a tricky piece to get right. Until you fix that issue, you honestly do not know what you have. The bit of blow by may just be the programming doing damage to a perfectly good motor. You need to get with Unilever or Gearhead. I believe you can mail your ECM to Gearhead in PA and have him fix it and get it right back to you if you do not have an Inline reader. That is where you need to start.

Here is Gearhead's contact info, he may be there today.

http://www.pricesdieselrepair.com/contact
replyreply
I do have a inline 6 and insite 7.62 it's just a matter of time to get it done
replyreply
PM Unilevers or MommaBurt. Get it sorted out remotely while you have down time. Even out in the field. If you can turn your phone in to a WiFi hotspot and you have good solid reception you can do it anywhere your phone picks up good reception. It'll only take an hour at most probably quicker if you dont have a slow j1708 connection. Most trucks came with faster j1939 connectors. My international did not.

Your intermittent blow by could be bad programming. It could be running poorly on a cool day and not hot or your at a higher altitude and you ECM doesnt know it. There's a lot going on in them these days. You need to know its right 1st. Before you jump down many wrong expensive rabbit holes.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.